+ Reply to Thread

Saxbys Coffee Worldwide/Saxbys Coffee/Proven Recor

This is one of those Starbuck alternatives. It is not a scam in the traditional sense in that it does have a legitimate product menu etc. Its how the managers and people who ran this company namely John Larson and Nick Bayer operated that it became a scam.
    The scam starts in the fact these clowns dont disclose all required info in their UFOC. There is a list of states banning them from selling franchises right now including CA and VA due to this. For quite sometime they issued false fiancials in the ufoc till they were trying to go public and were told by a advisor that no one would go near then unless they were using legit info. They currently have shareholder lawsuits in Chicago, Colorado with more to come. This started as a Las Vegas company then went to Chicago then Atlanta and now Philly. They claim to be the fastest growing coffee company going but more and more stores keep closing. You could count on 1 hand number of stores actually making any money? They are now focusing on corporate stores under new ownership. If the IRS looked carefully they should wonder where all the area developer money went? Was it ever declared? How about all the money the corporate run store in Atlanta under the watch of Nicks pathetic family owes Scottish Roasters?

The latest sale to a Philly real estate group was a firesale at best done out of necessity to protect Larson and Bayer from becoming personally liable to charges. After all intentional and blatant sales for illegal franchises cant be covered by the corporate veil. Also franchisees will get hidden charges the lastest being 3k for a public relations company that you never hear from before you open. Over time this companies leaders would give out shares including certifiacates to people then tell them when the company reformed they no longer had shares.. The new ownership group while deep pocketed and successful in past business ventures finds themselves in a quaqmire. Until they fire Bayer they will face more and more lawsuits. He reprensents the failure of Saxbys in the past! They might be afraid to do this though necessary out of fear that Bayer will expose what they new before deal went down holding them responsible. Now even Larson has sued company as well. However if he ever got the right number for a payoff he would would bolt as well. John Larson is no innocent victim here.

Some people spent hundreds of thousands of $$ to be area developers w/ this company and they cant even sell stores. Disagree with ownership and Bayer may cancel equipment on you as your store is trying to open. Out here in the west coast when stores close down new ownership blaims it on Larson even though Bayer was president who signs off on leases. Area Developers now have to weigh do I go after corporate while Im still depending on them for store support ? Do I risk putting new people in the business knowing what i do? Either way ill probably end up in court! Innocent and ethical people have been put in positions that are totally unfair!

Do not give any money to this company! Check with CA and VA sec's . ASK NICK BAYER DIRECTLY IF HE EVER SOLD ANY ILLEGAL FRANCHISES WHILE PRESIDENT!!! Have him put it in writing.. When he wont you will know the truth... The "handsome bastard" as some call him will put on a good show but ask yourself did he really awnser any questions or merely double talk? He will trump his cornell degree but wont mention he even owes $$$ to fraternity brothers and their family. Bayer loves to say sale of company was necessary but fails to admit that his leadership was one of the main reasons it was in such a troubled state. Many employees werent paid for travel expenses. It goes on and on. Dont get trapped stay away from Saxbys coffe and any new name it bacomes in the near future!!!

Then again if Joe Grasso and new ownership ever fired Bayer Saxbys might have a shot at finally fulfilling the potential Bayer and Larson could not deliver.
    Last edited by mclayton56; 03-04-2008 at 03:30 PM. Reason: typo

Re: Saxbys Coffee Worldwide/Saxbys Coffee/Proven R

Sorry not sure how to edit so I had to repost. Mods feel free to delete first post if you want it was filled with typos.

This is one of those Starbuck alternatives. It is not a scam in the traditional sense in that it does have a legitimate product, menu, etc. Its how the managers and people who ran this company, namely John Larson and Nick Bayer operated that it became a scam.
    The scam starts in the fact these company officers don't disclose all required info in their UFOC. There is a list of states banning them from selling franchises right now, including CA and VA due to this. For quite sometime they issued false financials in the ufoc till they were trying to go public and were told by an advisor that no one would go near them unless they were using legit info. They currently have shareholder lawsuits in Chicago and Colorado with more to come. This started as a Las Vegas company, then went to Chicago, then Atlanta and now Philly. They claim to be the fastest growing coffee company, but more and more stores keep closing. California, Texas, New York, Colorado, Illinois, and Georgia have all seen stores close in the past year. You could very likely count on one hand the number of stores actually making any money. They are now focusing on corporate stores under new ownership. If the IRS looked carefully they should wonder where all the area developer money went under the old regime? Was it ever declared? How about all the money the corporate run store in Atlanta under the watch of Nicks inept family owes Scottish Roasters?

