Who controls the present now?

Now testify
    Testify
    It's right outside your door
    Now testify
    Testify
    The war is right outside your door

Original.

The song Testify was written out of the band's anger. The song is about how the government is selfish and careless. The verses "Mass graves for the pump and the price is set..." refer to how they sacrifice our soldiers, and send them into Iraq to get oil, even if it means war. It is saying how Americans are so greedy and suicidal. The verse "I'm empty, please fill me.." is quoting that you burned the gasoline, and you want more. "I'm choking in the smoke that fills my home..." is referring to the diesel that trillions of cars our burning, and this is causing deadly pollution.

This song is very political and true. RATM really is very open eyed to the world. If we don't start taking action... a very bad ending will surely happen.

This song is about misrepresentation of world events by the US media. News anchors relay lies into the homes of Americans because that's all the Americans, being empty people whose only concerns are the media's showcase of glamour and gossip, can handle. The only way for people to survive is through the opiates that they partake of every day in the form of celebrities and media. It uses the party slogan for the Oceania government in the book 1984: "Who controls the past, controls the future. Who controls the present, controls the past."
    Some lyrical analysis:

"We found your weakness and it's right outside your door, now testify" - In the first part, Zack is trying to be coy about saying what he thinks the government's weakness really is. So think about it this way, what's right outside your door? The world and all the people in it. And if all those people would come together, what powerful tool of revolution we would be?
    "Mass graves for the pump and the price is set" - For the mass graves part, Zack is referring to oil. In the middle eastern countries, the battle is for oil, and how that's the real cause for America's involvement over there. We want our oil supply safe, so we try to be a mediator and police officer for those countries. Mass graves? People in war die. That's what it's all about - so basically, there's all this fighting that we participate in to secure oil. You "pump" gas, and the price constantly goes up and down with middle eastern crises.
    "Who controls the past now controls the future
    Who controls the present now controls the past
    Who controls the past now controls the future
    Who controls the present now?" - In the last part, Zack is saying that whoever is in charge now, is still, has been, and always will be, in charge. Then he asks who's controlling everything now. Almost asking if we really want it this way, or if we're going to do something to change it.

I know the newspaper makes since and all but the last line of the song is " the war is right outside your door"

The concept behind the video is that George W. Bush and Al Gore are one in the same. It starts out with aliens attempting to conquer the planet by sending a mutant that is a cross between the two presidential candidates to earth. The politically satirical hilarity ensues!

i love this song and RATM. They are not corporate sell-outs like other bands are. They actually would like to accomplish something. This song really breaks it down, and tells us that everything in the media is just lies. America's new broadcasters have been rated 30th in the world because of how biased and uninformative our news is. They tell us what we want to hear rather than what is really happening in other places.

yup George Orwell, from the book "1984" which was written in 1948

"Who controls the past now controls the future Who controls the present now controls the past Who controls the past now controls the future Who controls the present now" This is from a George Orwell quote. Google it.
    The internet is the last light of truth and hope...it is truly of the people, by the people and for the people. We must not let it be subverted for any purpose other than the truth. And that truth shall spread to every man woman and child across the globe. No longer will those in power carry the sole means to decide for us, yet we now shall have the power to decide to tune them out.

Re: Testify

The puppets, and you said, that George W. Bush and Al Gore are the same, that is just the tip of the ICE BERG... all the candidates that are running for President, all think the WXACT same way. And we all HAVE TO REMEMBER... they the Presidents they the candidates are ACTORS, they are ALL working for the Global Elites, the Bildernbergs who want to BRING is the DEATHLY NEw World Order. They are the ones that INSTIGATE THE WARS, they have their SLAVES doing the DIRTY WORK for them. They are paying the Presidents only $400,000 a year to do their " dirty deeds". The rich powerful Global Elites they run the world.... but their SLAVES do the dirty work.

Great post Galaxy ;)

the tip of the ICE BERG..
    you got dat right!
    yeah the difference just so happens to be close to nill...they are both fu.cked up power hungry puppets

RATM were smart enough to tell everyone that Bush is a fuktard when 90% of the public was cowering in fear and kissing his ass. History has proved them right.

both parties lead to utter destruction and hate for one another in your own country.

this is song IS our anwer
    NOW TESTIFY!

