+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A grain of sand

A grain of sand

I love nothing more than lying on my back in a field and staring at the stars, and every now and then I stumble across a fact that just blows the mind;

Go outside, find a grain of sand, and hold it arms length towards the sky. Within that tiny patch of sky you've just covered with a grain of sand there are 10,000 galaxies - 1 million billion stars. That's over 100,000 stars for every single person there is on Earth. Light from some of those stars has been travelling for 15 billion years before it reaches us. There are more than 100 billion stars for every year of recorded human history all behind that single grain of sand.

And man has the arrogance to think it's all for him.

Re: A grain of sand

Quote Originally Posted by kazza View Post
    I love nothing more than lying on my back in a field and staring at the stars, and every now and then I stumble across a fact that just blows the mind;

Go outside, find a grain of sand, and hold it arms length towards the sky. Within that tiny patch of sky you've just covered with a grain of sand there are 10,000 galaxies - 1 million billion stars. That's over 100,000 stars for every single person there is on Earth. Light from some of those stars has been travelling for 15 billion years before it reaches us. There are more than 100 billion stars for every year of recorded human history all behind that single grain of sand.

You are right Kazza

Man's arrogance makes him think it is all created just for him.

When in reality, it is all for God's pleasure!

I love doing that too, the front lawn is perfect for 3-4 people to just gaze at the stars in all its marvelous panoramic view

Not to mention that constitute like what? 4% of the total mass of the universe

Its only natural for people to believe of themselves as special, seems foolish now to think that people thought we were in the center of the galaxy, let alone the universe but nonetheless they did and even went so far as to persecute those who thought otherwise

I have to admit, thats a pretty cool observation.

and I'm not arrogant. I share the stars with the aliens:

A few years ago I was living in Florida. We took a direct hit from hurricane Ivan.

There was no power in all of north Florida. It was pitch black outside.

Late that night my daughter and I walked outside.

All at once she yelled "Dad look" and pointed to the sky.

I looked up and saw the most amazing sight.

There were more stars in the sky than I ever thought possible!

The category 5 hurricane had totally cleaned the atmosphere of pollution.

Scanning the sky with child like wonder. It gave me such a sense of wonder and awe.

I thought about how ancient people all over the world had this celestial panorama to view every night.

No wonder people took for granted there had to be a creator.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawud View Post
    A few years ago I was living in Florida. We took a direct hit from hurricane Ivan.

There was no power in all of north Florida. It was pitch black outside.

Late that night my daughter and I walked outside.

All at once she yelled "Dad look" and pointed to the sky.

I looked up and saw the most amazing sight.

There were more stars in the sky than I ever thought possible!

The category 5 hurricane had totally cleaned the atmosphere of pollution.

Scanning the sky with child like wonder. It gave me such a sense of wonder and awe.

I thought about how ancient people all over the world had this celestial panorama to view every night.

No wonder people took for granted there had to be a creator.
    And just think...If you travel no more than 45 minutes west of Worchester, you can again have that experience...either that or any more than 1.5 hours north (Maine, New Hampshire, or Vermont)...same thing...well maybe not quite...but close! :sun_smiley:...Btw there is going to be a total eclipse of the moon in the north east on or about the 20th...should be spectacular...
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

good way to spot ufo's!i swear if a spend anytime at all lookin at the stars is see moving specks of light that behave in non orbital ways!?as far as are we special goes!?remeber this a kis.....eri mean you are UNIQUE,just like everyone else!?HHHMMMMMM.......:argue: : :rasta: :sun_smiley: hehe!!......just askn...
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you