The latest sale to a Philly real estate group was a fire sale at best, done out of necessity to protect Larson and Bayer from becoming personally liable to charges. After all intentional and blatant sales of illegal franchises cant be covered by the corporate veil. You can only use the excuse you have bad lawyers so many times. Also franchisees will get hidden charges from time to time. The latest being a couple thousand for a public relations company that you will never hear from before you open. Yet this company in which you speak to no one until after you recieve the invoice is working very hard at building community relationships on your behalf. Also do not expect to recieve any breakdown or explanation from Saxbys over how they arrive at your royalties figure as an area developer. Over time this companies leaders would give out shares including stock certificates to people then tell them when the company reformed they no longer had shares. The new ownership group while deep pocketed and successful in past business ventures finds themselves in a quagmire. Until they fire Bayer they will face more and more lawsuits. He represents the failure of Saxbys in the past! They might be afraid to do this, though necessary out of fear that Bayer will expose what they new before the deal went down holding them responsible for the previous regimes actions. Now even Larson has sued the new company as well. However if he ever got the right number for a payoff he would bolt as well. John Larson is no innocent victim here.

Some people spent hundreds of thousands of $$$ to be area developers with this company and they cant even sell stores. Disagree with ownership and Bayer may cancel equipment on you as your store is trying to open. It wouldn't be the first time! Out here in the west coast when stores close down new ownership blames it on Larson even though Bayer was the president who signed off on leases. Area Developers now have to weigh do I go after corporate while I'm still depending on them for store support ? Do I risk putting new people in the business knowing what I do? Either way I'll probably end up in court! Innocent and ethical people have been put in positions that are totally unfair!

Do not give any money to this company! Check with CA and VA SEC's . ASK NICK BAYER DIRECTLY IF HE EVER SOLD ANY ILLEGAL FRANCHISES WHILE PRESIDENT!!! Have him put his reply in writing. When he wont you will know the truth. The "handsome bastard" as some call him will put on a good show, but ask yourself did he really answer any questions or merely double talk? He will trump his cornell degree but wont mention he even owes $$$ to fraternity brothers and their family. Bayer loves to say the sale of company was necessary but fails to admit that his leadership was one of the main reasons it was in such a troubled state. BTW see if he will own up to what his salary was while this start up was struggling to gain traction. See if he will let you know how much back pay he recieved for seeing the sale to new ownership through. Many employees weren't paid for travel expenses. Others had to get state employment offices involved before they were reimbursed. It goes on and on. Dont get trapped! Stay away from Saxby's coffee and any new name it becomes in the near future!!!

Then again if Joe Grasso and new ownership ever fired Bayer Saxby's might have a shot at finally fulfilling the potential Bayer and Larson could not deliver. If it actually focused on profitable stores instead of get rich quick schemes. Perhaps bring in a leader who has experience in the franchise industry? Joe Grasso has a proven track record and sound business mind and despite the shady way he obtained the company that can't be denied. For the good of the employees, franchisees, area developers, and shareholders rid Saxbys of the Bayers and Larson once and for all Mr. Grasso. Give them and offer they can't refuse.

Last edited by mclayton56; 03-04-2008 at 08:31 PM.

Re: Saxbys Coffee Worldwide/Saxbys Coffee/Proven R

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']MClayton, I am responding to this because you are very wrong on your information in regards to me, John Larson. First, I am the founder of Saxbys Coffee. I founded Saxbys Coffee in early 2004 when I was the CEO of Proven Record, Inc. During that time all taxes were paid and most bills were paid. Some bills were ignored (very few) do to the simple fact of running out of money. During my reign I invested over $420,000 of my own money and even sold my shares in hotels and real estate because I believed in Saxbys Coffee. Nobody invested more than I did. Nick Bayer did not invest one single dollar. John Larson $420,000 versus Nick Bayer $0. That alone speaks volumes. How did Nick Bayer even get his 6,000,000 shares? Because he promised to work his ass off for me and his Uncle (Greg Bayer). Greg Bayer is my partner in Proven record and Saxbys Coffee, Inc and my friend of over 32 years. This of course was the reason I trusted Nick Bayer, I mean what nephew is going to screw his Uncle over? I will respond to the rest of this below in the same order which you posted it. In the end I have ALL the proof of the facts I lay out. I also make this challenge to anyone who doubts my facts: I will meet in a public forum and answer all questions and present PROOF of everything I state right there on the spot. I would simply need a projector that connects to my computer and a projector for the hard papers not electronically installed in my computer. You could have anyone there including Nick Bayer, Joe Grasso, Kevin Meakim, the AD’s, franchisees, FBI, etc. ANYONE! I can say that because as John Adams said “facts are stubborn things”. You can’t explain away the facts, they are what they are. So before another wrong thread is written please take me up on my offer. I will fly anywhere this meeting is hosted (I am imagining you live in DC).

