+ Reply to Thread

Lessons Learned From a Backyard Garden

Lessons Learned From a Backyard Garden

This spring I've finally put my preparations and research into effect, and perhaps not a moment too soon. The worldwide food shortages are beginning to impact even food-rich countries like America. To be honest, compared to droughts in even first-world nations like Spain, I have absolutely no right to complain, but I am taking a serious leap into growing our own food supply in a revisitation of the old WWII Victory Gardens.

Here's a few things I've learned so far that books and such didn't prepare me for, and lessons learned the hard way.

# Thoroughly weed, then mulch - It's best to have 2 different colors of mulch. Your "bulk mulch" will go between the planted rows, and should go down over the bare soil after it is weeded. Don't mulch the planeted rows until you get sprouts. Once you get sprouts (or if you're transferring from planters) mulch around the base, up and down the row, with the 2nd color of mulch. This will make identifying where it's safe to step, as well as the boundaries of weeds and such, a lot easier. The mulch will also allow the soil to retain more water (which most veg need lots of), and will help prevent weed growth.

# Plant a flag by each seed - If you aren't transferring from planters, but are planting seeds directly, plant a small flag near each seed. It makes it a thousand times easier later on to tell whether or not you're cultivating a vegetable or a random weed. If I had done this, it would literally have cut my weeding time down by about 3/4. Instead, still in these early stages of sprouting, I'm having to strain to tell the difference between what is a weed, and what is desired veg.

# Keep a log/picture book - I really wish I'd done this. If you're planting from seed, it's a really good idea to keep a separate page for each row, and on each row's page, note what you planted, when, how far apart you spaced stuff, and some photos of what the veg should look like at each stage. It's easy to tell what a mature Bell Pepper plant looks like. It's the ones with the bell peppers on it. But what about the other months of its early life?

# Keep your rows perpendicular to the drainage - If your yard drains from north to south, your rows should stretch east and west. This is to retain your soil and moisture, as erosion will quickly affect an "ungrassed" area of the lawn.

# Preventive Mixture - If you're thinking about starting a garden, then as of today, start saving all your used coffee grounds, crushed eggshells, and ash (assuming you burn any wood, not chemical logs). The mixture of those three things, spread around the base of each plant, will prevent most pests from eating your veg. It's not foolproof, but it helps a lot.

# Plant Marigolds and Aromatic Spices at the Edges - Marigolds exude some scent that deters rodents (like rabbits) from eating your plants, and also encourages beneficial bugs to the area. Aromatic Spices (like oregano, basil, etc) similarly drive away many pests and encourage good bugs. Since you'll still need to be able to walk between your rows, limit yourself to one plant at each end of each row.

# Keep your compost heaps along the edge - If you keep your compost heap along the edge of your garden, the mineral-rich water drainage that goes through it will saturate the surrounding area, enriching it. It also allows you to water your compost heap with whatever excess you might otherwise lose when using a sprinkler. Best of all, though, next planting season, rather than carting your fresh compost across the yard, you need only rake it out flat and you've got instant, soft earth that has just expanded your planting area. When your heap gets a couple of feet high, simply start a new one right next to it, and cover the old one with dirt and mulch. It'll continue to break down throughout the year without your help.

# Space rows wide enough to sit between them - Even though the package of radishes and carrots says you need only plant them a few inches apart, remember that you still have to get in there and weed the things. If you can't sit down, there's probably not enough space to move through the rows comfortably. Don't worry about food loss. Remember the adage: he who sews thinly, reaps thickly; he who sews thickly, reaps thinly.

# Line your planting area with a border - I only had enough border to do the bottom edge, and I'd only done it to retain the soil. What I didn't realize is how much this helps keep grass from spreading back into the fertile area. I really wish I'd had more borders down before the grass had come back. Now I'm fighting grass and weeds.

# Water early, Water late - Two brief waterings (30min or so) spaced around 10 hours apart are a lot better on average than one hour-long watering. This is pretty subject to local climate and specific crops though, but it's a good rule of thumb, as most veg require lots of water.

