+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter Says He Mistook Cow For Coyote

Thursday, November 22, 2007
    COLFAX TOWNSHIP, Mich. - A man says he shot and killed a neighbor's cow after mistaking it for a coyote.

Authorities and the owner are skeptical.

The undersheriff in northern Michigan's Benzie County says he doesn't see how anyone could confuse a 1,400-pound, pregnant cow with a coyote, which typically weighs 20 to 45 pounds.

And anyway, shooting coyotes is illegal during deer-shooting season. Authorities asked the county prosecutor to bring charges.

The 42-year-old man told authorities he was out to shoot coyotes near his home Saturday when he killed the cow, Undersheriff Rory Heckman said. Heckman said the man then tried to drag the cow home.

"The part of his story he his holding to is he shot at a coyote. I don't know how he hit a several-thousand-pound cow mistaking it for a coyote," Heckman said.

The cow, named Hannah, had wandered away from her farm.

"My husband thought that he should go through some therapy looking at repeated pictures of cows and coyotes, because they look nothing alike," said owner DeAnn Mosher. "It didn't make any sense to me."
    I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck. ~Emma Goldman

Re: Shooter Says He Mistook Cow For Coyote

Quote Originally Posted by peregrine View Post
    Thursday, November 22, 2007
    COLFAX TOWNSHIP, Mich. - A man says he shot and killed a neighbor's cow after mistaking it for a coyote.

Authorities and the owner are skeptical.

The undersheriff in northern Michigan's Benzie County says he doesn't see how anyone could confuse a 1,400-pound, pregnant cow with a coyote, which typically weighs 20 to 45 pounds.

And anyway, shooting coyotes is illegal during deer-shooting season. Authorities asked the county prosecutor to bring charges.

The 42-year-old man told authorities he was out to shoot coyotes near his home Saturday when he killed the cow, Undersheriff Rory Heckman said. Heckman said the man then tried to drag the cow home.

"The part of his story he his holding to is he shot at a coyote. I don't know how he hit a several-thousand-pound cow mistaking it for a coyote," Heckman said.

The cow, named Hannah, had wandered away from her farm.

"My husband thought that he should go through some therapy looking at repeated pictures of cows and coyotes, because they look nothing alike," said owner DeAnn Mosher. "It didn't make any sense to me."
    How in the heck do you mistake a cow for a coyote? I'd of still shot it, but I'd of known it was cow I was putting in the freezer.:shocked:
    hehehe..just joking, I'd of called the neighbor and gave him a few minutes to come get his cow.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinahound View Post
    How in the heck do you mistake a cow for a coyote? I'd of still shot it, but I'd of known it was cow I was putting in the freezer.:shocked:
    hehehe..just joking, I'd of called the neighbor and gave him a few minutes to come get his cow.
    That guy had to be zonked out on something...
    I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck. ~Emma Goldman

it happens.....:drunk:

There is a case in the Vermont courts, right now, where a hunter mistook his friend (a fellow hunter) for a cow...I mean a coyote...I wonder what his taxidermist will think:shocked:
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by jigglepete View Post
    There is a case in the Vermont courts, right now, where a hunter mistook his friend (a fellow hunter) for a cow...I mean a coyote...I wonder what his taxidermist will think:shocked:
    That's why they tell you to be sure of what you are shooting at. We don't need gun control, we need idiot control. :drunk:

That's why they tell you to be sure of what you are shooting at. We don't need gun control, we need idiot control. :drunk:
    Amen to that c-hound, idiot is right, it took the guy two shots to hit him...What would Dick Cheney think:shocked:
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Dick Cheney would sue, then shoot the lawyer anyway.

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work... User Rank

I don't know that I can say that I have ever saw a Cow that looked like a Coyote.
    How about anyone else here?
    :rasta:
    Vasudeva

Quote Originally Posted by coontie View Post
    I don't know that I can say that I have ever saw a Cow that looked like a Coyote.
    How about anyone else here?
    :rasta:
    I saw a cow at Coyote's once or twice, but I hadn't really started drinking yet.ing1:

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work... User Rank

I saw a cow at Coyote's once or twice, but I hadn't really started drinking yet.ing1:

Heyyyy... then what did you have before you got there? Heh - Heh...:judges::freak3::rasta:
    Vasudeva

Quote Originally Posted by coontie View Post
    Heyyyy... then what did you have before you got there? Heh - Heh...:judges::freak3::rasta:
    Not a thing. :blunt:

kathaj is offline Just to the edge ,never over it. User Rank

It is so darn weird cuz all of my neighbors cow's look like coyote's or is it all the coyote's look like my neighbors cow's ???
    Oh darn now i'm really confused !
    I'm just gonna go shoot at something and hope it's not one of my cow's.:2gunsfiring_v1: :
    www.LetsSayThanks.com
    Click this link to say THANKS to our USA Troops around the WORLD.

I tell you everything that is really nothing, and nothing of what is everything, do not be fooled by what I am saying. Please listen carefully and try to hear what I am not saying. ~Charles C. Finn

Quote Originally Posted by kathaj View Post
    It is so darn weird cuz all of my neighbors cow's look like coyote's or is it all the coyote's look like my neighbors cow's ???
    Oh darn now i'm really confused !
    I'm just gonna go shoot at something and hope it's not one of my cow's.:2gunsfiring_v1: :
    How would you know if it is a cow or a coyote if you can't tell the difference. Maybe new glasses or maybe find the ones you are supposed to use.

kathaj is offline Just to the edge ,never over it. User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
    How would you know if it is a cow or a coyote if you can't tell the difference. Maybe new glasses or maybe find the ones you are supposed to use.
    Well see it's fairly easy , the neighbors coyote's all wear a M bar brand on the right hip with the right ear notched and all my cows wear a rafter P V brand on the right shoulder with the left ear slit.
    www.LetsSayThanks.com
    Click this link to say THANKS to our USA Troops around the WORLD.

I tell you everything that is really nothing, and nothing of what is everything, do not be fooled by what I am saying. Please listen carefully and try to hear what I am not saying. ~Charles C. Finn

Quote Originally Posted by kathaj View Post
    Well see it's fairly easy , the neighbors coyote's all wear a M bar brand on the right hip with the right ear notched and all my cows wear a rafter P V brand on the right shoulder with the left ear slit.
    So how does that coyote steak taste???? hhehehe