+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Avon Cosmetics Scam?

My mom got some recommendations for this product sales called Avon Cosmetics. They would give you products and you would sell them door-to-door or online. I was suspicious of this right away and it immediately sounded like a pyramid scheme. After finding results of others who were "scammed" by Avon I tried to warn her, but she had already given her social security number and signed a contract. Is their anyway out of this contract that won't result in anymore expenses? And should I worry that they have her social security number and can now access her bank with it?

Re: Avon Cosmetics Scam?

No. Avon has been around for years and they aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by otbelite1 View Post
    My mom got some recommendations for this product sales called Avon Cosmetics. They would give you products and you would sell them door-to-door or online. I was suspicious of this right away and it immediately sounded like a pyramid scheme. After finding results of others who were "scammed" by Avon I tried to warn her, but she had already given her social security number and signed a contract. Is their anyway out of this contract that won't result in anymore expenses? And should I worry that they have her social security number and can now access her bank with it?
    LOL......Avon is not a scam. lol My mother used to sell Avon products when we were very young and they always gave their top sellers gifts, prizes and took them to lavish dinners at hotels. She was always getting freebies from them. I'm talking 70's/80's.

The good thing about Avon is that you don't have to buy up large amounts of stock for products that will eventually expire in your garage and which you will later be unable to sell.

Avon is a pay as you go type of deal. Best thing to do is get a couple of their brochures and then just give it to people to browse through and they will usually order without you having to do the hard sell.

I get their products from time to time whenever someone has a brochure. Personally, I stopped ordering things from strangers at the door because I really don't know the people selling, and it's not so safe these days. But if a friend of a friend has a brochure, or somebody from work etc I will order from them.

Also, Avon tend to have sales of their products which are available for their representatives. Usually end of season type stuff.

But yeah, it is always good to check things out because you just never know these days who is a wolf in sheep's clothing.

So, hope this helps.
    Last edited by BAILEYSCREAMS_REVENGE; 04-24-2008 at 02:25 PM.
    Karma is a Biatch! :yelcutelaughA:

Con artists revealed as the criminals they are! freakB:

The IGNORE feature is the best answer for a FOOL!

Avon is freakin awesome. I think they are around 115 years old or something like that and are in over 180 countries, so they're definitely NOT a $cam... and I think this is the first time I've even heard anyone imply that they are... haha. I'm a little shocked.

I sold Avon for a while. I stopped because I hate having to deliver things, but I still continued to order through myself and got a 10-20% discount on things that I used to have to pay full price for when I bought them through my Avon lady. I also got to see the new products before Avon put them in their catalogs, and had the chance to purchase them for a "demo" price. It's pretty cool!
    I do not believe that MLM/Network Marketing is a bad business model. I believe it's the shady people in MLM that make it LOOK bad. As long as you work hard, run your business ethically, and work with ethical people, then MLM can help you reach your financial goals... whether it's just to make extra money on the side or a full-time income.

"Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with years of experience."

Pink Zebra Sprinkles

Quote Originally Posted by April47 View Post
    Avon is freakin awesome. I think they are around 115 years old or something like that and are in over 180 countries, so they're definitely NOT a $cam... and I think this is the first time I've even heard anyone imply that they are... haha. I'm a little shocked.

I sold Avon for a while. I stopped because I hate having to deliver things, but I still continued to order through myself and got a 10-20% discount on things that I used to have to pay full price for when I bought them through my Avon lady. I also got to see the new products before Avon put them in their catalogs, and had the chance to purchase them for a "demo" price. It's pretty cool!
    I agree with everything April said. Except I think they are older than I am. I have a friend who has been a rep for 30 years.

JMO

Never thought i would see Avon hit this board,but for some any network marketing is a scam.. go figure
    This is for the Rednecks out there

Quote Originally Posted by otbelite1 View Post
    I hope your joking.

NO, Avon is not a scam.

Kerry
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Avon is in no way a SCAM, It's a business!!