:sun_smiley: love and light

george bush= the deaths of millions
    al gore+global warming= BS!!

together they =shit

RATM= the best freakin band ever:music:
    Paladine =:
    Galaxy =:smurf:
    Sharky =:
    Soulbro =:spidey:

together we = god's :angel:

RATM Testify ('08 Election) Video

The puppets - one on the left and one on the right is controlled by the one puppetmaster.

the enemy isnt contained in a party - the enemy is power itself. no one has ever voted away their oppressors - its time to discover the spray can, the brick , the demonstration, as the path to disobedience

who gives a fu.ck who won or lost,they're all the same shi.t,in the end all we are voting for is corruption and corporations, the corporations that fund and control political parties all of which have something to gain and have money to make off of these politicians.Democracy in the countrys is a myth,an illusion, we have no real choices when it comes to electing our leaders, sh.it there's more variety at a fu.cken buffet than in our goverments!

it is estimated that nearly [some big number that i forget] of the US population will not vote due to lack of real choice in the ballot ....

its all bulls.hit. great song great meaning behind it

our votes dont count, its all orchestrated by the few

the Roman empire was beleived by the population at the tome to be democratic, when it wasnt

know your history

The 200 richest people in America owns more than 60% of the world's wealth, whilst more than %40 of Americans have no access to healthcare. If you are a patriot, then you will love your country, and look to their wellbeing as a friend would to another. Either you are patriotic and love the people of your country, in which case you should fight the neo-cons in power, or you do not love your country because you don't look to their wellbeing, and thus are not patriotic, or a patriot.
    It lies with your own people to overcome the nihilism inspired by the media and modern-day convenience culture.

they made this video before everything bush did...

REVOLUTION.

the real terriorist is in the white house.

America is NOT the land of the free

better yet in the words of zach "the land of the free? whoever told you that is your enemy" from the know your enemy song
    The internet is the last light of truth and hope...it is truly of the people, by the people and for the people. We must not let it be subverted for any purpose other than the truth. And that truth shall spread to every man woman and child across the globe. No longer will those in power carry the sole means to decide for us, yet we now shall have the power to decide to tune them out.

support your local mass murders and thieves... VOTE!!!!lol

wow, its 2008 and this message still applies to modern politics... someone fused mccain and hillaries face together

This video predicted how bad your country would become with either candidate. They were right... gas prices, rich white men feeding off the poor (no surprise there) and of course a lack of candidates... Or the candidates are basically the same.. Just like Hilary and Obama... very similar candidates

RAGEAGAINSTTHEAMCHINE

THEY APPEAR AS MANY LEARN TO SPEAK AS ONE

ONE VOICE

Yeap your right! All the candidates all think the same, rememba they all have been PROGRAMMED by the MASTER DECEIVERS... the powerful ELITES. Machines are RIGGED, they know they are RIGGED that is the Government knows they are RIGGED, they write about how RIGGED they are here ONLINE... yet... Not a thing is done about it, NOTHING!!!!!!! NO ONE IS COMPLAINING about it, that I know.... have not seen anyone screaming how UNFAIR this is.... NO paper trails, to prove they are rigged, that is JUSTICE for you in the GOOD OLD DYING USA. ************************************************** I wonder where people get this notion that AMERICA IS THE RICHEST NATION IN THE WORLD. I have been hearing that by people on the TV. What are they NUTS? RICHEST? Where have they been? In a cave? RICHEST? We are the POOREST NATION IN THE WORLD!!!!! FOR YEARS. and we are the LAND OF THE FREE????? FREE WHAT? We are being spied on CONSTANTLY!!!! FOR WHAT? I remember Bush said on one of his STUPID IDIOTIC SPEECHES, that your neighbor might be a " terrorist".... * That fool knows he is the TERRORIST. His regime, and they did the 9/11 and the Pentagon and Oklahoma and back in 1993, One iof the world's trade center. WE AINT STUPID BUSH LIKE YOU ARE!!! That wack job I remember him this past summer speaking to Cadet and saying to them that Iraq bombed the world trade centers. ( HE IS SO OUT OF TOUCH... he knew IRAQ had nothing to do with 9/11) So it proves to you, he DOes not know what is going on in the world or what country is this or that. ) You said it all PALADINE.... Freedom none, not even in the voting machines it has been like this forever, all rigged up... keep up the good articles! Bravo.....