+ Reply to Thread

Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong. User Rank

Why you should teach science as fact

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/storie....13b408d5.html

A 16-year-old member of a faith healing church died of uremic heart failure caused by a stricture in his urinary tract, according to autopsy results.

The urinary tract condition could have been fixed with a catheter, said Dr. Cliff Nelson, the state Medical Examiner. The outpatient procedure is routine.

Like all members of the religious order, Beagley did not receive medical care. His condition worsened Sunday and members of the church gathered for prayer, Benton said.

The family belongs to the Oregon City Followers of Christ Church. The church is a fundamentalist Christian denomination that recently made headlines after two members were arrested and accused of using prayer instead of medical care to try to cure their deathly ill daughter.

------------------

So... medical science says a simple small plastic tube could have saved his life, but instead he prayed himself to death.

I wonder if he died happy.
    A real, honest, falsifiable claim made b.y Seer of dreams:(2011)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cnance View Post
    I believe there will be a nuclear war in October of this year.
    Oh Cnance.... Full of shit as always.

LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings. User Rank

Re: Why you should teach science as fact

An absolute shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_jag View Post
    I wonder if he died happy.
    I doubt.

"Instead, 16-year-old Neal Beagley's urinary tract became inflamed and closed off. He was unable to urinate, which made his bladder and kidneys stop functioning, the autopsy showed. Toxins backed up into his blood stream. "

The boy, identified by authorities as Neil Beagley, was suffering from an inflammation in a tube leading from his bladder - the urethra - that made him unable to urinate, according to Dr. Clifford Nelson, a deputy state medical examiner.

Beagley filled up with urine, and that eventually ruined his bladder and kidneys and resulted in heart failure, said Nelson, who called it "an absolutely horrible way to die."

I found this (dumb) comment on another site:

John June 20th, 2008 - 12:36 pm

The Germ Theory is just that…a theory. The bible tells us that God will heal us if we have enough faith. These two that died clearly lacked faith, probably because they were taught that the Earth is billions of years old and that man evolved and has common ancestors with the other inhabitants of the planet. Start teaching intelligent design, which I might add is not religion, and we will see less of this.

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=116193&comments=1

GLADSTONE, Ore. - A 16-year-old boy who, along with his parents, believed in faith healingdied as a result of an inflammation in his urinary system that is treatable, a deputy medical examiner said Wednesday.

worse yet, his parents were involved

http://www.katu.com/news/local/20461264.html
    Last edited by Qi123; 06-21-2008 at 05:53 PM.
    "Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held. Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin. Believe nothing just because someone else believes it. Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true."

Oh for crying out loud! Germ theory? Don't they know that you can see those, in real time through a microscope?

That's like saying cat theory is just a theory. No one can prove that cats exist. *sigh*

The parents should be charged with child endangerment.

religious anarchy....

Intellectually back in the middle ages...The Renaissance was just something that happened to "other people" for these fools...

Quote Originally Posted by kate blanchett View Post
    religious anarchy....

Intellectually back in the middle ages...The Renaissance was just something that happened to "other people" for these fools...
    i suppose if 1 were living on the cutting edge of pragmatic living,those who are not keeping up would be called foolish for sure!?pragmatism may be the best overall approach to life!?but like anything else worthwhile,it can be learned but not taught!?figjam!!:: spin2: :freak3: hehe!!.....just askn...
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

The Germ Theory is just that…a theory. The bible tells us that God will heal us if we have enough faith. These two that died clearly lacked faith, probably because they were taught that the Earth is billions of years old and that man evolved and has common ancestors with the other inhabitants of the planet. Start teaching intelligent design, which I might add is not religion, and we will see less of this.

Believers always have the perfect out whatever the outcome. If a patient recovers it is due to the power of prayer and the glory of the Lord. If the patient dies it is either a lack of faith or that the Lord had other plans etc..

This is a very sad story and it is a shame that many people leave all reason and understanding behind as soon as they open up a Bible.
    I am currently reading --- White Jazz - James Ellroy

LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings. User Rank

People who think as they do, are dangerous. To themselves and to their children.

It's too bad we can't bring them up on charges of child endangerment.

It's too bad we can't bring them up on charges of child endangerment.
    AH, but then who would be forcing who's beliefs on whom?
    It is my firm belief that it is a mistake to hold firm beliefs.

"All things are perfect to every last flaw and bound in accord with Eris's Law."
    -HBT; The Book of Advice 1:7

Quote Originally Posted by Anti_thesisofreason View Post
    AH, but then who would be forcing who's beliefs on whom?
    Interesting idea...

Of course I don't recall where int he bible it says you can't seek medical help. Everything on the world was brought by god, right? So anything we make or devise is God's will to use.

That reminds me of a joke...

A town is getting flooded. A guy sits and prays. The water comes up and a boat comes by to rescue him. He says he'll wait for God to save him. He sits and prays.

The water comes up and up. He crawls up onto the roof. Just as the water was about to cover the roof a chopper comes by. He waves them all screaming that God will save him.

Of course the water continues up and the guy drowns. He gets past the pearly gates and storms right up to God and screams WHY DIDN'T YOU SAVE ME?

God replies "What do you mean? I sent you a boat and a helicopter!"

Perhaps the "answer" to the "prayer" was to go see the doctor and they failed to do God's work.

Quote Originally Posted by Turnbull Ac View Post

Believers always have the perfect out whatever the outcome. If a patient recovers it is due to the power of prayer and the glory of the Lord. If the patient dies it is either a lack of faith or that the Lord had other plans etc..

This is a very sad story and it is a shame that many people leave all reason and understanding behind as soon as they open up a Bible.
    i agree....
    "Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held. Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin. Believe nothing just because someone else believes it. Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true."

Interesting idea...

Of course I don't recall where int he bible it says you can't seek medical help. Everything on the world was brought by god, right? So anything we make or devise is God's will to use.

That reminds me of a joke...

A town is getting flooded. A guy sits and prays. The water comes up and a boat comes by to rescue him. He says he'll wait for God to save him. He sits and prays.

The water comes up and up. He crawls up onto the roof. Just as the water was about to cover the roof a chopper comes by. He waves them all screaming that God will save him.

Of course the water continues up and the guy drowns. He gets past the pearly gates and storms right up to God and screams WHY DIDN'T YOU SAVE ME?

God replies "What do you mean? I sent you a boat and a helicopter!"

Perhaps the "answer" to the "prayer" was to go see the doctor and they failed to do God's work.
    Good point I guess we can't be too sure what a message from god looks, sounds or feels like.

I've read quite a few articles on parents being charged in cases such as these. In many cases the parents end up in jail in a few they are charged with felony's. So there is justice, or is it Karma, in many of these cases.
    It is my firm belief that it is a mistake to hold firm beliefs.

"All things are perfect to every last flaw and bound in accord with Eris's Law."
    -HBT; The Book of Advice 1:7