+ Reply to Thread

the future of nuclear enrgy production

i dont know if this has been thrashed around before here but with new developments in nuclear waste reduction and safer and bomb free types of reactors do you think the public can be sold on new nuclear energy production on a large scale since it is a very carbon free method of energy production!?:sunglasses: : hehe!!......just askn...
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Re: the future of nuclear enrgy production

No nuclear fission reactor was ever a 'bomb'. The design elements behind a nuclear weapon and a fission reactor are fundamentally different. Accidents (RARELY) have occured in fission reactors, but they had nothing to do with sustained criticality (eg. Chernobyl, the cause was an explosion caused by steam, granted the steam voids were there because of spiked reactor temperature, the accident was not a nuclear bomb, it was dozens of mistakes and oversight performed in consecutive order). People fear nuclear energy because people are uneducated generally, the word nuclear strikes fear into them even though they dont know what it means.

The FUTURE of energy production will undoubtedly be nuclear fusion (assuming we dont destroy ourselves first) as we have a limitless supply of fuel (water), and the waste is very minimal and has a half life short enough that it posses minimal threat.

Hundreds of coal miners die every year, and thousands more succumb to that coal dust lung disease. I think there has only ever been 3-4 nuclear fission reactor accidents, most of them caused by gross negligence and corruption

thats my answer anyways :P

Also, the media controls every one of us, stupid media. The fissle material in our nuclear weapon stockpiles that are FINALLY beginning to be reduced can be used in a fission reactor to produce energy. Destroy Weapons, Produce Needed Energy, how could the population NOT support that? I'll tell you, the media never has, and never will describe the details of decommissioning of nuclear weapons, and they will always follow what the public wants to hear (which is apparently that nuclear fission generatred energy is unsafe, which its not).

o and carbon (and carbon dioxide) has nothing to do with anything. I only support the whole global warming crap because its finally forcing people to stop being so god damned wasteful.

We're destroying the planet by ejecting insane amounts of synthetic compounds, and toxic byproducts into our atmosphere. I'm not worried about the temperature changing, im worried, with the exponential growth of humans that the air we breath will become unbreathable, or toxic enough to induce signifigant health effects in people and animals alike.

No nuclear fission reactor was ever a 'bomb'. The design elements behind a nuclear weapon and a fission reactor are fundamentally different. Accidents (RARELY) have occured in fission reactors, but they had nothing to do with sustained criticality (eg. Chernobyl, the cause was an explosion caused by steam, granted the steam voids were there because of spiked reactor temperature, the accident was not a nuclear bomb, it was dozens of mistakes and oversight performed in consecutive order). People fear nuclear energy because people are uneducated generally, the word nuclear strikes fear into them even though they dont know what it means.

The FUTURE of energy production will undoubtedly be nuclear fusion (assuming we dont destroy ourselves first) as we have a limitless supply of fuel (water), and the waste is very minimal and has a half life short enough that it posses minimal threat.

Hundreds of coal miners die every year, and thousands more succumb to that coal dust lung disease. I think there has only ever been 3-4 nuclear fission reactor accidents, most of them caused by gross negligence and corruption

thats my answer anyways :P

I call upon the scientific community in our country, those who gave us nuclear weapons, to turn their great talents now to the cause of mankind and world peace: to give us the means of rendering these nuclear weapons impotent and obsolete.
    Well....................................