+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coffee

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

Coffee

A group of alumni, all highly established in their respective careers, got together for a visit with their old university professor. The conversation soon turned to complaints about the endless stress of work and life in general...

Offering his guests coffee, the professor went into the kitchen and soon returned with a large pot of coffee and an eclectic assortment of cups: porcelain, plastic, glass, crystal - some plain, some quite exquisite.

Quietly he told them to help themselves to some fresh coffee.

When each of his former students had a cup of coffee in hand, the old professor quietly cleared his throat and began to patiently address the small gathering...

"You may have noticed that all of the nicer looking cups were taken up first, leaving behind the plainer and cheaper ones. While it is only natural for you to want only the best for yourselves, that is actually the source of much of your stress-related problems."

He continued..."be assured that the cup itself adds no quality to the coffee. In fact, the cup merely disguises or dresses up what we drink. What each of you wanted was coffee, not a cup, but you instinctively went for the best cups... then you began eyeing each other's cups..."

"Now consider this: Life is coffee. Jobs, money, and position in society are merely cups. They are just tools to shape and contain Life, and the type of cup we have does not truly define nor change the quality of the Life we live. Often, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee that God has provided us... God brews the coffee, but he does not supply the cups. Enjoy your coffee!'

The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have... So remember:

Live simply.
    Love generously.
    Care deeply.
    Speak kindly.
    Leave the rest to God!

And remember -

The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.

Re: Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask View Post
    A group of alumni, all highly established in their respective careers, got together for a visit with their old university professor. The conversation soon turned to complaints about the endless stress of work and life in general...

Offering his guests coffee, the professor went into the kitchen and soon returned with a large pot of coffee and an eclectic assortment of cups: porcelain, plastic, glass, crystal - some plain, some quite exquisite.

Quietly he told them to help themselves to some fresh coffee.

When each of his former students had a cup of coffee in hand, the old professor quietly cleared his throat and began to patiently address the small gathering...

"You may have noticed that all of the nicer looking cups were taken up first, leaving behind the plainer and cheaper ones. While it is only natural for you to want only the best for yourselves, that is actually the source of much of your stress-related problems."

He continued..."be assured that the cup itself adds no quality to the coffee. In fact, the cup merely disguises or dresses up what we drink. What each of you wanted was coffee, not a cup, but you instinctively went for the best cups... then you began eyeing each other's cups..."

"Now consider this: Life is coffee. Jobs, money, and position in society are merely cups. They are just tools to shape and contain Life, and the type of cup we have does not truly define nor change the quality of the Life we live. Often, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee that God has provided us... God brews the coffee, but he does not supply the cups. Enjoy your coffee!'

The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have... So remember:

Live simply.
    Love generously.
    Care deeply.
    Speak kindly.
    Leave the rest to God!

And remember -

The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.

Thank you for sharing this.

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
    Thank you for sharing this.

You are very welcome.

Namaste'

Lady Mod

What you always wanted to know about COFFEE but were afraid to read about. Well, the experts say that coffee is better for you than ORANGE JUICE, well if you can handle the CAFFEINE that is. THere is so much that you do not know about COFFEE. No study have ever been able to prove that coffee is a health hazrard. Did ya know, it is an antioxidant, amazing! ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ This is the best part about COFFEE, A new research that shows the coffee berry packs dozens of times the antioxidant power found in brewed coffee. THE BEANS people use to brew coffee aren't really beans at all, they are the seeds of the bright red coffee berry. Until now, coffee growers just threw away the soft flesh of the berry and the seeeds were were roasted to brew coffee. Yes, roasting and brewing do destroy some of the valuable plant compounds in the coffee beans. You just think you coffee drinkers out there, just ONE CUP of coffee might equal those in 3 oranges, that is you are packing away at antioxidants that are ridding of free radicals in your body! ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Also I read that, drink two or three coups a day and SURPRISE! you're 40% less likely to suffer from GALLSTONES ( If you consume too many fatty and meaty foods that is where they come from, ================================================== Raise it to 4 cups and you really drop your risk of colon cancer. Now watch you all running a mad dash to the grocery store and packing those cans in your grocery cart ( Like they did with the CINAMON, hate to burst your bubble but that is not the type of cinnamon in the grocery store that gets your blood sugar down, you have to buy a special type. DONT CHA KNOW, there are many types of CINNAMON out there in the Spice world. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Harvard University study found NO EVIDENCE at all linking coffee, to stroke, heart disease or ulcers even among guys who drank more thatn 4 cups per day. And you think it effects high blood pressure, THERE IS NO CONNECTION. The worst thing that can happen it will give you the JITTERS and keep you up so cut back on the amount you drink.++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Caffeine : Coffee ( 5 oz) only 65 mg of caffeine. Brewed drip method on of caffeine, Instant Coffee has 65 mg, and Decaffeinate brewed has 3 mg of caffeine, and Decaff instant has 2 mg ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ I lov that aroma but cant handle the jitters.

