+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Decieved, lied to and ripped off by DirecTV

I've had a bad experience with DirecTV. In March '07 a friend and I went to work on a job about 4 hours from here. We rented a house and started looking into TV service. Our only choices were Dish Network or DirecTV. I have Dish here at home, so I know about the 18 month contract. This job was only supposed to last 7 months, so Dish Network was out. I knew nothing about DirecTV at that time. I saw an ad for DirecTV, I think it promoted a free DVR or something, anyway I called them an explained that we would only be there for 7 months or so and I didn't want any contract. The man on the phone said "oh, that's no problem". There was already a dish in the back yard from the previous tenent, so we ordered their services, the recievers were sent and we were good to go. It was all done over the phone. I never signed any contract, there was no paperwork at all. Oh yeah, I also was told that a $100 deposit was required, of which I would recieve $80 back upon return of the equipment. I had to give my debit account number and the deposit and monthly payments were taken directly from my checking account. So the 7 month job turned into a 15 month job and when I came back home I cancelled the DirecTV service. Lo and behold, they took $124 from my checking account for early cancellation penalty. When I cancelled they told me they would be sending a package for me to return the equipment. It never came. I had to call and have another one sent and barely made the one month deadline for returning the equipment, which would have cost me even more. I emailed them explaining that I never signed any contract and would not have entered into any contract because I thought I was only going to be there for 7 months. They basically kept telling me that I broke the contract and was penalized and that's the way it is. I kept emailing them and they kapt telling me the same thing. They even told me that "Your installation was performed by DIRECTV TV BY BASIC who can be reached at (800) 820-9379." and that I needed to take this up with them. Then one day, to my suprise, a DirecTV supervisor called me and said she read my emails and that she was going to refund my $124 dollars. She said that once she made this decision no one can change it. I was elated! When I mentioned the $100 deposit, she seemed suprised, like that's not policy or something, She wasn't real clear as to wether I'd be getting that back or not. So I sent another email asking about my deposit and they told me " please be advised that your initial deposit is non- refundable. Returning the leased receiver, prevented you from being charged the non- return equipment fee." So here I am, 3 months after I cancelled, 2 months since I was told I'd be getting my $124 back, and I haven't recieved a dime from them. Sorry this post got so long.
    Last edited by WCB; 09-05-2008 at 04:48 AM. Reason: too long

Re: Decieved, lied to and ripped off by DirecTV

Thanks for posting. Lessons learned: Giving just about any company your debit account number: BAD IDEA. Giving it for DirecTV: very bad idea. Follow your bank's procedure for disputing an unauthorized withdrawal. Do it ASAP! There are deadlines you may have already missed for doing so. Do you have documentation regarding the $100/$80 deposit? Provide that. If not, you're probably not going to get it back, but thanks for warning others...

Ok, first of all a simple google search will show you that ONLY cable companies do not have contracts. Additionally, when someone comes to install the TV services at your rental location, they made you sign a paper. They CANNOT install until you sign the form. That form is your contract. Clearly the installation was done by a third party, who has your contract. (It sounds as if the TV services were ALSO purchased through a third party retailer.)

Honestly, if you trusted a rep over the phone (this goes for any company) then you shot yourself in the foot. People get commissions, they'll lie to you and they don't care. Read what you sign, and RESEARCH before you purchase. AND NEVER PURCHASE ANY SERVICES OVER THE PHONE!

Quote Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
    Ok, first of all a simple google search will show you that ONLY cable companies do not have contracts. Additionally, when someone comes to install the TV services at your rental location, they made you sign a paper. They CANNOT install until you sign the form. That form is your contract. Clearly the installation was done by a third party, who has your contract. (It sounds as if the TV services were ALSO purchased through a third party retailer.)

Honestly, if you trusted a rep over the phone (this goes for any company) then you shot yourself in the foot. People get commissions, they'll lie to you and they don't care. Read what you sign, and RESEARCH before you purchase. AND NEVER PURCHASE ANY SERVICES OVER THE PHONE!
    Okay, "first of all", we were working out of town on a construction job, gee didn't think I'd be needing my computer, hence no google search, nor did that ever cross my mind. Second of all, there was already a satellite dish at the house when we moved in, the receiver was mailed to us, we hooked it up ourselves, and then had to call someone to get it activated and set up. I never met anyone face-to-face and never saw nor signed any paperwork. Third of all, call me naive or whatever, but I didn't realize that a company rep would lie to me in the way they did. I certainly know better now. So, get the facts straight before you spout off. I never signed ANYTHING!!!

