+ Reply to Thread

Some Questions Please...

1. This (IMO) fictitious Adam and Eve. When were they alledgedly created? At the very start??
    2. Why is jesus depicted as being white? I believe that there may have been a jesus, but not the son of a god.
    3. Does any sane/inteligent person still believe in immaculate conception?? Isnt it more sensible that a husband and wife were having s*x?? Isnt that what married couples do??
    4. Surely the bible was written as a moral guide. Surely over the years, Chinese whispers etc, then the whole original stories have been twisted to suit?
    5. Why would the bible teach prejudice? What is the punichment for being a homosexual?
    6. If the bible was true, and there is a god, then surely some of the disgusting/sick things that happen would not happen? Regardless of so-called 'lessons'.

Sorry fo these quesions have come up before. I actually came here to search for internet scams, but the whole religous thing winds me up. I personally believe that religous ppl can be the most dangerous. Would someone who had been brainwashed to wholly believe the bible actually kill someone if they thought it was 'gods wish'? Where does it say that a parent should let their baby die rather than have a blood transfusion. I for one would NEVER want to worship the sort of maniac who preached this nonsense??

Do the religous beleive that if u sin and not repent then you goto this 'hell'? Surely not!!!

I knew a muslim who was really brainwashing his kid. He said 'if you drink alchol once you will be forgiven. If u do it again then u will be punished in hell for ALL eternity'. Then, this same muslim had a fake disabled badge on his car so he could park in the disabled spot!!! This is what I mean they are dangerous. He would brainwash his kids, then do this dispicable act!! HYPOCRITCAL!!!!

Finally, are there any current day wars that are not based on religion/fanatics?

I would really appreciate any insight/answers.

Thanks for your time everyone.

Nick

Re: Some Questions Please...

Quote Originally Posted by Evolution_1972 View Post
    1. This (IMO) fictitious Adam and Eve. When were they alledgedly created? At the very start??
    2. Why is jesus depicted as being white? I believe that there may have been a jesus, but not the son of a god.
    3. Does any sane/inteligent person still believe in immaculate conception?? Isnt it more sensible that a husband and wife were having s*x?? Isnt that what married couples do??
    4. Surely the bible was written as a moral guide. Surely over the years, Chinese whispers etc, then the whole original stories have been twisted to suit?
    5. Why would the bible teach prejudice? What is the punichment for being a homosexual?
    6. If the bible was true, and there is a god, then surely some of the disgusting/sick things that happen would not happen? Regardless of so-called 'lessons'.

Sorry fo these quesions have come up before. I actually came here to search for internet scams, but the whole religous thing winds me up. I personally believe that religous ppl can be the most dangerous. Would someone who had been brainwashed to wholly believe the bible actually kill someone if they thought it was 'gods wish'? Where does it say that a parent should let their baby die rather than have a blood transfusion. I for one would NEVER want to worship the sort of maniac who preached this nonsense??

Do the religous beleive that if u sin and not repent then you goto this 'hell'? Surely not!!!

I knew a muslim who was really brainwashing his kid. He said 'if you drink alchol once you will be forgiven. If u do it again then u will be punished in hell for ALL eternity'. Then, this same muslim had a fake disabled badge on his car so he could park in the disabled spot!!! This is what I mean they are dangerous. He would brainwash his kids, then do this dispicable act!! HYPOCRITCAL!!!!

Finally, are there any current day wars that are not based on religion/fanatics?

I would really appreciate any insight/answers.

Thanks for your time everyone.

Nick
    Have you read any of Lawrence Gardner's books. They deal with this subject quite well. Not only giving references for his statements, but outlining a cohesive timeline as well.:sun_smiley:

Dart

I donít see any scams in your questions? Also, you mentioned prejudice? Are you Prejudice of people who believe differently than you? If not then, why are you bothered? But, here are some answers

1) There have been real and fictitious Adam and Eve throughout history. Just do an internet search on the name Adam or Eve. There maybe even an Eve living next door to you. Anyway, if youíre referring to the Adam and Eve of the Bible, then there are several standard interpolations of the stories in the bible before the time of Abraham and Ur. Some say there fictitious stories, some fictitious with some true, some say it is are true, but have different ideas on exactly what happened. But all agree, it is to tell people how God cares for them and has a plan and limits on what they should do.

2) There are Pictures of Jesus as White, Black, American Indian, Hispanic, East Asia. Different cultures draw Jesus differently. There was a program on the Discovery or History channel on how Jesus likely looked. Jesus mostly referred to himself as the Son of Man, but did not deny being the Son of God. By the way, there have been lots of people named Jesus as it was a common name now and 2000 years ago.

