+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Beware of Midwest Center for Stress and Anxiety

The Midwest Center for Stress and Anxiety infomercial claim to send you a free CD and what I got was a whole kit and big bill for $519! I called and ordered thinking I was just getting a free CD and the person I spoke with was fast talking and mumbling. When I tried to call and cancel they claimed it was past my trial period and told me I couldn't return it. They are slick and they cover their butt so they never get sued. If this woman in the infomercial, Lucinda Bassett really wanted to help people she would not charge them hundreds of dollars to do so.

So PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE! Do not call them for a free CD! This is a big scam they have going on. I don't want others to get into this mess. I have more stress and anxiety now from them!

Re: Beware of Midwest Center for Stress and Anxiet

Never give out CC information on something that is free, I learned that the hard way.
    :2gunsfiring_v1:419:judges:

I'm so glad I came across this site and thread - I was just about to pick up the phone and order my "free" CD, but thought maybe I should do a little research...... Another scam.

VictomofMidwestCtr : Did you ever receive the rest of the program - since you paid for the whole thing?

AND DON'T FORGET THE STUPID VITAMINS THEY CHARGE YOU FOR IF YOU DON'T CALL AND CANCEL THEM SEPARATELY FROM THE CD JUNK!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by VictomofMidwestCtr View Post
    The Midwest Center for Stress and Anxiety infomercial claim to send you a free CD and what I got was a whole kit and big bill for $519! I called and ordered thinking I was just getting a free CD and the person I spoke with was fast talking and mumbling. When I tried to call and cancel they claimed it was past my trial period and told me I couldn't return it. They are slick and they cover their butt so they never get sued. If this woman in the infomercial, Lucinda Bassett really wanted to help people she would not charge them hundreds of dollars to do so.

So PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE! Do not call them for a free CD! This is a big scam they have going on. I don't want others to get into this mess. I have more stress and anxiety now from them!

I'm sorry that some folks had a bad experience with the MidWest Center. I couldn't read these reports without sharing my experience.

I was suffering from some depression about three years ago and called in for the cds. The customer service representative was very courteous and well spoken. As I recall, I had an option of trying the cds for 30 days, then paying $9.95 for shipping and sending them back or keeping them and paying the $400.

The package arrived on time and I dug into them quickly being careful to follow the instructions correctly. As the first few weeks passed, I found myself feeling much better and decided to keep the cds. I called up and paid with my debit card.

As time went by, I was eventually able to drop my anti-depressant medication. My life still has ups and downs but I have a much easier time getting over the bumps than I did before.

The Midwest Center has helped me change my outlook on life and made me a happier, easier-going person.

One thing I know for sure is that the MidWest Center is NOT a scam. I had a wonderful experience with them. $400 was a very small price to pay for the peace of mind I have now along with the ability I have now to much better control my emotions.

I would suggest to anyone experiencing problems with the MW Center, is to take it easy, call them up, explain the situation and I'm sure you'll be treated fairly.

The MidWest Center is awesome!

Somehow a package was mailed to me from the Midwest Center. I never ordered their stuff and called right away to inform them that I did not place this order. The box was mailed back to them and my bank removed the shipping fees as it was a fraudulent charge.

I now have the Midwest Center taking me to collections for something I never ordered and actually shipped back to them. Not sure how to handle this one just yet. My first inclination is the folks at Midwest are the culprits of the fraud charge to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by kidemu View Post
    I'm sorry that some folks had a bad experience with the MidWest Center. I couldn't read these reports without sharing my experience.

I was suffering from some depression about three years ago and called in for the cds. The customer service representative was very courteous and well spoken. As I recall, I had an option of trying the cds for 30 days, then paying $9.95 for shipping and sending them back or keeping them and paying the $400.

The package arrived on time and I dug into them quickly being careful to follow the instructions correctly. As the first few weeks passed, I found myself feeling much better and decided to keep the cds. I called up and paid with my debit card.

As time went by, I was eventually able to drop my anti-depressant medication. My life still has ups and downs but I have a much easier time getting over the bumps than I did before.

The Midwest Center has helped me change my outlook on life and made me a happier, easier-going person.

One thing I know for sure is that the MidWest Center is NOT a scam. I had a wonderful experience with them. $400 was a very small price to pay for the peace of mind I have now along with the ability I have now to much better control my emotions.

