+ Reply to Thread

Trucks grounded/if don't pay DOT fee (UCR)

Our family business got this one from a "OperatingAuthority.com" or "Logistec/TTS Resident Agent Service, Inc. po box 13259 Florence SC 29504"

It starts out on Department of Transportation letterhead and say this "Unified Carrier Registration" (UCR) program fee has to be paid for trucks 10,001 pounds or a vehicle transporting 11 or more passengers etc.

The letter goes on (6 PAGES! worth) about how the State is slowly collecting these fees and how much time you will waste on busy DOT and DMV phone lines and how you send the UCR fee and their $100 processing fee to them so you don't get your trucks grounded or fined (says they will ground your truck at first weigh station it comes to after Nov 15, 07 if not taken care of).

I've got a call into NC DMV (left message,I'm sure they will call "right back" as busy as they are) and also called the NC Dept. of Justice, and going to fax them a copy.

Can anyone help on this? Heard of it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

John

Re: Trucks grounded/if don't pay DOT fee (UCR)

The program UCR is legit - but I would not go through a third party. Here is a site with the details:

http://www.ucr.in.gov/

And the contact list by state:
    https://www.ucr.in.gov/MCS/StateContactList.htm

Thank you Chris, I will go check that out now...............
    John, in North Carolina

"Better safe, than sorry!"

HAH! I was wondering about him being from South Carolina and us being in NC.

North Carolina, (according to the URC website link you were kind enough to supply) does not even participate in this program!

The guy KNEW we were from NC because he mailed it to us also in Charlotte.

Stressed about this most of the day, while at home recovering from surgery.

Anyhow, Thank you Sir!

I appreciate you taking the time to help.

Regards,

John
    John, in North Carolina

Well, I went ahead and read the rest of the info on registration on the site you provided and it looks like NC companies are to use SC as their "Base" so that may mean this "would" be legit but reading further I found that:

This fee applies only to vehicles of certain sizes used to generate revenue hauling for other people (other then themselves,that is) or carrying 11 people or more.

We just have a 20' box truck that we use for our laboratory equipment reconditioning company, so we don't haul for anyone but ourselves and even that is rare as we use common carriers for anything outside of a 200 mile radius of Charlotte.

So looks like we still dodged the bullet on that one. I am SURE this guy would have gladly taken his "processing fee" and the UCR charge and kept it for themselves had my brother given in to his threats of our truck being "grounded" at the first weigh station.

Again, thank you for the website with full info and breakdown of classifications, very helpful !
    John, in North Carolina