+ Reply to Thread

Robert Goldsmith HBW

Just trying to find out about this guy.

Goldsmith seems to have an ego that doesn't stop. He claims to have proprietary information in his trainings or "intellectual" property. All he's done is go to trainings put on by people like Bill Bachrach and then use that information in his trainings. He presents it like he's the only one smart enough to figure that stuff out. Then when you go to his training he has a noncompete/nondisclosure that ties you up to him for 36 months after you resign. Of course, you don't have to sign it but he treats you like you're an idiot if you don't sign and once you figure out what he is it's too late because HBW doesn't let you move to a different group. Of course, you're still free to leave HBW.

HBW does seem to recruit a lot of the Primerica, WFG group agents that don't have a clue about the rest of the industry anyway so maybe the noncompete works for them.

It seems like HBW is a good independent organization but Goldsmith has taken it to another level and turned it into somewhat of a "captive" situation.

My question is has anybody else had experience with this guy? Is his training good or is it just concepts that he's gotten elsewhere? Or have you had experience with HBW?

Is it a good building opportunity and have you done research into the various groups to have an opinion about the best one's to work with if you want to build your own organization?

I've done a couple of google searches but didn't really find anything one way or the other.

Re: Robert Goldsmith HBW

Wow… Just read this posting and all I can say is that the person that wrote this obviously knows nothing about Robert. I am not you typical “Blogger” but let me say this, this time I feel compelled. The short answer to your question is, “I would never miss any event he puts on.”

I met him 3 years ago at one of his training events in Houston, TX and I thought after 5 years in the business I knew quite a bit about insurance. Turned out I knew almost nothing by comparison. Since plugging in with Robert & Deanna’s training I have earned the $100k Ring (I am part time in HBW and a full time high school teacher), have an organization across the country and my family qualified for the Awesome Hawaii Vacation last year.

Robert’s training and support (and my hard work) is the reason I have achieved those results and it has assisted me in winning local awards in financial planning.

Does he require the Non-compete agreement, yes! However, I would NOT want it any other way. His concepts are designed for agents in our organizations to thrive, not for agents to sell away. He is looking to work with and develop professionals committed to building with HBW. Attending his training events is of your own volition (not mandatory) and he makes it clear what the rules are in advance. HBW puts on their own events and everyone in HBW can attend those. I have been to both and they are both exceptional, but Robert takes the training up another notch. If you really want to know if he is legit, let me answer that for you… ABSOLUTELY!

Robert is passionate about the HBW opportunity and for those that are sincere about building a long-term career in financial services, desire both the mentoring and support to win, I encourage you to visit the website www.hbwopportunity.com and tell them Joe D sent you.
    Last edited by Joealgebra; 06-13-2008 at 04:30 PM.

Johnny B Good;

I need to Thank you!

I saw your posting and about Robert Goldsmith-HBW and I decided to check it out. Having been with one of those MLM companies that sell only “a one size fits all idea”, I really felt as though I needed to move on and find something different. I had been looking for a new opportunity and more importantly, “real training.”

For the sake of knowing the truthafter reading your post, I did some research and here’s what I came up with and perhaps it will be useful for you as well.

According to industry websites, Mr. Goldsmith has been Insurance licensed for 26 years, securities licensed for more than 20 years! Both in “good standing” (a testament to perseverance). Further research linked him to www.hbwopportunity.comand I checked that out too. Many of his agents (on the AGENT HIGHLIGHTS page) are top producers at HBW & the Testimonials support his training. I called over to HBW’s home office who indicated that Robert is extremely successful at HBW. No complaints and in fact they recommended I call him. I did!

I am writing this as because after speaking with him about the industry and the HBW opportunity, he is very knowledgeable, in fact I would say “above other individuals I have talked with before.” He then put me on the phone with one of his agents, another very sharp guy. They really know what they are doing. Big Ego? I would say “extremely confident.” Robert speaks very professionally.