Quote Originally Posted by elvey View Post
    Thanks for posting. Lessons learned: Giving just about any company your debit account number: BAD IDEA. Giving it for DirecTV: very bad idea. Follow your bank's procedure for disputing an unauthorized withdrawal. Do it ASAP! There are deadlines you may have already missed for doing so. Do you have documentation regarding the $100/$80 deposit? Provide that. If not, you're probably not going to get it back, but thanks for warning others...
    I did dispute the unauthorized withdrawal, but to no avail. Seems there was no record of any contract (you reading this Lisan23 ?) so she credited my account for $132.00. Now I get a bill from DirecTV every month showing a -$132.00 balance. I'm not sure when I'll get my money, probably when my 2 year 'contract' expires. The only proof I have of the $100 deposit is my bank statement showing the deduction. Folks, this is the first time in 46 years on this earth I've ever been treated like this by a corporation, I usually don't gripe or complain much, but from people I've talked to this is business as usual for DirecTV and there's no way I'll simply let it go. I've also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, whatever that's worth. I hope others will read this and not let the same thing happen to them.
    Last edited by WCB; 09-29-2008 at 07:53 AM.

I said: Follow your bank's procedure for disputing an unauthorized withdrawal. You did that, or you just talked to Directv?
    http://www.google.com/search?q=bank+ach+dispute+days suggests you had 60 days, per what's called "Regulation E". Sorry you got screwed. Do NOT wait 2 years; you won't get the $ back then! You could also talk to the local cable regulator, which is probably part of your county gov't.

Have you ever tried to get a contract from directv or dish network before you gave them any information except for your address?

I also thought it was to prove that the installer came out a did the work.

Dish has a no term commitment if you pay a $99.00 activation fee.
    Last edited by gpatrick900; 10-14-2008 at 08:31 AM.

I sympathize with you for being tricked by DirecTV. They did it to me as well.

I suggest that you inform the Better Business Bureau about your problem. Their charging me an early termination fee and I'm disputing that.

Here's part of the complaint I send to the BBB: About a year ago, I subscribed to Directv. Now I'm moving out of the Country and they want to charge me us $220.00 as an early termination fee. First of all, Mr. Ball, the person who offered me the service over the phone, was dishonest and never mentioned that I would have to sign a 2-year contract. I was very angry when I found out that I had been tricked. Their technician came to my house, installed the dish, made sure the channels were working, showed me how to operate the remote, and only then he gave me a piece of paper to sign. To my understanding that was to confirm that the dish was installed and that the signal was fine. I didn’t know I was signing a contract. Let alone a 2-year one! That was a scam! Second, my moving was unexpected. I didn’t know about it a year ago. I’m not a fortune teller! Can you please help me get out of this mess?

I hope more people will access the BBB, so that others won't go through the same as we have.

DirecTV has been making a lot of money by deceiving their customers.

Kind regards,
    Simone

Simone, My advise to you is to write DirecTV and tell them how you were decieved. Of course they'll respond saying "too bad" (basically). Just keep on writing them, call them thieves and scam artists, etc. and don't let up. Be persistent. That's what I did and I eventually got $132 back. I gave up on getting my $100 deposit, but at least I got something. And you're probably right, I bet they make a lot of money this way. Just think how many people get screwed and never try to get their money or just give up. Good luck.

I setup service with them in 2/28/09. Since, day one I loose picture and/or sound every 5 to 10 mins. I'm unable to watch a single show without guessing what happens in the missing moments.

On the plus side, my time for reading has increased. Too bad I'm paying a lot of money for really bad service.

So, I have called tech support. The last call was my favorite. She said well let's reproduce the problem. I said fine, let's wait a few minutes. She said she didn't have time for that. She would need to ask me to call back in when the issue was occuring. I said - I have it recorded and it happens every 5 to 10 mins. It was happening when I started the call. I told her wanted to speak with her supervisor. She obviously got an attitude. WOW, where did she work before AOL?

Anyway, after having 10 calls into tech support and 2 techs. I still have no resolution. I have gotten a whole $21.00 in credit. Too bad, I've paid +$200 for something that doesn't work.

I put in a complain to BBB today. I have also asked Directv to have their customer compaint depart to contact me. OH you should see the email. It's so frustrating.

I called in and asked for the complaint depart. I finally got forwarded to the escalation team. SO>>>> ask for your case to be escalated.

I'll let you know if it does any good.

Subject
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    System issues

Discussion Thread
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Response (Debbie G ID U6838) - 05/09/2009 02:19 PM
    Dear Michelle,

Thanks for writing. I am sorry to hear that there was a problem with your DIRECTV service. I will be happy to address this issue. As you requested, I tried to call you today at around 2:10 PM. to assist you, but I was unable to reach you. If you are still having a problem with your service please call and we can assign a case management agent to your case. We only issue credit for time without service for specific dates that we are aware of and if you have not called and reported a problem on certain days then you would not be able to receive credit for those days.

