+ Reply to Thread

Behind 90% of AGW-denying books

Since kazza thinks maybe I should leave the "Heartland 500" list alone, here's something else about global warming "skepticism": a study by Jacques, Dunlap, and Freeman (2008) shows that

"Over 92 per cent of environmentally sceptical books are linked to conservative think tanks, and 90 per cent of conservative think tanks interested in environmental issues espouse scepticism. Environmental scepticism began in the US, is strongest in the US, and exploded after the end of the Cold War and the emergence of global environmental concern stimulated by the 1992 Earth Summit. [...] the self-portrayal of sceptics as marginalised 'Davids' battling the powerful 'Goliath' of environmentalists and environmental scientists is a charade, as sceptics are supported by politically powerful CTTs [conservative think tanks] funded by wealthy foundations and corporations."

(Via Framing Science.)

And before anyone responds with a knee-jerk "The Alarmists Did It Too!": don't.

Re: Behind 90% of AGW-denying books

And what is your point I did my own review of environmental books expousing Global Warming and most are supported by groups that support that view. Isn't this simply a matter of the organization choosing to support those scientists that are doing work they agree with for or against GW theory.

If a psychologist was researching for a book that supports gays could change to be straight would you expect the gay groups to fund it or the Christian fundamentalist groups? Wouldn't that psychologist naturally get supported by the latter since his research supports those sorts of organizations.

As for the number of books there are many books and reports supporting GW, its a trendy, so naturally books in opposition would be numerous. It would in fact be logical and expected.

Shorter rubyslippers: The Alarmists Are Just As Bad... The Alarmists Are Just As Bad... The Alarmists Are Just As Bad... Om... Om... Om...

Spoken like a true skeptical skeptic.

I just made a simple point from my observation of books and looking into the matter its simply certain ideological groups supporting a respective side. And with the overwhelming trendy popularity of Green Think especially business and government interests that benefit in scaring people I see the large support of the AGW side a good thing.