I would suggest to anyone experiencing problems with the MW Center, is to take it easy, call them up, explain the situation and I'm sure you'll be treated fairly.

The MidWest Center is awesome!
    Wow!

Somebody works for MidWest ... look folks ... 99.99999999999999999999999999999% of informercials are scams.

Most of them play between midnight to 5ish AM because they know the segment of the population that tends to be up at that time of night are either debt-riddled insomniacs who are worrying about their finances or desperate, lonlely folks who want more friends, a sex life, a bigger penis, more self confidence, more money, less debt, etc ...

I mean look at all of the infomercials out there. The majority of them prey on this segment of the population's fears/desires.

Even the ones that are just selling inferior merchandise (Awesome Auger, Popeil's Pocket Fisherman, etc) are still scams in their own right. They sell you something, BUT WAIT ... THERE'S MORE. For just paying shipping & handling you can get another one for free (ever notice you always get a double order on these things) ... yeah well S&H is like $25 or something ridiculous like that. The products are always inferior and the "demonstrations" are always rigged in some way.

It's the modern day Snake Oil Salesman. He doesn't go door-to-door with his wagon anymore. No he gets an infomercial and brings the wagon to your living room TV.

Seriously folks ... stop wasting money on anything on an infomercial, and they'll stop making these stupid things. Anything, and I do mean ANYTHING, you see on an infomercial can be bought for cheaper online ... just Google the dang thing and if Amazon.com doesn't have it (and for cheaper after S&H) then you can get it on eBay from some poor sucker who paid full price for it ... and you get the added benefit of one transaction and you're done. None of this automatically renewing subscription junk that ends up taking your bank account to the cleaners on a monthly basis because you can't ever get anyone on the phone to cancel.

Look, it took me 15 seconds to find this thing on eBay:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

Looks like you can get it on eBay for WAY cheaper than a months worth of rent!!

STOP BEING A SUCKER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tonychester View Post
    Somehow a package was mailed to me from the Midwest Center. I never ordered their stuff and called right away to inform them that I did not place this order. The box was mailed back to them and my bank removed the shipping fees as it was a fraudulent charge.

I now have the Midwest Center taking me to collections for something I never ordered and actually shipped back to them. Not sure how to handle this one just yet. My first inclination is the folks at Midwest are the culprits of the fraud charge to begin with.
    Contact the Federal Trade Commission, Better Business Bureau, and your state's Attorney General.

There are systems in place to protect the consumer from these exact types of tactics, it's why they're there.

If you truly did not order the items then they have nothing to prove that you did order it ... so they'd have nothing that would stand up in court. If you challenge them, even a little bit, I would bet they'd back down and move on to an easier victim.

You must have had a poor communicator on the phone. The guy I talked to made it very clear that the free CD was little more than more testimonials like the ones on the infomercial. And he also made it clear what my costs would be and how I could cancel it within 30 days. As for spending the $500, I would simply ask you, how much have you paid for professional counseling and prescription medications? Probably more than this. Had you investigated this company with the Better Business Bureau, you would have found, as I did, that they have an A+ rating.

I am not here to advocate the program. I have not received mine yet and don't know what the results will be. But as for the costs, and exactly how much time I have to cancel it, this much was made perfectly clear from the beginning. I'm sorry you had a bad experience. But considering the $$ I've spent in the past on "professional" help, I'm willing to spend a few more dollars for this program. I've heard about the Midwest Center for many years. They have a long track record and a great BBB rating. These are not without worth.

I used to hear Lucinda's ads on my local news radio station on my way to or home from work.
    This was 4 to 5 years ago now.

I was feeling depressed a lot, and thought I would try the program before going to my doctor.

I did not order anything by phone. That is my first line of defense against fraudulent ads. When you order online, you get to read all of the info before you order. You can use Google and other search tools to find out whether the offer is legit or not.

I decided that the Midwest Center was indeed legit; not a scam.
    I ordered the program with a money-back guarantee.
    I did not have to purchase any vitamins or other goodies.

I do not recall paying anywhere near $400 for the program. I think it was more on the order of $150. Maybe it was a special deal at the time.

I received my CD's (and tapes) several days later, and started the program.
    After a couple of weeks, well before the 30-day trial period was due to expire, I thought that this program was not for me. I couldn't see how listening to a CD would make me feel better. All it seemed to be was people talking about their problems, and how to work on your problem.
    There was an exercise that you were supposed to do each night, and I found that more helpful than listening to the sessions.

