+ Reply to Thread

Thread: wind energy

wind energy

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01...colate_teapot/

According to the study, only one of the 15 household wind turbines generated enough to power a 75W light bulb. The average daily output was 393.3 Watt hours: an average of 17W.

Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong. User Rank

Re: wind energy

Wow. That is indeed pathetic. I was considering, a year ago, to install a few wind turbines on the roof. The manufacturer claimed they produced 1750 W in a 20 km/h wind. I figured a few of those and I would be printing money.

I never did it. Now I'm a little thankful. It will come. I'm convinced we just need better science making this and it will come.

I was thinking about solar too, but I know we are on the verge of a major breakthough here. The Watt per meter sqared seems like it will be 3x what we can buy today by using new technologies, and the costs will be less than half what we see today per panel due to not needing rare elements.

When I can cover one side of my roof with panels for $10K and never pay for electricity again, I will be so happy!

Yeah, solar energy is progressing at a remarkable rate. Australia used to be leading the field until about 10 years ago when the conservative government cut funding, now most of our experts have moved the states. It wasn't even a huge amount of funding, only a couple of million a year.

Even now, in many parts of the world the payback time for installing solar panels is only 15 years, and the solar panels have a lifetime of 25/30+.

Solar is awesome...I was first introduced to the concept as a child, at an overnight camp...The staff and campers constructed every building on the property...We constructed a solar water heater consisting of a frame made with 2x4's wrapped in industrial stregnth clear plastic. A water line led into it, and it had a tap at the bottom...Washing hands during a full sun day (even overcast for that matter) the water was so hot, we had to be careful we didn't get burned...cost (this was in '78, so adjust for inflation)...about 5 bucks...It still is in use today, with only a few minor repairs...
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

5. 01-08-2008, 10:09 PM

6. 01-08-2008, 10:26 PM

Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong. User Rank

Well.... unfortunately, it will still cost me about $50K USD (almost the same as a canadian dollar now) to set up a system that will make as much energy as I use. Since Canada has such cheap energy, (7 cents per kW/h) it would take a little longer to pay off. Canada also get a lot less sun than other places...

In contrast, California gets way more sun, and hydro was closer to 45 cents. That makes it far more worth while than here.

Still, when I need an array 1/3 the size and the remaining costs half as much then for 10K I could get fully set up. I'll be all over that!