3) Lots of sane/intelligent person still believe in Immaculate Conception. The highest level animal in science that got pregnant by itself is a Turkey, if I remember correctly. Even the cells in your body create a new you every few years. It did fulfill a Bible prophecy and yes it is unlikely, that is why it is pointed out in the bible.

4) The bible was written for many reasons and by many people. A moral guide was only one of the many. The bible has changed very little as the scribes had a strict quality control code to follow when copying manuscripts. The dead sea scrolls proved this fact.

5) The bible teaches prejudice against sin. There was no punishment for being a homosexual or a heterosexual. People voluntarily living under the Laws of Moses had to follow strict guide lines on what they could do and not do. They did not have any jails, so there were limits on the type of punishments Moses could do. Making you a temporary slave, sending you from town, and killing you were the main choices. If you did not like the rules, you could always move.

6) Yes, True bad thing have happen. The Bible say men have fallen short of the glory of God and do bad things because of it. So, it sounds like you agree with at least some of the Bible.
    But many people have learned the lessons; look at all the good that is done in the name of God. Helping the feeding and clothing the poor, helping prisoner, building houses and hospitals. Many of the great science thinkers and inventors of the past have been Christian and Jewish. The Airplane, the Car, the stockmarket, basketball, evolution, womenís right to vote all been invent /or advocated by believers. I donít see atheist rescue building missions to help people.

7) Heaven is beingin the afterlife with God and Hell is being in the afterlife without God. If people donít like/believe God, then you are getting what you chose.

8) You are less likely to be a hypocrite if you write things down and try to follow them. I know a guy in high school that though it was wrong for college age people to date high school people. But when he got into college, he dated high school people.

9) There are lots of wars in the world not religion based. Most are territory, money, power, historical, struggles. Religion is used by people sometimes, but it is rarely the main reason. Did the US go into Iraq for religion, or maybe WMDs or oil, control, or the jerk just kept shooting at US planes.
    That what Craigthinks

Nick,

By your description I would agree that your Muslim friend is a hypocrite.

But, what do you mean by him brainwashing his kids?

Would you consider the way your parents brought you up as brain washing?
    It is my firm belief that it is a mistake to hold firm beliefs.

"All things are perfect to every last flaw and bound in accord with Eris's Law."
    -HBT; The Book of Advice 1:7

Quote Originally Posted by Anti_thesisofreason View Post
    Nick,
    Would you consider the way your parents brought you up as brain washing?
    Hi

Thanks for replying. Appreciate it :)

No I dont feel as I was brainwashed as I wasnt told that 'this happened' or 'that happened' or 'if u do this then you will burn forever in hell'. That is what I meant. He (in my opinion) was twisting his beleifs to suit. He told me that his religion used to allow drinking of alcohol. Then it got changed. How can that be right? What happens then if someone decides that women are inferior? Do they then have scans and get an abortion of the baby is a girl?

I dont understand how religion (his) can allow drinking, then it suddenly change to forbid drinking??

I supopse i was brainwashed in the fact that 'if you dont goto school then you will not learn' or 'if you dont eat your greens then you wont grow', but this is not brainwashing people into 'fear'. That is gripe. People threaten/brainwash etc into being 'god fearing', which is wronf (again, IMO).

Cheers

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by craigthinks View Post
    I donít see any scams in your questions? Also, you mentioned prejudice? Are you Prejudice of people who believe differently than you? If not then, why are you bothered? But, here are some answers
    Hey Craig

Thanks :) - I wasnt sure if this was just about scams, or a discussion. When I posted, I was thinking that maybe this forum was the wrong place.

Also, I am not prejudiced against ppl who beleive differently to me. I just dont like them preaching it everywhere I go ;). Then using every opportunity they get to say 'follow gods way and you will be welcomed in heaven'.

I am now about to read your answers to my queries, so thanks for taking the time to reply :)

Once I have read I will come back give my thoughts!!

Again thanks

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by craigthinks View Post
    3) Lots of sane/intelligent person still believe in Immaculate Conception. The highest level animal in science that got pregnant by itself is a Turkey, if I remember correctly. Even the cells in your body create a new you every few years. It did fulfill a Bible prophecy and yes it is unlikely, that is why it is pointed out in the bible.
    Do any sane/intelligent people believe an XX female can immaculately conceive an XY male?

LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings. User Rank

It's the magic of the Bible man!

what is a "mind"!?that is my question to ask!?(some questions please)do i have a mind or am i a mind!?is god the original mind!?if mind means do what your told,does god tell himself what to do!?if god is life,does life need a mind!?is life itself knowledge!?is mind a description of the knowledge of life!?is this description corruptible!?is a corrupted description a mind opposed to life itself!?does this mind exist!?is what we call reality an artificial existence!?artificial because it is forever recycled,subject to reforming!?by mind!?powered by life!?if life is knowledge,than is death anti knowledge!?is life itself destructible!?can mind itself exist without life!?can life exist without mind!?is the human body a machine animated by life and orchestrated by mind!?is mind dividable!?can these divisions assume control!?what is the cause or reason for divided mind!?is each part of a divided mind it's own reality in waiting!?how many divisions are possible!?can parts of mind coexist!?can only 1 command an action or thought at the same time!?are the separate parts of mind actually separate minds!?is there an original undivided mind!?is that mind capable of laser like certainty and precision!?is that mind capable of what we would call creation!?if this laser energy is defocused and defused by separation,is that creation ability reduced to a maintenance capacity!?does mind exist/originate in/from our physical heads/body!?we can observe living things by the fact that they grow!?and die!?this mystery called life,is the life of a tree the same as the life in man!?both can die!?yet the tree lives longer!?is this existence we find ourselves a part of just an experiment by life to find the perfect existence form!?not by lifes own choice,but by the command of anti life!?the useful idiot theory!?god does not "exist" yet,but he wants to,that's HIS sin!?since he could never sin himself,he had to find someone else to do it for him!?well,there was no one else originally,so he had to create them!?so my final question is,are we the only whim in the universe!?or do we have to go to an alternate universe for good company!?: :crazy1: :yelcutelaughA: hehe!!......just askn...
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

No I dont feel as I was brainwashed as I wasnt told that 'this happened' or 'that happened' or 'if u do this then you will burn forever in hell'. That is what I meant. He (in my opinion) was twisting his beleifs to suit. He told me that his religion used to allow drinking of alcohol. Then it got changed. How can that be right?
    He may be a hypocrite only because he follows his religious beliefs only when it suits him but, just because he is teaching his children his religious beliefs does not make him a brainwasher.

Quote Originally Posted by Evolution
    What happens then if someone decides that women are inferior?
    Have you taken a good look at Christianity? Ever since the Garden of Eden fiasco women have been on the sh!t list. They are considered inferior (by Christians).

I dont understand how religion (his) can allow drinking, then it suddenly change to forbid drinking??
    Well deciding that alcohol is a bad thing . . . ain't necessarily a bad thing.

I supopse i was brainwashed in the fact that 'if you dont goto school then you will not learn' or 'if you dont eat your greens then you wont grow'.
    That's not brainwashing thats your parents being parents and doing what they think is best for you. That Muslim man is probably doing the same thing with his children . . . what he thinks is best for them.
    It is my firm belief that it is a mistake to hold firm beliefs.

"All things are perfect to every last flaw and bound in accord with Eris's Law."
    -HBT; The Book of Advice 1:7

I wonder what would of happened if only Eve ate the apple? That is if you believe the fiction that is the bible.

I considered these same questions as a child. Fortunately, I had no years of indoctrination as part of a Church, so my questions were from a strictly pragmatic perspective.

God and belief are manifestations of the same thing....FAITH.

I placed my faith, very early on, in living beings...in PEOPLE.

I really could not bring myself to believe anything merely because...

Then something happened that explained it all...

When one of my step-parents died, my mother and I, both non-religious, were faced with a problem....

If we, as people, when we died, went nowhere but into fertilizer, then how could we face those we loved, on their death beds, and tell them that we would never see them again?

Mom and I don't discuss this, but, I thought to myself there and then, how can you look at a much loved relative for the last time as a functioning human and send them on their way with that kind of idea?
    I rapidly came to the conclusion that this same conundrum has been faced by many generations...and it is from these ancient fears that, I feel, we have evolved our present belief system.
    It brings to mind other issues, too..
    If there is actually nothing at the end of all this, then evil really has triumphed, for it means that whatever you do here and get away with will die with you....No divine retribution also means you have very little in the way of conscience, for you simply see this place as a giant SCAM, where you attempt to get away with as much as possible before you die..

I think there is a place for religon in our society, but not as a catch all excuse...

It's a GUIDE to living in concert with your fellow man. To not let our society degenerate too far into "dog eat dog".
    It's this that seperates us from animals...supposedly. Animals have no higher thoughts of this kind, and no ideals other than eat, sleep, and defacate. Animals do not philosphise their place in the scheme of things, nor do they wonder what they might have achieved had the circumstances differed.
    Humans are the most complex creatures imaginable....I think we invented religon to prevent us all from going nuts over the complexities of life itself.
    Some still do......