Here’s what he told me; “He trains those that want to build with him and with HBW exclusively and not those with aspirations of building outside of HBW. If agents choose not to go to his advanced training they are not required to.” And by the way, his business model makes sense to me. Well after my experience with that other company and doing my homework (I was looking for a mentor), I signed up with Robert and HBW.

Now Check this out… I just returned from his Arizona Training… and here’s what I can tell you… It was absolutely the best financial training I have ever seen. If I never made a dime in HBW (but I will), I will have benefited tremendously just by having learned only some those concepts which I can apply to my own financial plan.

Finally “your posting”, it’s confusing. You made it appear from your comments that “you know” what he does (in his trainings), however if you read below the surface, it appears as if you are looking for info on what he really does in his training, perhaps because you have never been, but want to know. I am guessing you don’t know and have never been? Sounds like a personal problem (sour grapes perhaps?).

Here’s what I will tell you… if you can get there… Don’t Miss it! Personally I am looking forward to building a business with Robert and HBW. Thanks again.

2bapro

Dear what’s your name or Coward?

First of all it sounds like you are on a fishing expedition for answers why you are a failure. I got the answer for you, look in the mirror! If you want the truth here it is hope you can handle it and then get back to work because no one is going to build your business for you but you.

Mr. Goldsmith is an honest and hard working person. You don’t know the sacrifices he has made to become successful. His passion for his work which you mock it by criticizing it saying he has an ego that doesn’t stop. No, that’s confidence and leadership. If you would pay attention you might learn something in life.

Mr. Goldsmith has built his organization with lots of hard work, time and great effort. His willingness to share this with you should be a blessing. We all should be grateful to have such a mentor and an extraordinary person like Robert Goldsmith as our leader.

You said, “All he's done is go to trainings put on by people like Bill Bachrach and then use that information in his trainings?”

If that was all he did, I am extremely grateful he is willing to do this. Truth be told, he spends his money so I don’t have to spend mine traveling all over the Country to get this education. By the way by comparison how much does he charge for you to attend his training? Let me answer that for you, it’s practically free. Wow let’s see the Donald top this one. Mr. Goldsmiths training is PRICELESS.

To quote you,“I've done a couple of google searches but didn't really find anything one way or the other.” Well to quote you again you said, “he treats you like an idiot” Well look in the mirror again, because if you Googled him you would have found many things all positive, check out the testimonials at www.hbwopportunity.com tell Mr. Goldsmith his Police Officer friend Joe sent you.
    Robert has worked extremely hard to get where he is today and his enthusiasm and passion shows it by the number of people he has in his organization. Sounds like you are a jealous person? I trust and believe in people like Robert Goldsmith with my life. I remember back in the day when a handshake meant something. A person’s word was as good as gold. Well I guess this fad is not dead after all because we have GOLD-SMITH on our side. No one is forcing you to do anything. You are given an opportunity of a life time here and you just need to realize that. You are in charge of your own destiny and no one but you can make it come true. Remember blood, sweat and tears there are no free lunches in life. Ask MR. CHRIS GARDNER.

Would you like some cheese with your whine?

Joe F.
    Last edited by JoeF; 06-28-2008 at 02:20 PM.

Having read your blog, I feel I need to reply. I have been on Roberts team for over a year and I can honestly say his training, coaching, mentoring is above par to anyone else I have had training from. The noncompete agreement is for the benefit of everyone who is on the team. It seems you would like to receive all the answers without working as or being a team member. Robert is very open & honest about the training and not wanting people to use this information in a way that could hurt the whole team. Is the training worth it? You only need to check out the teams numbers and you know what they say, “the numbers don’t lie.” As for the ego and such, he exudes confidence nothing more and nothing less. What would you expect from someone who has been in the business for 26 years. If you have any further questions go to www.hbwopportunity.com and tell them Bev Ferro sent you
    Last edited by BevF; 06-28-2008 at 02:14 PM.

