+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Re-Thinking Eight Glasses of H2O

What do YOU think?

Posted by Su Avasthi on April 6, 2008 - 6:40pm.

Have you heard the latest dispatch from the Department of Contradictory Health Recommendations?

Seems that experts are no longer sure that we need eight glasses of water each day.

For decades, we've been told that people need eight glasses of H2O per day to maximize the health benefits. Among other things, drinking all that water was thought to clear toxins, keep our organs healthy, reduce appetite and improve our skin tone.

As anyone who's tried to take in the daily requirement knows, it's actually pretty tough to drink 64 ounces of water each day. It involves repeated trips to the loo and a strange sensation of sloshing around when you walk.

Still, I dutifully fill up my 32 oz. water bottle twice each day (although, some of it does wind up getting poured into my houseplants on a regular basis.) I've done my best to follow the recommendation because I want healthy-looking skin, among other benefits.

But according to a new scientific review published in the Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, some researchers believe that the average person really doesn't need to drink 64 oz. of water on a regular basis.

In fact, they claim it's an urban myth with no real science to back it up. Their research is aimed at debunking these other myths about drinking water. For instance, they claim that a belly full of water does nothing to suppress the appetite. It moves through our systems so quickly, they say, that we never get a chance to feel full.

Some other "myths" that people believe about drinking a lot of water each day are that it does not flush out our systems or relieve headaches. Indeed, getting in 64 oz. of water each day may not even have an impact on our skin.

The researchers do make exceptions for those of us who live in hot, dry climates and exercise regularly. And the good news is that, except in rare cases, drinking too much water can't harm us, especially as we approach the summer months.

One clear upshot is that perhaps this means fewer plastic water bottles will end up in our landfills.

Stay tuned. Next week, I'm sure we'll learn that people should stop eating a daily total of five fruits and vegetables. Or something.

Re: Re-Thinking Eight Glasses of H2O

Quote Originally Posted by SunniOne View Post
    What do YOU think?

Posted by Su Avasthi on April 6, 2008 - 6:40pm.

Have you heard the latest dispatch from the Department of Contradictory Health Recommendations?

Seems that experts are no longer sure that we need eight glasses of water each day.

For decades, we've been told that people need eight glasses of H2O per day to maximize the health benefits. Among other things, drinking all that water was thought to clear toxins, keep our organs healthy, reduce appetite and improve our skin tone.

As anyone who's tried to take in the daily requirement knows, it's actually pretty tough to drink 64 ounces of water each day. It involves repeated trips to the loo and a strange sensation of sloshing around when you walk.

Still, I dutifully fill up my 32 oz. water bottle twice each day (although, some of it does wind up getting poured into my houseplants on a regular basis.) I've done my best to follow the recommendation because I want healthy-looking skin, among other benefits.

But according to a new scientific review published in the Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, some researchers believe that the average person really doesn't need to drink 64 oz. of water on a regular basis.

In fact, they claim it's an urban myth with no real science to back it up. Their research is aimed at debunking these other myths about drinking water. For instance, they claim that a belly full of water does nothing to suppress the appetite. It moves through our systems so quickly, they say, that we never get a chance to feel full.

Some other "myths" that people believe about drinking a lot of water each day are that it does not flush out our systems or relieve headaches. Indeed, getting in 64 oz. of water each day may not even have an impact on our skin.

The researchers do make exceptions for those of us who live in hot, dry climates and exercise regularly. And the good news is that, except in rare cases, drinking too much water can't harm us, especially as we approach the summer months.

One clear upshot is that perhaps this means fewer plastic water bottles will end up in our landfills.

Stay tuned. Next week, I'm sure we'll learn that people should stop eating a daily total of five fruits and vegetables. Or something.
    You have to take everything with a grain of salt...because next week the newest health idea could be old news. I could never get 64oz down in a day but I do drink plenty of tea which can be counted toward the total.
    I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck. ~Emma Goldman

I try to strive for that 8 glasses of distilled water per day, I actually get up to 6 glasses of distilled water per day. If you want to poison yourself, keep drinking from the tap water, actually you are it the tap water is full of toxic chemicals and more so in different parts of the states. ACTUALLY going to the toielt is good, you are flushing out lots of junks from your body and we actually need this 8 glasses of water per day, it will alleviate many problems that you have, you can subsitute it with fruit juices also. PEOPLE are not aware of this but they are dehydrating themselves from not drinking enough water. HELLO, anyone out there having problems with being CONSTIPATED or are you SITTIN on the TOILET TOO LONG.... the remedy is you are DEHYRATED, you need to be consuming more LIQUIDS. So Next time I will give you more information of the importance of being well hydrated. I see the above person is not well educated on the importance of FLUIDS. Some writers have written to do an intake of water/liquids as per your weight. Later gators

Re: Drink More water to keep your body working pro

Drink more water to keep your body working properly. Drink more water ( distilled is the best) when a person does not have enough water in their system, you become dehydrated, when this happens your kidneys can not process and eliminate toxins effectively that means your body CAN NOT function optimally and will start to feel drained. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Don't rely on caffeine, one cup of coffee is good more than one cup can dehydrate you , and the results is it zaps your energy.

