+ Reply to Thread

Does this look like a scam?

So my sister is spending the semester abroad, and needed to rent an apartment in Paris, and found this. My parents and I both thought it looked suspicious, so they didn't send the money, but we weren't sure if we should notify the police or not.

Here's a copy of the advertisement. I couldn't find any mention of the person's name or address on Google.

HELLO,
    THIS IS THE RENTAL AGREEMENT FORM WHICH I WILL ADVICE YOU TO READ VERY WELL
    COS THIS IS WHAT WILL CONSTITUTE THE BASIS FOR OUR CONTRACT.AFTER READING THIS
    AND YOU ARE OK WITH MY TERMS AND CONDITIONS THEN YOU CAN PROCEED WITH PAYMENT
    WHICH MUST BE RECEIVE BY MY MOTHER IN LONDON SO THAT I CAN SECURE THE PLACE FOR
    YOU COS I HAVE MANY PEOPLE WHO WANT THIS PLACE AND I GIVE TO THE MOST SERIOUS
    PERSON WHO PAYS ME
    FIRST.PLEASE MAKE PAYMENT AVAILABLE TO MY MOM IN LONDON WITHIN 48HOURS VIA
    WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER WITH THE FOLLOWING INFO:

Mrs. EMMY ROBSON
    42, SALTER FORT RD.,
    LONDON. SW17 9TE
    ENGLAND
    PHONE: +447956113461

LET ME HAVE THE FOLLOWING AFTER SENDING THE PAYMENT:
    1.MTCN NUMBER,
    2.AMOUNT SENT,
    3 NAME AND ADDRESS OF SENDER

HOWEVER, I WILL SEND THE SIGNED AGREEMENT/CONTRACT FORM TO YOUR POSTAL ADDRESS
    VIA COURIER TO WHICH YOU WILL ALSO HAVE TO SIGN AS WELL AND BRING ALONG WITH
    YOU WHEN COMING DOWN HERE,THEN WE HAVE A CONTRACT IN FORCE. PLEASE SEND ME YOUR
    SWIZERLAND ADDRESS AND A SCAN COPY OF YOUR ID.

WAITING TO HEAR FROM YOU.
    CLAIRE

Thanks for any advice.

Re: Does this look like a scam?

REEKS of scam. In fact I was not even looking for lodging and received something almost identical to this in my spam folder. That was about 4 months ago. Unfortunately I deleted it.

If your sister or parents placed an ad in the classifieds somewhere, there is no doubt a scammer/spammer picked it up.
    ~jennifer
    "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the
    stream always wins - not through strength, but through persistence."
    Buddha
    ~ www.gotojenniferfisher.com

Re: Does this look like a scam?

Aye. It is a scam.

When I hear Western Union, I always know a scam is present. Who knows, that "mom" of his in London never existed anyway. He'll just pick up the money at the WU office and never give you anything in return.
    Visit my machinima blog here.