I'd be willing to bet that all of you came from Primerica.

Not all of us Retard..... Just closed another "7" thousand this month..... It is the 3rd of the damn month.... The proof is in the effort.... Now get to work...

I'm sorry-since when does "MLM" and financial planning have anything to do with each other? People earn "$100k Rings" and Awesome Hawaii Vacations on game shows, not as serious-minded financial planners, insurance agents or investment advisors. One might learn something at this "training," but it is most likely not what the SEC and other mainstream governmental and self-regulatory bodies consider to be comprehensive "financial planning."

I'm glad I found this. The internet can be a good source of info -- just have to wade through the crap.

I'm sure my post will get some comments from "Robert's Flock." I too have been researching HBW as a agency building opportunity. It does seem like they have a good system, none are perfect but they certainly have a lot in place for someone that wants to teach and train others.

Through the course of my research I ran across Goldsmith. Talked to him a couple of times and he does seem quite knowledgeable about the industry and sales in general.
    I've had some experience in insurance and annuities so I'll just put in my two cents.
    The pros as I see them:
    Goldsmith does seem to know his stuff and is willing to share his knowledge with his recruits.
    HBW does allow someone to be a personal producer as well as build an organization.
    HBW has life, LTC, disability, mortgages, annuities, securities, all in one place.

The cons as I see them:
    The loss of commission on the annuity side is a little much.

The sharing of knowledge that Goldsmith does requires a 36 month noncompete/nondisclosure.
    Previous poster said Goldsmith has worked hard and is an extraordinary person. I don't doubt he has worked very hard. I also don't doubt he's an extraordinary person because he told me that himself several times in the conversations I had with him:yelcutelaughA:
    His trainings are free?? If you're a business person and do the math you give up a ton of commission to go to his free training. Plus, because of your required signature on a noncompete/nondisclosure before you attend the training, you'd have to calculate 36 months of overrides, etc. after you decide to move on. That's a ton of money you're giving up for "free" training. If you figure it up you can pay to go to a lot of trainings and get the same information. He's getting an override, why wouldn't his trainings be "free"?? Just my opinion but if you pay to go to other training and do your own research it will make you a much better consultant than relying on information from someone like Goldsmith.
    (I went into the conference call recordings on HBW's website and listened and in one of Barney Hellenbrand's calls he commented on how HBW is a great independent agency and you don't have to worry about doing other things or getting sued when you leave HBW. That wouldn't be true if you signed up through Goldsmith's organization.)

You're relying on one person's opinion or research to decide what's right for your client.

Other comments:
    Someone said they would trust Goldsmith with their life, WOW, I won't even comment on that. :crazy1:
    Goldsmith seems to elicit two different kinds of responses. First is a cult-like adoration by those who like him and second is a strong dislike because of his arrogance and attitude.
    When I first started in this business I was captive, made that mistake once, won't do it again. It's too hard to figure out what kind of a person or organization you're dealing with until you've worked with them a while. If you've signed an agreement that locks you up for 36 months then you're screwed, unless your word isn't any good.

What Goldsmith has done is take a good independent agency and turned it into his own captive agency.
    When I asked Goldsmith about his start in the business one of things that he told me was that he had a mentor that told him how to read policies, what to look for, where to do research, etc.? I didn't ask him what kind of noncompete that person made him sign.
    I guess I'm still looking at HBW because of the agency building opportunity but I sure won't sign up with Goldsmith. Life is too short.

2bapro says that his knowledge is above anybody else she's talked to in the industry. I can tell you that you haven't talked to enough people. He may be above what the average insurance agent knows but I can guarantee you he doesn't hold a candle to others that have attained a CFP, etc. He makes fun of those designations because he doesn't have them. Not everybody that has a CFP is a great consultant but I can guarantee that they had to study a lot of material and to get the designation. How many other trainings have you been too?

Sour grapes, no a disdain for arrogance.

Poseidon78,
    very professional response, I want you for my financial advisor.

