+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morals, Ethics

Morals, Ethics

What are morals? Are they different than ethics? Do they exist?

Re: Morals, Ethics

is this a test!?ther's always google!!i can spend endless hours chasing the truth/answer about anything there!?: :crazy1: : hehe!!.....just askn....
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by dougsnuggler View Post
    Morals can be described in my own words as having a conscience, taking other people into consideration, and knowing the difference between right and wrong. Morals go hand in hand with Ethics, in my view, they come under the same umbrella, although they are slightly different.

Here is an example, a company sells a product to people knowing it contains toxic cancer causing chemicals, but if they don't sell the product, their company will go bankrupt. They know that their product could potentially kill thousands of people but they also want to make money.

The company has no morals and poor ethical standards. Why? Because they know their product is harmful but they are still selling it.

Another example, a person knowingly introducing another person to a program where they have a high percentage of losing their money, but because they are going to get a commission or percentage of money from each person they introduce regardless of whether the person makes money or not, carries on getting people to join the scam because of what they are going to gain out of it.

This person, to me, has little morals and low ethical standards.

Yes, morals and ethics exist and there are still some good people around.
    Karma is a Biatch! :yelcutelaughA:

Con artists revealed as the criminals they are! freakB:

The IGNORE feature is the best answer for a FOOL!

Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong.

Okay, but both your examples show low morals and poor ethics. I can find examples of people doing great things with great morals and great ethics.

Can you find an example of someone who has low morals but great ethics or great morals but poor ethics?

Is there a difference or are they two ways of describing the same thing?
    A real, honest, falsifiable claim made b.y Seer of dreams:(2011)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cnance View Post
    I believe there will be a nuclear war in October of this year.
    Oh Cnance.... Full of shit as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_jag View Post
    Okay, but both your examples show low morals and poor ethics. I can find examples of people doing great things with great morals and great ethics.

Can you find an example of someone who has low morals but great ethics or great morals but poor ethics?

Hi Lord-jag,

Both examples show low morals and low ethics, that was what I intended.

I am sure there are people with great morals and good sound ethics.

To me, they go hand in hand, although they are slightly different. You either have good morals and good ethics or bad morals and poor ethics.

I would be interested in your examples or views.

Of course, the original question facilitates discussion, which is what Dougsnuggler intended, I'm sure.
    Karma is a Biatch! :yelcutelaughA:

Con artists revealed as the criminals they are! freakB:

The IGNORE feature is the best answer for a FOOL!

Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong.

Okay so you're taking the stance that they are tightly correlated then.

I'm thinking hard, and for some reason I think ethics and morals are different. Usually a person we think of as a bad person fails in both areas and a good person succeeds in both areas.

For some reason, I think I should be able to come up with an example of how someone can demonstrate ethics but have poor morals. I agree that this example will be rather rare to come by.

Perhaps if we look up the words it will be clear:

Ethics:
    (used with a singular or plural verb) a system of moral principles: the ethics of a culture.

Morals
    noun
    motivation based on ideas of right and wrong

So, it suggests to me that if someone defines a set of morals, good or bad, and they follow them all the time, they are ethical.

Someone who always tortures people the same way depending on their crimes could be called ethical, but totally immoral.

Someone who always does good things but doesn't follow a set of rules might have greal morals, but no ethics because they don't have a system of morals.

Does that sound plausable?
    A real, honest, falsifiable claim made b.y Seer of dreams:(2011)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cnance View Post
    I believe there will be a nuclear war in October of this year.
    Oh Cnance.... Full of shit as always.

Quote Originally Posted by dougsnuggler View Post
    Someone posed this question quite a while ago, this was and is my thought...

Morals= something you ignore in your personal life...

Ethics= something you ignore in a business setting...

JMO
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

So, it suggests to me that if someone defines a set of morals, good or bad, and they follow them all the time, they are ethical.

Someone who always tortures people the same way depending on their crimes could be called ethical, but totally immoral.

Someone who always does good things but doesn't follow a set of rules might have greal morals, but no ethics because they don't have a system of morals.

Does that sound plausable?
    That was always my understanding of it as well. Morals are the set of principles you try to live your by. Ethics is how well you follow those morals, whether or not they are good or bad.

it is my understanding that "conscience" is the pshycological factor that prevents/excludes wrong behavior!?the question might be,is conscience a natural thing/force or is it inplanted thru training/education/heredity!?i think the whole role of religion should be the affirming and strengthening of conscience!?primarily thru example!?and way less retoric!?
    and i agree that morality is personal and ethics interpersonal!?my question would be,is it easier for a moral person to be unethical or is it easier for an ethical person to be immoral!?we need examples to sort this out!?an interesting question just hit me!?jesus said there would be no more signs!?does that mean no more FREE examples!?no public show!?: :crazy1: : hehe!!....just askn...
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

I think everyone has made some interesting points regarding the topic. From the conversation so far it would seem that the best we can do is give our opinions on the moral/ethical question. So, based on the direction we've taken, a code of values is like a sports team. You can argue that your team has won more games or that your team is more entertaining to its fans, but you cannot truly say whether one team is better than the other.

