+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home Improvement Grant Scam PLEASE HELP!!!

I am trying to help a friend figure out if a check she recieved in the mail is legitimate. She recieved a letter from Prosperity Trust Inc. stating that she won a grant in the amount of 42,000 dollars enclosed was a check for 4,950 which she was instructed to call the company in order to activate her claim. She was instructed to deposit the check which was for Foreign Access Taxes ( whatever those are) and once the check clears she was told to Western Union a portion to a Name and address in TX. She was told that this was the name of a processor for the company. Once she does this she is to keep the remaining portion and wait for the rest of her money, to be sent by a courrier and given to her upon ID verification. The company who is supposed to be sponsering this "Grant" is Freight Shakers USA Inc. This Grant is supposed to be a home improvement grant that she won by random selection that is sponsored by these major companies such as Home Depot, GAP, StarBucks, WalMart, including Freight Shakers USA Inc. etc...NOW
    she checked with her bank who verified the authenticity of the check itself, the bank it was drawn from as well as Freight Shakers USA they all exist However we cant find any listing for Prosperity Trust Inc. All that's listed on the letter is a Po Box in NY and a number. If she decides to cash the check and keep the money she was told that there would be no penalties and that she would just have to pay the F.A.T. out of pocket when she recieved the rest of the grant money. She does not have the capacity to have her emotions played with by the propspect of money that is really really needed, I know you guys can help us please respond ASAP with any suggestions

Re: Home Improvement Grant Scam PLEASE HELP!!!

THIS IS A SCAM. DO NOTHING AND SEND NO MONEY!!!

The check is bad and will bounce in a week or a month or whatever. The giveway is sending money WU to a third party. When the check bounces your bank will take back its money and YOU could be held criminally liable.

See "overpayment scams" on this forum or google the phrase.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-15-2012 at 03:09 PM.

I also received a letter from this company claiming the same thing. I, too am in a very fragile financial state right now and the thought of something like this would be magnificent. This seems very legit and others will be fooled by this. Is there any way we could turn these items over to the police or this can be investigated?

I just received the same letter in the mail. I proceeded to google freight shakers usa, as well as, Prosperity Trust, Inc. There is a company called Prosperity Partners, Inc. that assists consumers with receiving settlements. I did not see anything about Prosperity Trust, Inc. mentioned on their site at all.

Out of curiosity, I did call the number on the letter (which I found out was a Canada number). I spoke with Bright Palmer who was mentioned on the letter. It almost sounded like I was interrupting his dinner. I immediately asked about the legitimacy of the letter and the check. He stated that he would explain it all to me. He proceeded to read his script which sounded just like the letter. He began telling me that I would need to send a money gram once I cashed the check. I am usually an optimistic person, but I also watch a lot of Dateline. Two red flags for me was his Nigerian accent (no offense to anyone who may read this) and the fact that he wanted me to send a money gram.

When I stopped him to tell him that I was no longer comfortable with the process, he asked me to listen to him explain how the check is legitimate. I told him that I would listen to what he had to say, but I could not guarantee it would change my mind. He then became very irate and began yelling at me. I immediately hung up the phone. I was extremely polite to him and did not give him any reason to react in such a manner.

Thank you to those who posted to the question above. This was the only website I found that confirmed the scam. :i agree:

Ask yourself why do they not just deduct the fees from the check and mail you the difference? Because they are scammers, that's why!

Post this jerks phone number. Maybe we can sign him up for a few internet "offers".

I wanted to let you know that my company Freight Shakers Usa, Inc. is a victim of this scam as well as all of those that received the letters. These people made up checks with our information on it and scanned our check signer's signature on all of them. We have taken hundreds of phone calls and so has our bank. We are asking anyone that received these if possible to fax us the copy of the letter and check. 770-507-9713. Our local law enforcement has the case as well as enforcement at the Federal level, but all they have done is notify western union of the fraud as well as check cashing services. So far there haven't been too many people falling for this scam, but a few have. Some people are even getting upset with us because of the check being a fraud. Please understand we are victims also.