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work... User Rank

I cannot ever seem to suceed in satisfying the goal of "eight glasses of water in one day. I actually have a problem in actually drinking any, once I get into the day. I do try and remain mindful of staying hydrated, which is important to proper health. But I think eight glasses at average of 12 ounces/glass is a bit much. I have observed that if one really likes to cramp up late at night then drink carbonated beverages. Seems the CO2 goes into the muscle tissue cells and is not readily removed, due to excess. THe solution when cramps set in is to drink perhaps eight ounces of water. It seems to work in about two, three minutes to relieve cramps. Besides, it is exceptional that I drink these beverages. I do not do so on a habitual basis.
    Vasudeva

Look at one cup that equals to 8 oz. I was reading about people who have dry mouth, theysay some people over 60, have a tendency to start to get dry mouth. The doctor told in the book that they should have a plastic bottle and sip throughout the day, and that they should consume because of their dry mouth, 12 glasses of water, it should be distilled so you are not poisoning yourself with the toxic fluoride and the other chemicals. That is only 96 oz. Yes, tea is another form of powerful liquids by adding extra nutrients to your body. Bon Appetite!

Quote Originally Posted by peregrine View Post
    You have to take everything with a grain of salt...because next week the newest health idea could be old news. I could never get 64oz down in a day but I do drink plenty of tea which can be counted toward the total.
    Yes, taking everything with a grain of salt is the best thing. A lot of these people seem to make it up as they go along.

For years they said taking vitamins was good for us, now taking certain types causes cancer etc (so they say).

As far as tea is concerned, I think it depends if it contains caffeine or not. Anything with caffeine gives me major insomnia.:freak3:

Although I love tea, I try not to drink it if I need to sleep or I choose the ones that are caffeine free if I want to have a good night's sleep.
    Karma is a Biatch! :yelcutelaughA:

Con artists revealed as the criminals they are! freakB:

The IGNORE feature is the best answer for a FOOL!

There are many teas out in the markets without caffeine in them. I can not drink teas with caffeine, it races my heart. Vitamins, what vitamins give cancers? None that I KNOW about. yOU HAVE CONFUSED YOURSELF, if a person who is a smoker and that person TAKES Beta Carotene I think that is the one you are talking about, that form will give the person CANCER in the throat that only PERTAINS to people that SMOKE. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ There are two types of Vitamins out there First, coal tar synthetic vitamins, these are made from coal tar and that is POISON so they do not do a thing but poison the body, YES these wil cause cancer. CHEAP & a SCAM. 2nd. Natural food derived vitamins and minerals, all theyare are LIKE SPARK PLUGS TO THE BODY. THEY are beneficial to us, without them we would suffer greatly. I need batteries.

I can see, none of you know anything as to how important it is to be striving to drink close to 8 glasses of water per day. And this is not a FAD, it is the true facts. And we all need our VITAMINS, people who are depressed are lacking vitamins their B Complex. Did you know if we went without NIACIN for one full year, we would be all SKIZZOS. People also need to be taking their OMEGA-3's FLAXSEED OIL IS THE BEST. This helps people who are depressed, their body's are totally lacking in VITAMINS. And Flaxseed helps you to lose weight naturally, it resets your metabolism. NO VITAMINS CAUSE CANCERS, ONLY the COAL TAR SYNTHEITC CHEMICAL ones do and that one for people who SMOKE they should never take it. SHOW ME BAILEY what vitamins are suppose to cause cancer??

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy View Post
    I can see, none of you know anything as to how important it is to be striving to drink close to 8 glasses of water per day. And this is not a FAD, it is the true facts. And we all need our VITAMINS, people who are depressed are lacking vitamins their B Complex. Did you know if we went without NIACIN for one full year, we would be all SKIZZOS. People also need to be taking their OMEGA-3's FLAXSEED OIL IS THE BEST. This helps people who are depressed, their body's are totally lacking in VITAMINS. And Flaxseed helps you to lose weight naturally, it resets your metabolism. NO VITAMINS CAUSE CANCERS, ONLY the COAL TAR SYNTHEITC CHEMICAL ones do and that one for people who SMOKE they should never take it. SHOW ME BAILEY what vitamins are suppose to cause cancer??

Hello Galaxy,

Actually, I was reading about the vitamins thing last week. The new contradiction is that vitamins cause cancer.

Now, I'm not the one who said this, this is apparently new research claims.

Personally, I still take my vitamins.