Applying the analogy to my question, ethics are relative. If a tribe in some unindustrialized part of the world engages in slave trading it is not wrong, ethically speaking, though it may not be supported in someone else's neck of the woods.

What do you think?
    Last edited by dougsnuggler; 07-27-2008 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Embarrassing Grammatical Error!

not to stay on the same track as before but.......i just came up with an ethical/moral problem regarding EBAY!?you might say it is interactive,all parties flexible to the result,unless somehow a unbending demand is made/enforced by 1 of the participating parties!?there is an ongoing fraud on ebay regarding chinese made media devices that are fake in some way.usually regarding memory capacity.there is ample knowledge of this activity but it continues unabated.i bought more than 1 and have been astounded by the seemingly impossibly high GOOD feedback ratings of scammed individuals!?never the less,it is the case!?i myself never bothered to immediately check out the units in question.they worked,and showed full capacity,so i thought all was good!?even when a problem showed up,i did not suspect the unit!?it wasn't until i went back and did a thorough background check that the overall rotteness of the scam emerged!?and the biggest surprise was that EBAY is just a PLAYER in the whole thing!?so it goes like this,in order to obtain a refund,i have to play along with the scam!?i can get a refund if i leave good/neutral feedback!?or i can persue channels thru EBAY and PAYPAL and hope for the best!?knowing EBAY will still allow seller to operate or seller will just get a new account!?so if i look out just for myself i can probably sneak out sweet,but if i threaten the whole operation it may be useless and uncompensating!?does this about SUM UP LIFE as we come to know it!?: :crazy1: : hehe!!......just askn......

Quote Originally Posted by lexx View Post
    not to stay on the same track as before but.......i just came up with an ethical/moral problem regarding EBAY!?you might say it is interactive,all parties flexible to the result,unless somehow a unbending demand is made/enforced by 1 of the participating parties!?there is an ongoing fraud on ebay regarding chinese made media devices that are fake in some way.usually regarding memory capacity.there is ample knowledge of this activity but it continues unabated.i bought more than 1 and have been astounded by the seemingly impossibly high GOOD feedback ratings of scammed individuals!?never the less,it is the case!?i myself never bothered to immediately check out the units in question.they worked,and showed full capacity,so i thought all was good!?even when a problem showed up,i did not suspect the unit!?it wasn't until i went back and did a thorough background check that the overall rotteness of the scam emerged!?and the biggest surprise was that EBAY is just a PLAYER in the whole thing!?so it goes like this,in order to obtain a refund,i have to play along with the scam!?i can get a refund if i leave good/neutral feedback!?or i can persue channels thru EBAY and PAYPAL and hope for the best!?knowing EBAY will still allow seller to operate or seller will just get a new account!?so if i look out just for myself i can probably sneak out sweet,but if i threaten the whole operation it may be useless and uncompensating!?does this about SUM UP LIFE as we come to know it!?: :crazy1: : hehe!!......just askn......
    Why is that wrong? Why should you care? Is there any reason you shouldn't just play along with the whole thing if it benefits you?

Great morals, poor ethics: Mafia people - They treat thier families and loved ones great but have no problem stealing, selling drugs, or shooting someone's kneecaps off.

Low Morals, Great ethics - Politicians, cops, Just about every rich CEO you can name, people who step over a homeless guy or set someone up to take a fall to profit themselves, but at the same time really do believe they provide a vital service and the ends justify the means (We'll set this slimebag up for tax evasion becasue we can't prove he's selling drugs, etc.)

Most people are somewhere in the middle, no one's a saint.

i think we should ask ALFIE!?what's it all about!?: :spin2: :crazy1: hehe!!......just askn.....

Quote Originally Posted by lexx View Post
    i think we should ask ALFIE!?what's it all about!?: :spin2: :crazy1: hehe!!......just askn.....
    You don't necessarily have to ask anyone. Maybe it's all based on how you feel.

Made my brain hurt for a little with this post. After thinking about this for a bit. I would have to say that humanity is decent and good. Except for the reich wingers. Not their fault though. So much was put against them. The reich wing knows how easy it is to brainwash people. Though this is America, and at least alot of us have not fallen pray to evil that is the reich wing party. Though some have. What a shame to have to live among such freedom hating, constitution hating people like this. We have to live with people that hate every good thing this country stands for. I am very angry at you reich wingers for destroying the country that I love. You reich wingers are nothing but a bunch of week minded fools. I have a question for you reich wingers.... Why do you hate America so much?