Eroen, thanks for the sane response about regulatory organizations. Which brings up a point. I'd be willing to bet that you can't record Goldsmith's trainings!!

Too much whine with the cheese, wasn't whining just commenting on a situation as I see it. You assume because I'm looking at additional opportunites I'm not successful??

I think Goldsmith probably is a good fit for some. I understand Goldsmith is building a huge organization. More power to him. That really doesn't mean anything. HBW recruits from Primerica, how hard is it to show someone that's been at Primerica that being an independent agent is better. I'm sure he's recruited from other captive organizations as well but I'll bet it's a small number.

If you are truly trying to find out something out about this guy here it is.

Robert Goldsmith is a very competive and confident person. Robert is not willing to let someone ride on his coattails and get a free ride. He will not give the competition any advantages or even train them.

In order to get some respect from him you must make the effort and work hard. If you have no time for your business he has no time for you in his business?

He is motivated by action not words. Anyone can talk the talk but who can walk the walk.

He is also like a guard dog. He will protect his team. Why should he give information away and possibly destroy what he has worked so hard to build? Does anyone know what Colonel Harland Sanders' handwritten recipe of 11 herbs and spices are for KFC? That is the reason why Robert keeps the information only to his team. It's called competitive edge.

If you want to succeed he is a great leader and trainer. If you do what he says you will succeed in his group.

I have met him a couple of times and you can truley see his energy, passion, and desire to build the greatest team ever.

I am a new comer to the insurance business coming from a skilled trades background and I am in the process of being a great financial advisor because of Mr. Goldsmith and his team of experts. His team is outstanding and I only can contribute that because of his attention to detail and his knowledge in the financial industry. He is well focused and has the blinkers on, there are no distractions on him driving our team to the top.

I know that Robert's Team philosphy is focus on the mission and not the commission. If you do what is right you will succeed. If you listen to him you can be at the top. Its all about how you want to get there. Listen, learn, and take action. The is no sugar coating it is just as simple as that.

That is who Robert Goldsmith is.

Points to think about:

Why train the competition?

Why would you want to give your secrets away?

Why train someone who does not want to put the time and effort in?

Why sweat the small stuff?

You see I explained who he is and how he operates and I did not give any of his secrets away either.

You may call it a big ego but if thats the only flaw for working with the best, I think I can live with that.
    Last edited by jesmith; 09-14-2008 at 01:17 AM.

11. 12-28-2008, 11:33 AM

Reason
    withdrawn

12. 12-28-2008, 01:13 PM

13. 12-28-2008, 01:49 PM

14. 12-28-2008, 01:56 PM

15. 12-28-2008, 02:47 PM

:2gunsfiring_v1:My, my, look at the self control and respect exhibited by one of our finest, taught to exercise emotional self control and objectivity in dealing with folks with all points of view. So does Robert keep you around to deal with those who are not intimidated by his verbal aggressiveness and intimidation, and who don't 'know their place', Mr. Police Officer friend Joe? It is frightening to know that folks with such an intolerant attitude toward a different point of view are armed and in uniform. Muscle to go with Robert's thought control. Be man enough to admit that someone else isn't necessarily wrong or lazy for having a point of view different than yours, and is asking questions based on his observations . Get some anger control. Do it for the sake of the public that you serve. What Robert is doing is a lot more complicated and subtle than you seem willing or able to understand. Everything that he does is about creating a huge organization to override, including the many ways he keep agents loyal and adversarial with other agents, and locked in if that is the only way. It is about him and his family, and he is glad to help you and yours only because that helps him. God it's frightening that people like you walk around armed. But you like that, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeF View Post
    Dear what’s your name or Coward?

First of all it sounds like you are on a fishing expedition for answers why you are a failure. I got the answer for you, look in the mirror! If you want the truth here it is hope you can handle it and then get back to work because no one is going to build your business for you but you.