Thanks for the update on this scam. I hope the info to fax the documents to the phone number listed was not a scam as well.
    Remember the old adage...if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.
    thanks again.
    :

yea..uuhh i got one too..PTI Prosperity Trust, Inc. an a check from FREIGHT SHAKERS USA INC. a check for 4950.00 an that i would recieve the balance of 37,050.00 once i completed the followin steps! yea ok...if anyone wants to call these scam jerks..heres their # 1-289-892-3849. ask for Daniel Baldwin or Tracy Williams..why dont the police call them..? i mean why are they gettin away with this!? thats why we wounder why our own country is goin to hell!!!! geeee this is gettin rediculous!!! come on...whats up with our investigators?? Please do ur jobs!
    this is so tired! i am frustrated an tired of gettin these junk mails an scams....

It seems I have fallen victim to this scam. I Have been out of work due to an on the job injury since Nov. 8, and my family and I have had rough times because of it. I recieved this letter and saw an end to my financial worries. I can see now that I was wrong. The bank made the money readily available and I bit hook. line, and sinker for this scam. The bank has placed a hold on my account and I am now in debt more than before. It happens just as described in previous forums. I don't know what to do.?

WE also have been SCAMMED by this also..We put the check into a down payment on a car, That we needed to help transport a handicapped man we take care of who lives with us..and, now...after all the garbage has cleared, have to return the car, loose all the money we also had to put into the deal, too, and out of a car, too!!!This place does not exsist, even though I PERSONALLY verifyed funds on the check...We need someone to step up and help get rid of these scammers, once and for all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Signed, walking now, in California!!

I was also mailed a letter stating that I received a grant. But, the only problem is I just took the check to the bank today and then a friend sent me this web address. I only have one question? What do I do now?

catwoman154.:rotz:

I know someone that got the same thing. She took it to the authorities and was told it was another scam to get money. Burn it!!!!

:frustrated:I got a letter and a check from 'Lifestyles Group, Inc.' From reading all the threads on this site, and having talked with a 'person' listed on the letter, I believe that it is, in fact a scam. I find it comical that these people actually think that I own a house! Let alone would believe someone with an American name like 'Jonathan Edwards' would actually have a thick accent like from India or something! :mad: I mean how dumb do they really think I am? I wish that this WAS the real deal, cause this could change my life! It still could and I could be in jail just for taking the check to the bank.
    BTW the number on the check that is supposed to be for Washington Mutual Bank does not actually go to any Washington Mutual Bank! When I called Washington Mutual Bank, they have NO CLUE as to what is going on! :madgo: I bet the 'remitter' on the check which was listed as Home Depot as NO CLUE either! A real check would have the bank branch address on it anyway!
    Also the red numbers on the upper right hand corner would also match the check number on the bottom left of the check!
    The two people to contact on my letter are 'Jonathan Edwards' and 'Dorothy Foreman' at 1-289-892-2352.
    I also BBB'd the business name and there is no listing whatsoever for them! I wish the check could somehow be cashed so that the people whos name is on the letter, 'Jonathan' or 'Dorothy' or whomever is running the scam would get caught! You know they have the money otherwise they wouldn't be trying to get more of it!:frustrated:

So far there have been two numbers to call in this forum and if you trace the numbers you will find that they are both located in the city of pickering, province-ontario, canada. So if these people are dumb enough to actually use a traceable line then what is stopping authorities or individuals from aprehending them??

Also this is a cell phone and the provider is Fido Solutions

I was also scammed by LIFESTYLES GROUP INC. but I was stupid enough to cash the check now I have all sorts of new problems (lots of anxiety) I cashed it at a check cashing place and it got verified there then 3 days later they called to say it bounced and I have to pay it all back. they are even threatening to have me arrested :(