# If you wait, it's too late - If I've learned anything at all from this process, it's that if you wait until the day the stores no longer have food, or when you can't afford to buy it, then you waited too late to grow your own food supply. You'll starve before you'll ever get to subsist off of it. If you have any concern that you might need to grow your own food supply, the time to start is while there is still food on the table, and the prospect of it being there tomorrow is still likely. Even a perfectly tended garden will take weeks and months before producing anything edible.

This is what I've learned so far, and I haven't even yielded any veg yet. I'm sure I'll learn more along the way, and veteran vegetable gardeners feel free to give any advice you have.
    more...
    http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread349534/pg1
    The internet is the last light of truth and hope...it is truly of the people, by the people and for the people. We must not let it be subverted for any purpose other than the truth. And that truth shall spread to every man woman and child across the globe. No longer will those in power carry the sole means to decide for us, yet we now shall have the power to decide to tune them out.

Re: Lessons Learned From a Backyard Garden

Quote Originally Posted by Paladine View Post
    Enjoy!

http://www.gtghydroponics.com
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

3. 04-19-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote Originally Posted by jigglepete View Post
    You can enjoy your garden all year long if you also will take the time to learn how to vacuum pack your produdce for future use during the lean times when the weather is to cold for a garden.

http://www.perelandra-ltd.com/index.cfm

The Way DVD-ROM

The Way combines the ancient art of tracking with martial arts and
    survival skills. This is the way of the warrior, how we coming to know
    ourselves by understanding the ancient life skills which are native
    to all people on earth. They are a path with heart to the fundemental
    question; the Who, What, Where, When and Why of human existance.

Enjoy, and please copy freely.

Disc Contents
    ---------------------

"Bruce Lee - A Warriors Journey" - the documentary on teh Life and death
    of Bruce lee, warrior philosophy and the matrial art style he created,
    Jeet Kun Do. Also include rare footage from the film "Game of Death"

"Way of the Warrior - Cliff Benton.mp3" - The late cliff Benton speaks
    about ancient life ways, wilderness survival and Warrior Philosophy.
    This file was found on the She Who Remebers Archives CD-ROms.

"Aikido, The Art of Fighting Without FIghting.pdf" - a book about how
    to avoid fighting written by a very experince street fighter.

"Alone In the Wilderness - Documentary.mpg" - the classic Film about the
    story of Dick Proenneke, who found a place, built a cabin and lived
    off the land for 40 years. This film shows how he did it and why.

"Black Elk - Lakota Elder Speaks to the People.mp3" - Wallace Black Elk,
    a traditional Lakota elder and spiritual interpreter talks to the people
    about all of our relations and the definition of power.

"Carlos Casteneda - Journey To Ixtlan" an excellent introduction to the
    Art of Stalking. Don Juan shares his teachings of wilderness lore while
    Carlos rekindles his hunters spirit on his hunt for knwoledge.

"Chi Power - Rag Doll Kung Fu.wmv" a trailer for a video game called
    Rag Doll Kung Fu... Classic.

"CNL Nationals - Kicking Contest.mpg" - Short clip from a national
    competition of martial artists. Has to be seen to be believed.

"Hagakure - Book Of The Samurai.pdf" - Dicover the Way of the Samurai,
    their stories and history. Much on ancient ways and eastern philosophy.

"Infinity Warriors - Thoughts On The Path" - Interesting blog with
    stories about infinite awareness, ancient wisdom and warrior philosophy.

"Jack Mountain Journal - Ice Fishing.wmv" - A series of short videos
    about wilderness survival, fishing and outdoor education. All episodes.

"Jon Young - Seeing Through Native Eyes.mp3" - Jon Young, fonder of the
    Wilderness Awareness School, gives his first talk on learning the Art of
    Tracking. Includes the entire "Seeing Through Native Eyes" series.

"Raising a Lion Cub - Kobie Kruger.asf" - Laura Lee radio show with
    traveller and naturalist Kobie Kruger. kobie talks about bush lore and
    her experineces working with animals and teaching people about nature.

"Surviving Outdoors - Classic Guides.mht" A excellent article which
    incorpoartes wise quotes and with a great amount of survival lore and
    references to classic survival guides.

"Tai Chi - Mixed Sword-Forms.mpeg" - forty-eight sword forms executed
    through the practice of tai chi. Perfectly performed to music.

"The Silent Way of the Ninja.pdf" - a practical and spiritual approach
    to becoming one with any environment, seeing and moving through darkness,
    and becoming invisible while hidding in plain sight. Very Cool.