Not a scam - but you have to sell so much or you dont get paid. My sister sold for a few months but there were times she only sold like $60 and she didnt get paid.

i have been a rep for several months now for avon, it only cost me 10 bucks to sign up, i did have to give my ss number but no bank info.
    you have to be a very paranoid person to think that this is a scam! it is a way to make money! they have been around for over 100 years and the prices even beat most prices for cosmetic you buy at drugstores or walmart. you dont even have to pay for your products up front! you collect the money from your clients when you deliver the product, then you pay what you owe to avon and keep the rest for yourself, every order i have placed so far i have been able to keep 50 percent of what i collect. its usually 33% but they are offering extra incentives to the reps due to the bad economy.
    not a scam but it is what you put into it, if your mom sells alot and makes an effort she will make money and be able to order her won make up at a much cheaper price!!

you have to sell - so you get a commision. so far, so good.

you have to spend your time and money for gas delivering the product.
    now you are at a loss, so what was the point?

time is money. you could have been doing something useful at minimum wage or better.
    Last edited by mumbles; 04-15-2009 at 12:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mumbles View Post
    you have to sell - so you get a commision. so far, so good.

you have to spend your time and money for gas delivering the product. now you are at a loss, so what was the point?

time is money. you could have been doing something useful at minimum wage or better.

LOOOOL!!

You should stop taking the drugs mumbles rofl

You've obviously never done anything like a sales business..... and you're trying to give people advice on it... too funny!!
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

you know nothing about me. i was selling door to door when i was 8 because they wouldn't let me have a paper route that young. it was all-occasion cards. found the ad in back of comic book. people asked, "are you selling for the boy scouts or something?" no, lady, i am selling for money, because i am poor.

it took long hours. but at that age, nobody was going to hire me and pay me an hourly rate, so it was all i had.

most of my life i have worked two or three jobs at a time. when a potential employers say, "i want your complete resume", i say, no you don't! then explain that it would probably be over 100 pages covering 50 years.

i just wanted to try some of everything. new jobs that i know nothing about are just fun to me. doing the same thing over and over gets to be boring.

i stick to what i said - when evaluating opportunity, consider all the expenses, including a fair value for your time, the use of you car and phone. there are cases where you need some quick cash, and a legal way to get it, but a 12 hour shift flipping burgers won't kill you and after a few of those you'll be on overtime. you may be able to walk there, or short bus ride. while working, you meet people in your similar situation, and may be able to work out some shared expenses, like child care, or sharing house or apartment.

develop your job skills so one day, when the manager suddenly quits, the owner comes in to find you calmly running his business as well as it was ever run before. instant battlefield promotion.

in july, the minimum wage goes to $7.25. if your sales job isn't paying you more than that after your expenses, then let somebody else do it. you can't afford to lose money right now. get a job.
    Last edited by mumbles; 04-15-2009 at 01:19 AM.

you know nothing about me. i was selling door to door when i was 8 because they wouldn't let me have a paper route that young. it was all-occasion cards. found the ad in back of comic book. people asked, "are you selling for the boy scouts or something?" no, lady, i am selling for money, because i am poor.

it took long hours. but at that age, nobody was going to hire me and pay me an hourly rate, so it was all i had.

most of my life i have worked two or three jobs at a time. when a potential employers say, "i want your complete resume", i say, no you don't! then explain that it would probably be over 100 pages covering 50 years.

i just wanted to try some of everything. new jobs that i know nothing about are just fun to me. doing the same thing over and over gets to be boring.

i stick to what i said - when evaluating opportunity, consider all the expenses, including a fair value for your time, the use of you car and phone. there are cases where you need some quick cash, and a legal way to get it, but a 12 hour shift flipping burgers won't kill you and after a few of those you'll be on overtime. you may be able to walk there, or short bus ride. while working, you meet people in your similar situation, and may be able to work out some shared expenses, like child care, or sharing house or apartment.

develop your job skills so one day, when the manager suddenly quits, the owner comes in to find you calmly running his business as well as it was ever run before. instant battlefield promotion.

in july, the minimum wage goes to $7.25. if your sales job isn't paying you more than that after your expenses, then let somebody else do it. you can't afford to lose money right now. get a job.
    Each to their own, as they say. Minimum wage, with the hope that I might fill dead mans shoes one day, isnt for me.

As for expenses. Of course there are expenses, its a business. With something like Avon, you build it up so that your income is higher than your expenses just like any business.
    You will probably condense all your deliveries into one day a week, and sort out your deliveries into a round, with houses being delivered to that are close to each other.

Delivery type businesses like Avon have great advantages because you build up a good relationship with the customer, by seeing them every month or two.
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

You have to wonder if the OP has been living in a cave without any form of communication to question Avon. Sorry, I ain't falling for it. I personally don't know one person that hasn't heard of Avon. Possibly someone hasn't in a few foreign countries, but the OP is from a major metro area.
    As of April23, 2010, I will no longer participate as a moderator or member of a site where posts and threads are removed unjustly by the ADMIN or a rogue mod.

Way too funny!:spin2: