+ Reply to Thread

end of the world

How does everyone feel about the LHC and the experiments that it is scheduled to conduct from august?

I've been hearing many messages of the 4 perceived dangers to humanity that the particle accelerator could in theory create:

-Miniature black hole: Meant to evaporate unless Hawkin's radiation is incorrect

-Strangelet: Possibly stable, could convert the entire planet into other strangelets.

-Vacuum bubble:
    Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    Vacuum metastability event

In their paper, Coleman and de Luccia noted:

The possibility that we are living in a false vacuum has never been a cheering one to contemplate. Vacuum decay is the ultimate ecological catastrophe; in the new vacuum there are new constants of nature; after vacuum decay, not only is life as we know it impossible, so is chemistry as we know it. However, one could always draw stoic comfort from the possibility that perhaps in the course of time the new vacuum would sustain, if not life as we know it, at least some structures capable of knowing joy. This possibility has now been eliminated.[2]
    -magnetic monopole:Ill need to do more research on this

Personally I think the fears are unfounded, It takes some serious brains to be part of the large Hadron collider project and the main proponents against it do not even have relevant degrees(I'm looking at you Wagner)

Re: end of the world

Quote Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
    How does everyone feel about the LHC and the experiments that it is scheduled to conduct from august?
    Won't happen--can't happen.
    From physorg.com

..."The Giddings/Mangano study concludes that such microscopic black holes would be harmless. In fact, he added, nature is continuously creating LHC-like collisions when much higher-energy cosmic rays collide with the Earth's atmosphere, with the Sun, and with other objects such as white dwarfs and neutron stars. If such collisions posed a danger, the consequences for Earth or these astronomical objects would have become evident already, Giddings said."

false vacuum!?.......OMG..........a new mindf$%^!!be back later with my conclusions!? :nervouss: :judges: :freak3: hehe!!.......just askn.....
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Even the smallest black only one with very little mass to it could create huge problems. We really can not tell what would happen. Only if things go wrong, they will really really go wrong. Worse they will never tell us till it is too late. Sucks don't it.

Quote Originally Posted by howdy View Post
    Sucks don't it.
    It definitely would.