1. Disclosure: Three franchises were sold before we were registered in Illinois and California. It was wrong but we were in the middle of the registration process and felt we may have been approved at any time. I was correct in that we were approved soon after but the franchises were already sold. These three people were given their money back. I personally worked with the State of California when I was trying to take back Saxbys Coffee, Inc., and was derailed by Nick Bayer telling the State that I did not have the authority to act with the State.[/FONT]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'] [/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'] 2. Taxes: [/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']From the very day Saxbys Coffee, Inc. was incorporated until this very day, Nick Bayer was the only person who served as an officer (he was president, Treasurer, and secretary) and the only person who was able to sign checks and see bills. Nick Bayer set this up like this so he would have nobody look over his shoulder. He was and is very sneaky. Nick Bayer is the one who did not pay taxes. While I was in charge of money at Proven Record, Inc. I did make sure taxes were paid even if it meant out of my own pocket.

3.Shareholder Dilution: In the sale/transfer from Proven Record, Inc. to Saxbys Coffee, Inc. every shareholder who had put I real money saw their shares transferred one for one. Nobody was ripped off under my watch. During the transfer/sale from Saxbys Coffee, Inc. to Saxbys Coffee Worldwide LLC almost everyone was ripped off except Nick Bayer, his dad, and his mom. Nick obviously got some money, shares, and a cushy job.[/FONT]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']
    To suggest that Joe Grasso is innocent of fraud is laughable. I personally warned Joe Grasso and Kevin Meakim about what they were doing and the fact that it was illegal. They are very much part of this fraud and should not get a free ride in any lawsuit. Kevin Meakim is Joe Grasso’s boy and works under him as does Bob Carroll. Joe Grasso knew of the illegal and unethical transfer and is just as much to blame as Nick Bayer. [/FONT]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']
    4.Others who were not paid: Who was not paid when I was in charge? Everyone was paid. Nick Bayer is the one who did not pay while in charge of Saxbys Coffee, inc.

5. Franchisee Realtionship and Hidden Costs: Corporate support was NEVER a problem while I was in charge at Proven Record, Inc. If anyone says it was I have proof that I have ALWAYS provided it. Nick Bayer again was the one who had the problem. Store profitability was always a concern of mine and again I have the proof. Opening more stores was one of the solutions. Anyone who knows business understands that more stores means more recognition and higher sales.[/FONT]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']To categorize me in the same “con-man” group as Nick Bayer is irresponsible and slanderous. Name me one person, ONE, who would tell me I conned them and I would be happy to sit down with them and show how they are wrong with PROOF.[/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']As for the settlement which would make me disappear, there was a time that I would agree that I simply wanted to get my money back and I was worried for my own family well being financially. After I received a call from you (if you are who I think you are) I realized that was selfish. Later I received an offer from Joe Grasso himself whereby my response was “not without the other shareholders”.
    You are correct that some Area Developers received sweet deals to join saxbys. Do you think we would be able to charge full price when the company only had 2 or 3 stores? No. These people took a chance on us and we gave them sweet deals to close the deal. Every one of them was capable of being an AD. It was only after Nick Bayer started messing with them that they failed.
    No kickbacks were EVER taken while I was with the company. This was accomplished by nick Bayer and his dad Dave Bayer (greed is good in that part of the family) after I left. I discovered it by a wayward email meant for Nick and forwarded it to a Texas AD who basically stated that there was nothing he could or would do about it.

Conclusion: Nick Bayer, Joe Grasso, and Kevin Meakim were all involved in this fraud and all should be held accountable. Greg Bayer and I have done nothing wrong and remain ready to help anyone who needs us to work with their attorney to prove anything about this transaction.

[/FONT]