I called the number to cancel my program (as I said, well before the 30-day trial was up), and was talked out of cancelling. I would not say that the person I talked to was really pushy, but I had to agree that two weeks was not enough time to determine that the program was not going to work.

After I had paid for the program, and used it for a couple of months, I pretty much decided that it had been a waste of money.
    Not a scam, but a waste of money.

The thing is, that this kind of program can work very well for some people. You have to be willing to put in the time and effort to make it work.
    It's kind of like real therapy. If you don't put in an effort to make it work, it is a waste of your time and money. But at least your health insurance will pay most of the cost of therapy with a real doctor.

Eventually, I went to my regular doctor, and he prescribed an anti-depressant for me. I have to say that the meds helped and are helping me a lot more than any self-help program ever did.

The combination of the meds and being active in sports (I am a runner, have run 9 marathons so far) has been what works for me.
    I spend a lot of time reading what others say about depression; in blogs, web sites, etc, but I never pay for any of that info anymore.

My best advice for depression and/or anxiety is to FIRST speak with your DOCTOR. You really need to discuss this with him/her. Depression is a serious illness, and there are many treatments including medication, therapy, exercise, that will be different for each person.

I hope this was of use for you.

FW
    Last edited by fw2009; 08-26-2009 at 06:07 AM.

Beware of Midwest Center for Stress and Anxiet

Contact the Federal Trade Commission, Better Business Bureau, and your state's Attorney General.
    This is the best way to hold them. I think we must point such type of spammers. Practice can be the cause of anxiety and depression when u ask for free but they charge for it.

Midwest Center is losing their confidence.
    is not it??

This is not a scam. They are there to make money, yes, people have to be paid. You would want to. But the program helped me and I ordered and returned it. No problem. Just could not afford it. Then I found it on Amazon.com for 120.00 dollars. It helped me greatly. It takes time to work through your problems. And anti-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs were making me worse. The problem is within and a drug will cover it up. I don't trust doctors with this type of medication, but that is just me. You have to deal with your problems. Turns out my problem is with negative thinking and that is what the program tackles. The people on the CD's are all different because we are all different. I related to some but not all of them. The doctors did not tackle that or how to handle anything. Just take this pill and bye, see you next time and $25.00 please. Plus all the details go to your insurance company. Nice thought. You can not expect to be all right with just a few CD's, you have to listen to all of them. It takes time. And people with anxiety can't wait it seems for anything, just jump!

MWC is not a scam. Get clarity when ordering.

I was recetnly thinking about how the Midwest Center was my first step on a wonderful journy of self help and discovery. I first ordered this program about 10 years ago when I was severly anxious and depressed. The Midwest Center was supportive and amazing. Reading the negative posts make me realize more than ever that we need to take charge of our own lives and not let someone elses negative experience ruin our chance for change and growth. It's been a long time since I ordered the program, but if you are suffering with anxiety, worry, negative thinking, this program DEFINITELY works. If the customer service person is not clear...ASK them to be. Get information and clarity. Unfortunately, personality traits of anxiety and depression sufferes are to "not speak up for themselves" or "ask questions" or "get clarity". For anyone that might assume I work for the Midwest Center and am posting this to "save face"...I don't. However, with the change they helped me make in my life, I'd be honered to work with them.
    Blessed Be.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey.dougal View Post
    As for spending the $500, I would simply ask you, how much have you paid for professional counseling and prescription medications? Probably more than this.
    Well I think your comparison of a bunch of cds vs professional 1 on 1 counselling and perscription drugs is WAY off, but with that said - I did a little digging and these seem like a legit product.

With that said if you want to buy them, just look on ebay - there is a set of the CDs on there right now for about $70....

Oh and if you have a problem with them, first contact them and try to resolve it. If they won't help you- you can try contacting the BBB - in the last 36 months - 214 people have filed complaints and 192 of them were resolved....

http://www.bbb.org/toledo/business-r...harbor-oh-1439

I also think 214 complaints is pretty high for a place like this but they at least they are resolving them.

Quote Originally Posted by fw2009 View Post
    I used to hear Lucinda's ads on my local news radio station on my way to or home from work.
    This was 4 to 5 years ago now.

I was feeling depressed a lot, and thought I would try the program before going to my doctor.