No matter though.....you'll find out all of this for yourself, and by yourself when you die.

For the meantime...live a little. It's what we are concieved for....

Quote Originally Posted by kate blanchett View Post
    I considered these same questions as a child. Fortunately, I had no years of indoctrination as part of a Church, so my questions were from a strictly pragmatic perspective.

God and belief are manifestations of the same thing....FAITH.

I placed my faith, very early on, in living beings...in PEOPLE.

I really could not bring myself to believe anything merely because...

Then something happened that explained it all...

When one of my step-parents died, my mother and I, both non-religious, were faced with a problem....

If we, as people, when we died, went nowhere but into fertilizer, then how could we face those we loved, on their death beds, and tell them that we would never see them again?

Mom and I don't discuss this, but, I thought to myself there and then, how can you look at a much loved relative for the last time as a functioning human and send them on their way with that kind of idea?
    I rapidly came to the conclusion that this same conundrum has been faced by many generations...and it is from these ancient fears that, I feel, we have evolved our present belief system.
    It brings to mind other issues, too..
    If there is actually nothing at the end of all this, then evil really has triumphed, for it means that whatever you do here and get away with will die with you....No divine retribution also means you have very little in the way of conscience, for you simply see this place as a giant SCAM, where you attempt to get away with as much as possible before you die..

I think there is a place for religon in our society, but not as a catch all excuse...

It's a GUIDE to living in concert with your fellow man. To not let our society degenerate too far into "dog eat dog".
    It's this that seperates us from animals...supposedly. Animals have no higher thoughts of this kind, and no ideals other than eat, sleep, and defacate. Animals do not philosphise their place in the scheme of things, nor do they wonder what they might have achieved had the circumstances differed.
    Humans are the most complex creatures imaginable....I think we invented religon to prevent us all from going nuts over the complexities of life itself.
    Some still do......
    what is the need for complexity!?what is the attraction of complexity!?why does everyone of any considerable life experience relish simplicity!?are there 2 roads to simplicity,delegation and/or self sacrifice!?how far can 1 take them!?is complexity mostly a thought pattern!?a predictor of unwanted results!?a definer of the unknown!?if happiness is overdefined,is it not diminished and finally lost!?who requests/demands overdefining!?the unhappy!?the unknowers!?faith realized is but trust in other people!?trust that bears the outrageous acts and attitudes of others!?aggressive patience being the method of proof of another way of living!?possibly defined by the example, if you steal my money i will shoot you in the hand but if you then ask me immediately and sincerely for a loan i will grant it gladly!?how is this possible!?it would seem to me that time is the only factor determining choices of commitment to behavior!?if the basis of your mind was the KNOWledge of eternity!?then you would possess infinite patience!?the promise of religion is THAT knowledge!?and more!?the dialog of religion is that you do nothing of/by yourself,it is ALL done for you!?you just go along and act it out!?thus the only thing for mankind to do is.......select the best f-actor!?so in essence,if we invented god,now we have only to make it/her/him,real!?but not by trying to convince others first!?no,that is where we kill the golden goose!?but by imagining and acting out in concert with those that have the unbending interest!?those that will settle for nothing short of the miraculous!?when anyone finds this kind of authentic effort,let me know!?of course with all good things in life,it usually happens that it finds you!?like the million dollar check in your mailbox from a long lost dead relative!?you just gotta sleep under the mailbox long enough!?for all things come in due time to those that wait!?wait on the lord of hosts!?i wonder what's that's like!?that kind of determination!?is it like thinking about that big slurpy on a hot day in the summer!?is it like thinkin about how much dough i'll have at retirement and how healthy i'll be and whether the wife is happy and.......life is so complex!?it's not my fault is it!?did i get PUNKED somewhere sometime and it stuck!?anyone got some super punked remover!?: :spin2: :crazy1: hehe!!.....just askn..
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

So much in there,

Nick and all,

Immaculate conception HAS NOTHING, not thing one
    to do with biology.
    I_C. does not violate one thing we know about birth of frogs,
    mice, bugs, humans. I can go out today and
    get a woman pregnant, she will give birth.
    that is conception.
    Virgin birth means I find some woman who *never * had
    sex or got pregnant appart from sex.
    Immaculate Conception is when any creature
    by sex or by other means
    *** gives birth to a child that is pure and free of original
    *sin***.
    Sex can definatly be involved. and with Mary it was, SHE
    was immaculated conceived.
    According to the Islam, Christian story that is.
    personally I believe even Antitheist was
    immaculatly conceived, but tat's me.

:
    Littlebear