+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Data Depo

Data Depo

I found this ad in the job listings in the paper.

****Entry Position -- Data Depo
    kahoka, MO
    At Home Data Entry Position

This is a great opportunity for stay at home moms, college students, or anyone who wants to work in the comfort of your own home.

Requirements:
    You will need a computer with Internet access
    Valid email address
    Good typing skills
    Basic Internet knowledge

You will be processing orders from your computer. How often you work and how much you earn is entirely up to you. The average salary is $400-$600 per week, depending on if you are working part or full time.

For more information, please contact [email protected]

Please only SERIOUS applicants.

Upon email my interest to the contact I was presented with this:

Thank you for your inquiry about the work at home data entry position. I received your information and I know you will like what this is all about, providing long-lasting income from the comfort and privacy of your own home. We are all about customer service satisfaction. Here is the description of what you would be doing:

The Data Entry position requires that you have a reliable computer with internet access, a valid e-mail account, basic internet knowledge, and minimal typing skills. You must also be able to conduct yourself in a professional manner. This includes having excellent grammar and spelling when communicating with clients via e-mail.

In addition to the above requirements, you MUST be able to follow instructions closely and completely.

All contact is via E-mail, so you will not be required to call anyone at any time. This allows you to work whichever hours are most convenient for you (days, nights or weekends). You will be processing applications, as well as filling out forms (this tends to be tedious at times, but good money, so please be sure that you have the patience to do so before proceeding). This is why we expect you to have basic internet knowledge, though the training provided will give you step-by-step instructions on how to perform these tasks properly. There are no "down-times" with this position, so you will have a constant flow of work to complete.

You will be paid $20 for each application fully completed. The amount of money you make each week is entirely up to you, and how much time and effort you are willing to put forth with this position. The average person makes $400 -$600 each week, some make even more depending on how many hours you wish to devote.

Once you have been hired by our company you are considered an Independent Contractor. This means that your taxes will not be taken out; therefore, you will not be provided with any tax forms. THIS IS ENTIRELY YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. The training provided will go more in depth about what to do with your taxes.

You will receive your pay through Paypal. When an application is completed, $20 will be credited to your Paypal account, which can be withdrawn into your bank account at your leisure. You can read about the security policies at www.paypal.com.

There is a one-time non- refundable fee of $15.00 for the training materials. This includes all processing fees and training costs, as well as to ensure that only that only serious applicants apply. We have tried to keep our start up fee as low as possible, some companies charge start up fees up to $30 to $50.

Think about it, employers take hundreds of thousands of dollars out of your check over time. I only deduct $15.00 up front and nothing else.

Once you have paid the start up fee by sending $15.00 to [email protected] via paypal, we will mail the training materials to you, and you may begin working as soon as you finish studying your training materials. Most applicants typically complete the training within an hour or less. However, you can do this at your own leisure. Keep in mind that the sooner you get through the training materials, the sooner you will start making money.

The training materials give you step-by-step instructions on how YOU get started. When you receive your training materials you may begin working that same day. Once you have processed your first order you will have made your money back for the cost of the training materials. You will receive your training materials through your E-mail..

If you are serious, and are willing to put forth some time and effort, then I look very forward to hearing from you again.

I have never looked into at home work before. Is this a scam?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Data Depo

Yep, they will probably tell you to put out ads offering work at home typing jobs. When someone contacts you about a job, you send the same type of response and hope that they will pay you for the training materials.. then you tell them to do the same thing.

Yes, it is definitely a scam! Like an idiot, I sent "Mr. Jackson" $15.00 thinking it was a real job...But it was not. If not a scam it was very misleading. You are NOT doing work for them..you are to put ads in various places with the same letter that you and I received...and hopefully get people who are looking for a real opportunity...like I was. I was so disappointed. This one seemed different,,,I found it on indeed,com. Which normally has "real" jobs. At least it only cost me $15.00.

They are still doing that?
    I lost $25 in 1998 to an envelope stuffing scam, that ended up being just that... placing ads in a paper, and giving out information on .... placing ads in the paper. :cwm14:
    :2gunsfiring_v1:419:judges:

Yup this is a scam. This would probably be you posting ads to get other people to give their twenty bucks. This one is pretty common. I fell for it a few years back. Save your $20.

Why would you pay for the job. The newspaper is just another marketing strategy to push their product. No different than any type of marketing efforts on the internet. It's just a chance for them to reach a large group of targeted people.

Thanks for your help everyone! I did send a reply to "Mr. Jackson's" letter asking him for pertinent information about his company and received no response. I kind of figured it was all hooey but, as one poster mentioned, I'd seen the original ad listed on indeed.com and thought it might be worth researching.
    That said, I didn't send him any money. :-D