+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IE virus wtfvs

IE virus wtfvs

Hey guys I had an old laptop running XP Pro. A couple of weeks ago, every time I would connect to the internet via DSL or wireless, the hard drive light would come on - as if it were writing something to the hard drive. It would cause IE to run slower than dial-up. I looked in task manager and although the CPU usage was high, there didn't seem to be a process listed that was using it. I used LavaSoft Adaware to scan on a regular basis as well as Norton 2005. I eventually gave up and bought a new laptop (Vista Home), which now has the same problem. It is obviously related to something that I copied over to the new computer from the old computer. But the things is, Norton Internet security isn't picking up a virus. I used it to scan everything before copying it on to the new computer. Has anyone heard of such a thing or had the same problem? I'd much rather be able to find and remove the problem rather than restore. Thanks!

Re: IE virus wtfvs

Quote Originally Posted by artkolkovk View Post
    Hey guys I had an old laptop running XP Pro. A couple of weeks ago, every time I would connect to the internet via DSL or wireless, the hard drive light would come on - as if it were writing something to the hard drive. It would cause IE to run slower than dial-up. I looked in task manager and although the CPU usage was high, there didn't seem to be a process listed that was using it. I used LavaSoft Adaware to scan on a regular basis as well as Norton 2005. I eventually gave up and bought a new laptop (Vista Home), which now has the same problem. It is obviously related to something that I copied over to the new computer from the old computer. But the things is, Norton Internet security isn't picking up a virus. I used it to scan everything before copying it on to the new computer. Has anyone heard of such a thing or had the same problem? I'd much rather be able to find and remove the problem rather than restore. Thanks!

Maybe you can look at http://www.castlecops.com/forums.html

I have read that forum and a few others when I had problems with my PC.

Sometimes, one antivirus or antispyware won't pick up the trojan or virus.

It may be anything, trojan, virus, or other malware. Some running tasks /applications don't always show up in the Task Manager most especially nuisance programs as above, they hide so that it's harder to detect them.

If you join that forum they will talk you through what you have to do and tell you about any software you have to install to find and eradicate the problem.
    Karma is a Biatch! :yelcutelaughA:

Con artists revealed as the criminals they are! freakB:

The IGNORE feature is the best answer for a FOOL!

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work... User Rank

This is OFF TOPIC for Religious forum - not griping, just saying. Because, actually I have been hoping that a "Computer Operations or some such titled area would be established on this forum, as there are some things I would like to express in this regard.
    As for the problem this person is having, I had something similiar, wherein a certain website intruded into my internet browing session and tried to force me to subscibe to their services at intoductory price of $29.95, which I ingnored. They then installed a notice in my computer that appeared on my screen, about two-thirds of the viewing area, effectually blocking my viewing, with the suggestion that when I subscribed this would be removed.
    I contacted an anti-spyware business which calls itself "noadware.com". They worked with me extensively and helped remove this material from my machine. I subscribed to their services and they installed a program on my machine which was very efficient and helped to maintain my machine free and clear of future such problems.
    Will comment more on following post, as I seem to encounter a problem here when trying to up load lengthy post.
    Thnaks BSR for info!
    Last edited by coontie; 05-01-2008 at 09:37 AM.
    Vasudeva

Quote Originally Posted by coontie View Post
    This is OFF TOPIC for Religious forum - not griping, just saying. Because, actually I have been hoping that a "Computer Operations or some such titled area would be established on this forum, as there are some things I would like to express in this regard.
    As for the problem this person is having, I had something similiar, wherein a certain website intruded into my internet browing session and tried to force me to subscibe to their services at intoductory price of $29.95, which I ingnored. They then installed a notice in my computer that appeared on my screen, about two-thirds of the viewing area, effectually blocking my viewing, with the suggestion that when I subscribed this would be removed.
    I contacted an anti-spyware business which calls itself "noadware.com". They worked with me extensively and helped remove this material from my machine. I subscribed to their services and they installed a program on my machine which was very efficient and helped to maintain my machine free and clear of future such problems.
    Will comment more on following post, as I seem to encounter a problem here when trying to up load lengthy post.
    Thnaks BSR for info!
    I don't know if anybody else has had any luck with this but I have had a great sucess. Nothing can now come on my computer unless I allow it. I use Windows Live One Care It stops everything and I mean everything it will even give your computer a tune up once a month. Cost is 55.00 per year. I have had Norton, McAffee and others but they can't hold a candlestick to this one.

it could be a worm.
    "Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held. Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin. Believe nothing just because someone else believes it. Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true."

Dank u, Thank you, Old Timer, you have rescued everyone now!