+ Reply to Thread

Oxfam cold-calling

Oops! I think I may be breaking forum etiquette here. I jut realised I'd posted this thread in the wrong section (political chat). Sorry.

I'd be interested in comments on the following:

This is a letter I sent to Oxfam and the content will explain my concern:

"Oxfam Supporter Relations,
    Oxfam House,
    John Smith Drive,
    Cowley,
    Oxford.
    OX4 2JY

Re: ‘Cold-call’ requests for donations:

At around 16:50 on Tuesday 20/11/07 I received a call by someone claiming to be from Oxfam. The caller spent about five minutes telling me about the work that Oxfam are doing then asked if I’d like to pledge a small donation which would require me to give her my bank account number and my sort code.

I pointed out that I am certainly not prepared to give such sensitive data to a total stranger on the strength of the fact that she claimed to be from Oxfam. I then rang Oxfam and queried this as I felt it highly unlikely that a responsible organisation such as yours would actively encourage people to do something so foolish and potentially dangerous. I fully expected to find out this was a scam being operated in Oxfam’s name.

I gave the number of the caller which I was surprised had not been witheld (0117 9044664) and was amazed to find that it actually was a call from Oxfam!

You are asking people to do something that the police, the government, banks and anyone with a grain of sense would advise them not to do. By doing this, you have put people who are known to support Oxfam in a very vulnerable position. You have exposed them to a high risk of having confidential data stolen. Anyone so inclined who is aware that this telephone campaign is being conducted can now scam anyone who is known to support your organisation. Hopefully, most of the people they ring won’t go along with it but those who do could possibly have their lives ruined. You have created a perfect climate for scammers.

Consequently, I can no longer support Oxfam. I shall be also be addressing my concerns to the press in the hope that they will warn people against responding to such calls.

Yours sincerely,

Ron Tocknell"

Unfortunately, their website doesn't publish an email address so they won't read this until the postal service delivers it.

Any views on this?

Re: Oxfam cold-calling

I'm 100% sure your letter will go in the bin. But good try!

I am not someone who donates to charities in the first place, they always collect money, but you hardly, if ever see what they actually do with all the money.

When you look at their fancy offices, fancy little vans and big salaries for the management (the volunteers gets exploited for free, so you'd think the management gets paid nothing as well, ha!)

Anyway, to get back to the point. That letter will be delivered to the rubbish bin after it was opened.

I don't think Oxfam would do cold calling, it could be some scam, but then I'm not an expert on that. However even if you raise your concerns and by luck you get a response, I don't believe they really care and will only respond in the hopes to catch another fool to believe they are doing "good work and care".

Well. I did get a reply. They are sorry that I was offended by their phone campaign etc. etc. No acknowledgment that cold-calling and asking for bank details is in any way irresponsible.

It was a genuine Oxfam campaign, as I had established directly after the call.

Whether Oxfam could be called a scam in itself is possibly a matter for discussion. I agree that they have a huge budget from which generous salaries are drawn for the directors and executive end of the workforce (who, unlike the shop staff, don't work for nothing). They also spend a lot on marketing and corporate identity and different people may have different views on this.

My objection here is not that I was offended at being cold-called but that I was being asked to provide bank account details to someone who had phoned me out of the blue. This could have been someone from Oxfam (as it turned out to be) or it could have been someone from a phone box down the road.

Actually running this cold-call campaign opens an ideal scam opportunity. Anyone who is known to support Oxfam is put at risk.

Quote Originally Posted by rontocknell View Post

I'd be interested in comments on the following:

This is a letter I sent to Oxfam and the content will explain my concern:

"Oxfam Supporter Relations,
    Oxfam House,
    John Smith Drive,
    Cowley,
    Oxford.
    OX4 2JY

Re: ‘Cold-call’ requests for donations:

At around 16:50 on Tuesday 20/11/07 I received a call by someone claiming to be from Oxfam. The caller spent about five minutes telling me about the work that Oxfam are doing then asked if I’d like to pledge a small donation which would require me to give her my bank account number and my sort code.

I pointed out that I am certainly not prepared to give such sensitive data to a total stranger on the strength of the fact that she claimed to be from Oxfam. I then rang Oxfam and queried this as I felt it highly unlikely that a responsible organisation such as yours would actively encourage people to do something so foolish and potentially dangerous. I fully expected to find out this was a scam being operated in Oxfam’s name.

I gave the number of the caller which I was surprised had not been witheld (0117 9044664) and was amazed to find that it actually was a call from Oxfam!

You are asking people to do something that the police, the government, banks and anyone with a grain of sense would advise them not to do. By doing this, you have put people who are known to support Oxfam in a very vulnerable position. You have exposed them to a high risk of having confidential data stolen. Anyone so inclined who is aware that this telephone campaign is being conducted can now scam anyone who is known to support your organisation. Hopefully, most of the people they ring won’t go along with it but those who do could possibly have their lives ruined. You have created a perfect climate for scammers.

Consequently, I can no longer support Oxfam. I shall be also be addressing my concerns to the press in the hope that they will warn people against responding to such calls.

Yours sincerely,

Unfortunately, their website doesn't publish an email address so they won't read this until the postal service delivers it.

Any views on this?
    Well, I can tell you that although this seems like a scam, it is not.

Several charities, in fact 100's of them employ telemarketing companies to call people (usually people who have donated in the past) and request that they support X charity once again.

Charities have all kinds of ways to raise funds and this is one of them. You may have seen people dressed up in teddy bear outfits in the street or in company t-shirts in the street collecting for charity. I saw some people from Greenpeace last week, actually.

I prefer to go into a charity shop myself, send used stamps or just make an anonymous donation.

If you don't want to be contacted in future, then don't fill out your personal details when giving, but if you do, read the fine print carefully.

A lot of the time people complain about these types of things, but reading the fine print helps.

Sometimes it says "if you don't want to be contacted in future tick the box". Some people don't tick the box, then when they receive telemarketing and market research calls they get mad about it.

Always read the fine print when filling out forms.

What you should have said in your letter is...please remove my details from your contact list...and they have to under the Data Protection Act 1998.

I made such a request a few months ago to one particular company (not a charity) by phone and letter since they decided to ignore four emails I sent, when I spoke to a person over the phone they removed my details within two weeks and I am happy.
    Last edited by BAILEYSCREAMS_REVENGE; 04-25-2008 at 12:11 AM.
    Karma is a Biatch! :yelcutelaughA:

Con artists revealed as the criminals they are! freakB:

The IGNORE feature is the best answer for a FOOL!

I believe Oxfam is now just another corporate business! I delivered a new car to their head office and was gobsmacked to find the car park full of top Marques! There were vehicles I could only dream of owning! I used to donate a couple of pounds a month and asked not to be contacted but was inundated with phone calls and mail asking to give for one thing after another! The couple of pounds I had given would not have covered the postage for the amount of mail that I received every month! So I am afraid I will never give Oxfam a bean! They need to sort it out but highly unlikely as I am sure the head office lot are living the life of Reilly!