I have added a $5.00 credit for six months to help compensate for you problems. You can verify this credit by signing in at directv.com/mydirectv and clicking on the “Recent Activity” link below the “My Account” section. If you have any more question or issues please give us a call so we can fully address this issue.

Thanks again for writing.

Sincerely,

Debbie G

I learned something new today!

One of the techs states if you email stating your expect a phone call. They are told they have to call!

OH, so email several times and tell them to call. Waste their time for a change. I think next time, I'm going to recite what I think Good Customer server is.

OH, I know. I'll read raving fan to them.

I have seen your criticism on other direcTV complaint boards. You are a TROLL. You probably get paid by DirecTV to do this. They are a scandalous company and any company that does not take responsibility of their sales people and the deceitfulness that they practice should not be trusted. Furthermore, any company that refuses to take that responsibility should be forced to by their customers!

ORGANIZE AGAINST DIRECTV - I HAVE CREATED A GROUP ON FACEBOOK TO TAKE ACTION AGAINST DIRECTV FOR THEIR GREEDY AND SOMETIMES ILLEGAL PRACTICES LIKE THE ONE MENTIONED ABOVE.

PLEASE JOIN -

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=93256318115

Quote Originally Posted by WCB View Post
    I've had a bad experience with DirecTV. In March '07 a friend and I went to work on a job about 4 hours from here. We rented a house and started looking into TV service. Our only choices were Dish Network or DirecTV. I have Dish here at home, so I know about the 18 month contract. This job was only supposed to last 7 months, so Dish Network was out. I knew nothing about DirecTV at that time. I saw an ad for DirecTV, I think it promoted a free DVR or something, anyway I called them an explained that we would only be there for 7 months or so and I didn't want any contract. The man on the phone said "oh, that's no problem". There was already a dish in the back yard from the previous tenent, so we ordered their services, the recievers were sent and we were good to go. It was all done over the phone. I never signed any contract, there was no paperwork at all. Oh yeah, I also was told that a $100 deposit was required, of which I would recieve $80 back upon return of the equipment. I had to give my debit account number and the deposit and monthly payments were taken directly from my checking account. So the 7 month job turned into a 15 month job and when I came back home I cancelled the DirecTV service. Lo and behold, they took $124 from my checking account for early cancellation penalty. When I cancelled they told me they would be sending a package for me to return the equipment. It never came. I had to call and have another one sent and barely made the one month deadline for returning the equipment, which would have cost me even more. I emailed them explaining that I never signed any contract and would not have entered into any contract because I thought I was only going to be there for 7 months. They basically kept telling me that I broke the contract and was penalized and that's the way it is. I kept emailing them and they kapt telling me the same thing. They even told me that "Your installation was performed by DIRECTV TV BY BASIC who can be reached at (800) 820-9379." and that I needed to take this up with them. Then one day, to my suprise, a DirecTV supervisor called me and said she read my emails and that she was going to refund my $124 dollars. She said that once she made this decision no one can change it. I was elated! When I mentioned the $100 deposit, she seemed suprised, like that's not policy or something, She wasn't real clear as to wether I'd be getting that back or not. So I sent another email asking about my deposit and they told me " please be advised that your initial deposit is non- refundable. Returning the leased receiver, prevented you from being charged the non- return equipment fee." So here I am, 3 months after I cancelled, 2 months since I was told I'd be getting my $124 back, and I haven't recieved a dime from them. Sorry this post got so long.
    ORGANIZE AGAINST DIRECTV - I HAVE CREATED A GROUP ON FACEBOOK TO TAKE ACTION AGAINST DIRECTV FOR THEIR GREEDY AND SOMETIMES ILLEGAL PRACTICES LIKE THE ONE MENTIONED ABOVE.

PLEASE JOIN -

Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900 View Post
    Have you ever tried to get a contract from directv or dish network before you gave them any information except for your address?

I also thought it was to prove that the installer came out a did the work.

Dish has a no term commitment if you pay a $99.00 activation fee.

PLEASE JOIN -

Quote Originally Posted by Organize Now View Post
    I have seen your criticism on other direcTV complaint boards. You are a TROLL. You probably get paid by DirecTV to do this. They are a scandalous company and any company that does not take responsibility of their sales people and the deceitfulness that they practice should not be trusted. Furthermore, any company that refuses to take that responsibility should be forced to by their customers!

Off topic

This is cute. A troll calling another poster a troll.