Also, as far as drinking 8 glasses of water, I still drink as much as I can on a daily basis.

How have I confused myself?

Actually, I'm not bragging but I read widely about health and a whole host of other things, I am far from confused.

The problem with chatting to people on forums is that a lot of the time what you are trying to say can be misunderstood.

Galaxy, I suggest you go back and read what I originally typed up above. Sometimes reading something more than once helps with assimilation.
    Karma is a Biatch! :yelcutelaughA:

Con artists revealed as the criminals they are! freakB:

The IGNORE feature is the best answer for a FOOL!

You know what, Bailey. You are going to read all types of negative stories about vitamins and minerals. This is because, they want to TRICK the people not to take vitamins and supplements anymore. Trying to lie and say this and that, you get the picture. I think it all involves the BIG GUYS who want to get rid of vitamins and supplements altogether. And for liquids, we get liquids from fruits count that as getting your water as fruits their liquids are distilled, and teas as well and milk. Are you from UK? Do they use growth hormones in the cow there, here in the USA they do. MONSANTO's clever idea, it was the whole purpose for making the cows produce MORE MILK. But there has never been a shortage of milk. It poisons the cows and makes them sick. People are drinking the growth hormones as well. I will not drink that milk. I buy organic, organic one gallon of milk is $5.69 compared to the growth hormone milk it is about $2.69.

Test your water and drink safe water. Get your water tested. Call your Public health dept for details, or you can visit this website www.aquamd.com ================================= The best way to purify water is distillation this when boiled teh water turns into steam to kill organisma and also remove impurities. Distilled water is the best water to drink and keeps you more healthy. This is the only type of water that meets the definition of water; hydrogen + oxygen. Distilled water is perfectly natural, odorless, colorless and tasteless. it is free of virtually all inorganic minerals including salt. The type of water that can be taken nto the body without damage to the tissues. Distilled water acts as a solvent in the body by dissolving nutrients so they can be assimilated and taken into every cell. This type of water dissolves the cell wastes so the toxins can be removed. and dissolving inorganic mineral substances lodged in the tissue of the body so that substance can be eliminated in the process of purifying the body. Distilled water is the best water for humans and animalsl and pets. Distilled water, leaves no residue of any kind when it enters the body, it is the most perfect water for the healthy functioning of the great sieves, the kidneys, it is the perfect liquid for the blood. It is ideal for the whole body. IT is the only pure water left on our polluted planet. OUR bodies can only endure so mch severe punishment and still survive. Start now by drinking distilled water.

Finally, Physical Proof that Distilled Water is Inferior

Dr. Masaru Emoto, a visionary researcher from Japan received certification from the Open International University as a Doctor of Alternative Medicine. Subsequently he was introduced to the concept of micro cluster water in the US and Magnetic Resonance Analysis technology. The quest thus began to discover the mystery of water.

He undertook extensive research of water around the planet not so much as a scientific researcher but more from the perspective of an original thinker. At length he realized that it was in the frozen crystal form that water showed us its true nature.

I don't know how to post pictures: go to this link to see crystals of Distilled Water and Water from a pure source: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...led-water.aspx

Dr Emoto began by studying the crystallization process of water It all started in 1994 when he took samples of water from various sources, froze a few droplets, examined them under a dark field microscope and photographed them. He photographed the crystal formations produced by water as it passes from liquid into freezing state.

It is like taking a snapshot of the water at that moment in time. He quickly realized that the crystals that formed from water depended highly on the natural health of the water. In other words, water from natural springs, healing water sources etc, formed beautiful and complex crystalline geometries - like snowflakes.

Water that had been distilled, polluted or passed through consumption had lost its inner order. This leads to the realization that natural healthy water carries an 'inner order' defining its nature and properties.
    .................................................. .................................................. ........................................

Dr. Mercola's Comments:

In April I attended the SkaSys lecture by Dr. Hans Lechner. This amazing technology allows one to successfully harness consciousness as a diagnostic and therapeutic tool.

Dr. Lechner shared detailed of his recent meeting with Dr. Emoto and it became clear that this technology could clearly demonstrate the danger of distilled water at a clear and easily seen level.

Although it is controversial I am firmly convinced that distilled water is harmful to your health.

One of the major foundational reasons is that distilled water is highly acidic. Most of us are far too acidic already and the last thing we need to be drinking is a fluid that will make us even more acidic.

Distilled water is alleged to be beneficial due to its lack of contaminants. Well, many of the devices that distill water are made of metal and will actually add certain toxic metals like nickel back to the water, which actually worsens health.

Since distilled water is like a vacuum without any minerals, it will actually leach beneficial minerals from your body to balance it out. While this maybe beneficial for a short period during some sort of detoxification regimen, this is usually highly counter productive in the long run.

Then there is the physics of the water. Water is structured and when it is distilled the structure becomes profoundly disturbed as you can see by the pictures above.