I did not order anything by phone. That is my first line of defense against fraudulent ads. When you order online, you get to read all of the info before you order. You can use Google and other search tools to find out whether the offer is legit or not.

I decided that the Midwest Center was indeed legit; not a scam.
    I ordered the program with a money-back guarantee.
    I did not have to purchase any vitamins or other goodies.

I do not recall paying anywhere near $400 for the program. I think it was more on the order of $150. Maybe it was a special deal at the time.

I received my CD's (and tapes) several days later, and started the program.
    After a couple of weeks, well before the 30-day trial period was due to expire, I thought that this program was not for me. I couldn't see how listening to a CD would make me feel better. All it seemed to be was people talking about their problems, and how to work on your problem.
    There was an exercise that you were supposed to do each night, and I found that more helpful than listening to the sessions.

I called the number to cancel my program (as I said, well before the 30-day trial was up), and was talked out of cancelling. I would not say that the person I talked to was really pushy, but I had to agree that two weeks was not enough time to determine that the program was not going to work.

After I had paid for the program, and used it for a couple of months, I pretty much decided that it had been a waste of money.
    Not a scam, but a waste of money.

The thing is, that this kind of program can work very well for some people. You have to be willing to put in the time and effort to make it work.
    It's kind of like real therapy. If you don't put in an effort to make it work, it is a waste of your time and money. But at least your health insurance will pay most of the cost of therapy with a real doctor.

Eventually, I went to my regular doctor, and he prescribed an anti-depressant for me. I have to say that the meds helped and are helping me a lot more than any self-help program ever did.

The combination of the meds and being active in sports (I am a runner, have run 9 marathons so far) has been what works for me.
    I spend a lot of time reading what others say about depression; in blogs, web sites, etc, but I never pay for any of that info anymore.

My best advice for depression and/or anxiety is to FIRST speak with your DOCTOR. You really need to discuss this with him/her. Depression is a serious illness, and there are many treatments including medication, therapy, exercise, that will be different for each person.

I hope this was of use for you.

FW

I'm sorry, but I have to completely disagree with your closing statement. I understand that some forms of treatment aren't for eveyone but that's no reason to recommend that everyone goes to see a doctor first. That's whats wrong with a whole lot of people to begin with...no one wants to face their issues head on and would rather rely on some pill to make everything better. If you have clinical depression, I understand the need for medicine but if your depression comes from a lack of ability to cope with life's problems, then other treatment alternitives should be sought before just copping out to medicine.

Personally, I suffered from what many "mental and emotional health professionals" refer to as Anxiety Disorder. Yet like yourself, these so called professionals' treatment didn't help me much at all...I even had the tape and self help book from Lucinda Bassett. Just like you said, I could see how her treatments could be inspiring to people but as a teenager at the time I could not totally relate to many of the things in the book and the type of person I am, natually I don't automatically assume what worked for other people is going to work for me. What really helped me overcome my anxiety attacks was my persistance to face them head on, the support of my family in helping me to face it, and my faith in the Almighty. And honestly, I thank Him that I went through that because I'm a far stronger person now than before I went through it and dependancy on medication would not have allowed that to happen.

So, allow others to explore different methods of treatment and FIGHT to make their problems their greatest fuel for success!

I found a trick for places like this, that ask give you a 30 day 'free' trial. When I ordered this course, all I wanted was the free CD. But the lady on the line, although pleasant, was persuasive. She reduced the S&H from $14.95 to $4.95. That was ok.

She explained in detail how to return the kit if I didn't like it within 30 days. Also said my card would be charged $80 a month for 6 months, if I didn't return it within that time. So, I gave her my DEBIT card information.

However, because this is a program I really do want to investigate, but absolutely cannot afford, I hedged my ability to return it. I went to my bank and explained my Debit Card might have been compromised. They blocked my old one (the one MCSAAD got), and issued me a new one.

So, when I am done evaluating this program, I will be able to ship it back, and they will not be able to "accidentally" charge my account for $80.

I would not advise blocking your debit card for any old thing, but this gave me a gut-level feeling something might go wrong in my "trial", so I made sure it would not.

If for any reason they should take me to collections, they'll be in for a surprise. They'll get the phone number to my Attorney and told to stick it. THAT will make me feel a whole lot 'happier' for sure!
    Last edited by petepuma; 02-26-2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Statement was left out