+ Reply to Thread

NBA finals...this should be good...

I think one of the reasons I am a basketball fan at all is due to the Bird/Magic/Celtics/Lakers duels...two extremely strong teams... this is gonna be great...:spin2:
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Re: NBA finals...this should be good...

Quote Originally Posted by jigglepete View Post
    I think one of the reasons I am a basketball fan at all is due to the Bird/Magic/Celtics/Lakers duels...two extremely strong teams... this is gonna be great...:spin2:
    So, game three starts tonight in LA, and no responces? Well f*ck ya'll I'll just talk to myself then :
    -Hunter S. Thompson

i personally dont like basketball because The impact of a hard pass can be lessened, making it less likely the ball will knock the wind out of you, if it is caught into the body. The ball coming at you has momentum, mv. By increasing the time over which you decelerate the ball, you lessen the force. In other words, since mv = Ft, then F = (mv) / t ... increasing t causes F to get smaller. This is the same principle that makes an air bag in your car work. The time over which you decelerate is lengthened, resulting in a lower force. Of course, catching a ball into your chest has other benefits. It makes it less likely you'll drop the ball, and harder for someone to grab.

Also, A players' shoes must have good traction, which is the same as saying that the coefficient of friction between the shoe and the floor must be high. Friction is the force that opposes the motion of two surfaces that are in contact. Every surface is rough, on the microscopic scale, and when two surfaces come in contact, the high points on each surface temporarily make contact. The opposing or attracting forces of the surface molecules cause a 'frictional' force.
    A basketball player will also make use of static friction; a foot firmly planted, rather than slipping across the floor, will provide more friction when he has to stop or turn suddenly. This is because static friction ('pushing off') is greater than sliding friction ('sliding'). It is also why shoes must have a good grip on the floor in any direction you push off from, and why some shoes are unsuitable for basketball ... they may have lots of forward traction, but slip too easily when pushing sideways. It's just like driving ... spinning tires have less frictional force than non-spinning ones. ABS systems keep the tires from sliding, and maintain more friction.

with that said though... i hope the celtics win :-)...lakers are too cocky. They are becoming more humble now that they have gotten there butts kicked in boston 0-2 (now 2-1)
    Last edited by spanky; 06-11-2008 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    i personally dont like basketball because The impact of a hard pass can be lessened, making it less likely the ball will knock the wind out of you, if it is caught into the body. The ball coming at you has momentum, mv. By increasing the time over which you decelerate the ball, you lessen the force. In other words, since mv = Ft, then F = (mv) / t ... increasing t causes F to get smaller. This is the same principle that makes an air bag in your car work. The time over which you decelerate is lengthened, resulting in a lower force. Of course, catching a ball into your chest has other benefits. It makes it less likely you'll drop the ball, and harder for someone to grab.

Also, A players' shoes must have good traction, which is the same as saying that the coefficient of friction between the shoe and the floor must be high. Friction is the force that opposes the motion of two surfaces that are in contact. Every surface is rough, on the microscopic scale, and when two surfaces come in contact, the high points on each surface temporarily make contact. The opposing or attracting forces of the surface molecules cause a 'frictional' force.
    A basketball player will also make use of static friction; a foot firmly planted, rather than slipping across the floor, will provide more friction when he has to stop or turn suddenly. This is because static friction ('pushing off') is greater than sliding friction ('sliding'). It is also why shoes must have a good grip on the floor in any direction you push off from, and why some shoes are unsuitable for basketball ... they may have lots of forward traction, but slip too easily when pushing sideways. It's just like driving ... spinning tires have less frictional force than non-spinning ones. ABS systems keep the tires from sliding, and maintain more friction.

with that said though... i hope the celtics win :-)...lakers are too cocky. They are becoming more humble now that they have gotten there butts kicked in boston 0-2 (now 2-1)
    Looks like the Celts took all of this basketball science to heart last night!! What an amazing come back...Of course the Lakers almost did the same thing in game 2, the only difference being the final score...All that work for nothing, Looking foward to Sunday's game!!
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Hahahahaha...#17...Wow...:
    -Hunter S. Thompson

I am a Lakers fan myself too. They have had some real great seasons. The Bulls are not what they used to be. Once had a chance to attend the game when it was the best players playing but never made it to that town so I sold those tickets to a my boyfriend of back then an he went with his mother.