It is possible to restructure the water by putting it in a clear glass container, adding a few minerals and leaving it out in the sunshine for a day. This will help to restore the normal beneficial structure that water should have to promote health.

Go and read THe ABC's of plastic bottles " on of the articles I put out. I talk about how the minerals that are in tap water or bad for you, That we should be consuming organic minerals.OK FOLKS< LISTEN UP, If we could get a full view of the largest organ in the body, the liver, we would see how it STRUGGLES to handle alcohol, coffee, caffeineated teas, soft drinks and other unhealthy liquids. WE WOULD SEE the DISASTROUS effects of the Dangerous INORGANIC CHEMICALS that are added to our drinking water by man. Also nature can do more harm than man by contamininating water with INORGANIC minerals such as calcium, magnesium, and potassium carbonates and many other substances. If you look closely you would be able to see the liver is HARDENING INTO STONE. Now thousands of people are dying from and have died from a disease known as cirrhois of the live= fibrosis, which is a Hardening caused by an excessive formation of connective tissue, y cn of the liver. Now both hard water's the inorganic minerals found in the water you drink from the tap water and people who are drinking lots of alcohol, this consumption hardens the liver. Calcium carbonate or lime is a very important ingredient in making cement or concrete. This agent is for the hardening of the concrete. BUT when you take this product the calcium carbonate into your body many vitamins are made this way with the carbonate, through the years this MINERAL become the principal TROUBLE MAKER, it is responsible for what is called HARDENING OF THE ARTERIES. Doctors call this DEGENERATIVE arterial condition " ARTERIOSCLEROSIS Now there are new techiques have been developed how many years old is this, i do not know, but this the remedy for some to implant plastic arteries in place of the clogged arteries and veins of the heart and neck. They can clean out the arteries. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++ The BODY does need minerals but it's not necessary that they come from water. DID YOU ALL READ THAT. THERE IS NOT ONE MINERAL IN ALL THE WATERS WHICH CANNOT BE FOUND MORE ABUNDANTLY IN FOOD. Water the MOST UNRELIABLE source of minerals because varies from one area to the other. THE FOODS THAT WE EAT is where the ORGANIC MINERALS COME FROM, we must eat FOODS not the water from the tap that is full of INORGANIC MINERALS that out bodies simply can not utlize. FOR THEY cause HARDENING OF THE ARTERIES. DISTILLED water, is chemical and mineral free. DISTILLATION removeds all the chemical and impurities. DID you know that the people in the NAVY have been drinking distilled water. The people in the caribeen islands NETHERLANDS ANTILLES have been distilling the water from the SEA for over 34 years. Aruba, Curacao and Bonaire. Other islands are doing this also. I have read that they say distilled water is acidic but that is all I have been drinking for years. It is not proving to be acidic for me. So I would say, they are not telling you the truth. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ But year after year of ingesting INORGANIC mineral water and toxic foods will slowly build these rock formation in your brain and through your body. Years of drinking chemicalized drinking water, the inorganic mineral water from your tap and years of eating a highly unbalanced diet heavy in salt has created a very poor conditon to your body masses of toxic and acid crystals. These crystals harden the arteries and the veins and capillaries that must supply the brain with the needed blood for full brain power. Inorganic mineralized water truly is the universal drink of disease and premature death. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Every time a person tunrs on the water tap and drinks water that has been TREATED and CHEMICALIZED with FLUORIDE, CHLORINE, and other toxins or is SATURATED with Calcium Carbonate and other inorganic minerals he or she and their pets are JEOPARDIZING THEIR HEALTH< and mind and their LIFE. I use to subscribe to Dr. M, but i did other research and lots of things he says is stupid. Who needs to listen to stupid things that are not true.

Drink Eight Bottles of beer a day. It is great for you. You can live off beer. Just don't get drunk. I have found thaat after a big night on the piss, i can go out the next day for adventure walks without a crumb of food in my system. Normally without food, i will collapse very early in the day. But if the beer is still in my system, i can go non stop. It's also a good energy booster for sex. Beer is my hero, i love you my beer. I might just have a beer right now :spin2:

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

It just proves the "experts" don't know shit about the human anatomy.

They think it's OK to drug our kids with Ritalin like products, believe in ADD and ADHD, and think removing soda pop out of schools will keep kids from getting fat.

Your body needs water. Dehydration is the root cause of many physical problems including not sleeping well, foggy thinking, stress, depression, high blood pressure, allergies and asthma, as well as many kidney related problems.

Drink the water. Ignore the so called "experts". Reverse Osmosis is the purest kind you can drink and tastes the best. 64 oz over over 8-12 hour day shouldn't be a hardship or hard to do.

Lady Mod

Last edited by sojustask; 05-04-2008 at 06:53 AM.