"Tracker Resources.htm" - a great list of wilderness awareness and tracker
    links and resources, including authors like Jon Youngs, Tom Brown and others.

Download
    http://conspiracycentral.net:6969/st...07eee47de97e1b

Last edited by Paladine; 04-19-2008 at 06:55 PM.
    The internet is the last light of truth and hope...it is truly of the people, by the people and for the people. We must not let it be subverted for any purpose other than the truth. And that truth shall spread to every man woman and child across the globe. No longer will those in power carry the sole means to decide for us, yet we now shall have the power to decide to tune them out.

HOORAY FOR THE GARDEN!!!!
    I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck. ~Emma Goldman

sounds like peregrine needs a good stiff drink, LOL! You can have a garden in CONTAINERS too, for those of you on limited space. I find that the tomatoes and cucumbers grow more stronger this way, I am talking about PLASTIC STORAGE CONTAINERS. Just make some carved openings on the side bottoms and put in your organic potting soil, and use tomatoe cages and use that for the cucumber plants as well. You can grow your own parsley and when it is ready you can dry the parsley in a container in the sun, and all you have to do is pinch them and you have your own dried parsley. Roma tomatoes are the easiest to grow and they are prolific. I always plant them. You can build your own greenhouse with PVC pipes and Clear plastic sheets. To start your garden and to extend your garden. Start saving your own seeds. For in the future, the gov may not let you GARDEN with normal regular seeds, it will be AGAINST THE BLOODY LAW. You know what I am talking about PALADINE. Also jigglepete was telling people about the AERO GROW, that you can grow foods on a kitchen counter. All year around, lettuce, tomatoes, strawberries, and other herbs. They advertise this on tv sometimes. They are expensive about $150 but I think it would be a wise investment.

I find potatoes are the easiest thing to grow. When I was a teenager, I was able to grow two big buckets full of potatoes.

We had some really nice and yellow cyprus potatoes and they were delicious, so I got a few of them and threw them into the ground in the back garden and before I knew it everybody in the house was helping to water them.

We had an extremely hot summer at the time and the potatoes thrived. Some of the potatoes grew so big. I was very proud, I even gave some to my neighbour. They were growing sweetcorn and they gave me a few as well as a thank you.
    Karma is a Biatch! :yelcutelaughA:

Con artists revealed as the criminals they are! freakB:

The IGNORE feature is the best answer for a FOOL!

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work... User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy View Post
    sounds like peregrine needs a good stiff drink, LOL! You can have a garden in CONTAINERS too, for those of you on limited space. I find that the tomatoes and cucumbers grow more stronger this way, I am talking about PLASTIC STORAGE CONTAINERS. Just make some carved openings on the side bottoms and put in your organic potting soil, and use tomatoe cages and use that for the cucumber plants as well. You can grow your own parsley and when it is ready you can dry the parsley in a container in the sun, and all you have to do is pinch them and you have your own dried parsley. Roma tomatoes are the easiest to grow and they are prolific. I always plant them. You can build your own greenhouse with PVC pipes and Clear plastic sheets. To start your garden and to extend your garden. Start saving your own seeds. For in the future, the gov may not let you GARDEN with normal regular seeds, it will be AGAINST THE BLOODY LAW. You know what I am talking about PALADINE. Also jigglepete was telling people about the AERO GROW, that you can grow foods on a kitchen counter. All year around, lettuce, tomatoes, strawberries, and other herbs. They advertise this on tv sometimes. They are expensive about $150 but I think it would be a wise investment.
    purchase "antique" or older variety vegetable seeds from dealers/individuals who handle same. This can be determined in rspect to a source through on line and gardening magazine research. Then, when grpwing these vegetables, allow some to intentionally mature and go to seed. Collect these seeds, carefully wrap them and place in the refrigerator or other cool. dark location, such as a cellar. If storing here, place wrapped seeds in glass jar with screw on lids to avoid infestatioon by insects and eating by rodents.
    One of the reasons for all the Hybrid vegetables being developed now is that they will not produce seeds which are virile. Therefore, you cannot use the seeds produced in these vegetables, if any, to propagate. They are sterile!:rasta:
    Vasudeva