Mr. Goldsmith is an honest and hard working person. You don’t know the sacrifices he has made to become successful. His passion for his work which you mock it by criticizing it saying he has an ego that doesn’t stop. No, that’s confidence and leadership. If you would pay attention you might learn something in life.

Mr. Goldsmith has built his organization with lots of hard work, time and great effort. His willingness to share this with you should be a blessing. We all should be grateful to have such a mentor and an extraordinary person like Robert Goldsmith as our leader.

You said, “All he's done is go to trainings put on by people like Bill Bachrach and then use that information in his trainings?”

If that was all he did, I am extremely grateful he is willing to do this. Truth be told, he spends his money so I don’t have to spend mine traveling all over the Country to get this education. By the way by comparison how much does he charge for you to attend his training? Let me answer that for you, it’s practically free. Wow let’s see the Donald top this one. Mr. Goldsmiths training is PRICELESS.

To quote you,“I've done a couple of google searches but didn't really find anything one way or the other.” Well to quote you again you said, “he treats you like an idiot” Well look in the mirror again, because if you Googled him you would have found many things all positive, check out the testimonials at www.hbwopportunity.com tell Mr. Goldsmith his Police Officer friend Joe sent you.
    Robert has worked extremely hard to get where he is today and his enthusiasm and passion shows it by the number of people he has in his organization. Sounds like you are a jealous person? I trust and believe in people like Robert Goldsmith with my life. I remember back in the day when a handshake meant something. A person’s word was as good as gold. Well I guess this fad is not dead after all because we have GOLD-SMITH on our side. No one is forcing you to do anything. You are given an opportunity of a life time here and you just need to realize that. You are in charge of your own destiny and no one but you can make it come true. Remember blood, sweat and tears there are no free lunches in life. Ask MR. CHRIS GARDNER.

Would you like some cheese with your whine?

Joe F.
    Last edited by Fiduciary; 12-28-2008 at 04:35 PM.

:spin2:I have also looked into HBW as an agency building oppportunity. I've talked to several people, including Goldsmith, that have tried to recruit me and it seems like there are a lot of different ways to go at HBW. If I had not been gone from AL Williams for so long it might have been tempting to join him. But I've gained a great deal of knowledge and I can't see any advantage to working with someone that requires you to sign a 36 month noncompete. He sounds very good on the phone but I too am not after something where I sign my professional life away to someone who wants to get overrides on all my business for the rest of my career. I'm sure he's good because he told me so many, many times. Does he have a good program, I'm sure he does and if you're looking for a leader to follow blindly without questioning anything he says, then go for it.

Seems like the guy either has agents that think he's wonderful or agents he's totally ticked off. With the people I've talked to there aren't any that are in between.

I thought HBW was an organization where you're free to do what you want without fear of being sued. Does he tell you about the noncompete when you talk to him? Don't think so because it never came up when I talked to him the first time. Then I ran across this message board and asked him about it.

Sort of reminds me of my good old AL Williams day when everybody followed Art Williams around like a bunch of adoring zombies -- never questioned anything he said or did. Bunch of rah, rah and not much substance. I understand Primerica is still around.

The comment about "why train the competition?" I'll bet a lot of us have had mentors in this business that helped us with sales training, sales ideas, business tips, etc. that never received an override or a split. They just did it because it was a good way to increase more good will in an industry that doesn't have a very good reputation. That's the true way to build good will and an agency. Will you have people take advantage of you, I think that's called "life." But you'll have more that will become life long friends and associates and they'll be good people that care about others, not just an override.

Anyway, glad I found this, confirms what I originally thought. If you're thinking about working with Goldsmith or anybody on his team just do your research and don't get tied in to anything long term. If you're an independent thinker then you're probably better off with somebody else in HBW.

Google HBW and call some of the other people that have websites. before you do anything foolish.

Happy selling!!

I just saw that Robert left HBW and joined Pro Advisors in Allen TX. Why does he keep changing states and companies? Hiding from something...