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy View Post
    What you always wanted to know about COFFEE but were afraid to read about. Well, the experts say that coffee is better for you than ORANGE JUICE, well if you can handle the CAFFEINE that is. THere is so much that you do not know about COFFEE. No study have ever been able to prove that coffee is a health hazrard. Did ya know, it is an antioxidant, amazing! ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ This is the best part about COFFEE, A new research that shows the coffee berry packs dozens of times the antioxidant power found in brewed coffee. THE BEANS people use to brew coffee aren't really beans at all, they are the seeds of the bright red coffee berry. Until now, coffee growers just threw away the soft flesh of the berry and the seeeds were were roasted to brew coffee. Yes, roasting and brewing do destroy some of the valuable plant compounds in the coffee beans. You just think you coffee drinkers out there, just ONE CUP of coffee might equal those in 3 oranges, that is you are packing away at antioxidants that are ridding of free radicals in your body! ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Also I read that, drink two or three coups a day and SURPRISE! you're 40% less likely to suffer from GALLSTONES ( If you consume too many fatty and meaty foods that is where they come from, ================================================== Raise it to 4 cups and you really drop your risk of colon cancer. Now watch you all running a mad dash to the grocery store and packing those cans in your grocery cart ( Like they did with the CINAMON, hate to burst your bubble but that is not the type of cinnamon in the grocery store that gets your blood sugar down, you have to buy a special type. DONT CHA KNOW, there are many types of CINNAMON out there in the Spice world. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Harvard University study found NO EVIDENCE at all linking coffee, to stroke, heart disease or ulcers even among guys who drank more thatn 4 cups per day. And you think it effects high blood pressure, THERE IS NO CONNECTION. The worst thing that can happen it will give you the JITTERS and keep you up so cut back on the amount you drink.++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Caffeine : Coffee ( 5 oz) only 65 mg of caffeine. Brewed drip method on of caffeine, Instant Coffee has 65 mg, and Decaffeinate brewed has 3 mg of caffeine, and Decaff instant has 2 mg ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ I lov that aroma but cant handle the jitters.
    Galaxy, got to admit it, that's interesting and helpful. I use to hate the smell of the stuff, but have aquired a taste for it lately. Mostly cause I've always been a speed freak and now that I've quit the drugs and drinking I crave the caffine. So to heck with those that say my couple pots a day is too much...I'm cleansing my inner body. No gal stones and colon cancer for me...No sir!

Thank you galaxy. :spin2:

Lady Mod
    Thanks for sharing. Seems to me, I read something like this in Russian.

The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least. is really good thought and intention. I always trying to keep this idea.
    Thanks again.

Please don't shoot the piano player, he's doing the best he can.

Author’s emoticons KOLOBOK-Style

Galaxy in his own repertory.

As a long time coffee drinker, I do welcome that information. You did mention something about cinnamon and that there is a special kind to bring down the blood sugar. Do you have any proof of this, such as what it is called and where to get it. I do know sathat it should be taken in capsule form as the saliva in the mouth will destroy a lot of the healing properties of it. As a diabetic I take it daily and I do know for a fact it does help as does my doctor.

YEAH COFFEE! Coffee grounds (used) can be utilized in the garden as a soil ammendment. They can, if used properly (I'll have to dig up the article...) benifit your plants in a number of ways...PLUS...Coffee can have a similar effect as Ridilin on ADD, but without all of the side effects of the drug

*I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV*:rasta:
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong. User Rank

That only makes sense to the person with a really crappy cup.

I think the nicer cup makes the coffee taste better.

And so does the psyche of most humans. People consistantly think wine tastes better when they think it costs $100 /bottle than when they think it costs $10/bottle consistantly in double blind tests. Eventhough it's the same wine.

I found the same thing with TV dinners. If I take ti from the cardboard cutout and neatly arrange it on a nice plate I do find the flavors far more apealing. Presentation has always had a great deal to do with the flavor of food.
    A real, honest, falsifiable claim made b.y Seer of dreams:(2011)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cnance View Post
    I believe there will be a nuclear war in October of this year.
    Oh Cnance.... Full of shit as always.

Quote Originally Posted by jigglepete View Post
    YEAH COFFEE! Coffee grounds (used) can be utilized in the garden as a soil ammendment. They can, if used properly (I'll have to dig up the article...) benifit your plants in a number of ways...PLUS...Coffee can have a similar effect as Ridilin on ADD, but without all of the side effects of the drug

*I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV*:rasta:
    I think it has something to do with the acidity in the coffee.

Seems to me, the continuation of this thread looks like a series of the vulgar jest-books about Russian lieutenant...

Quote Originally Posted by BiR View Post
    Seems to me, the continuation of this thread looks like a series of the vulgar jest-books about Russian lieutenant...
    And what was her name???????? Now don't worry we won't tell your wife.

And what was her name???????? Now don't worry we won't tell your wife.
    Not her but his name... He was a man. In old Russian army we had a military rank as poruchik (поручик) (first lieutenant). And a hero of the jest-books had a surname Rzhevsky (Ржевский).
    By the way, my wife knows about this personage.

As a long time coffee drinker, I do welcome that information. You did mention something about cinnamon and that there is a special kind to bring down the blood sugar. Do you have any proof of this, such as what it is called and where to get it. I do know sathat it should be taken in capsule form as the saliva in the mouth will destroy a lot of the healing properties of it. As a diabetic I take it daily and I do know for a fact it does help as does my doctor.
    I put cinnamon in my coffee all the time...its does bring down blood sugar and helps me keep a constant weight...I just use the regular cinnamon on the supermarket shelf...it works for me.
    I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck. ~Emma Goldman

Oh, Mamma Mia! I'm in shock of Americans...