+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Re: *****slist car scam

I just hope that the person responsible for this gets penalized. Or maybe he's still on operation?

Re: Craigslist.com CAR SCAMS

You gotta see the car first from craigslist before you buy. I know guys that buy and flip muscle cars without driving them first. That's a risky game/

Please help our church -
    Your donations no matter how small are appreciated :)

Not for me, but helped my newly driving friend buy her first car. Some tips:

1. Scams everywhere. If it's a ridiculous deal, it's a scam. No, you're not getting a 2010 Mazda6 for $4000.

2. Check Carfax. It's not foolproof, but it'll help weed out some cars.

3. Be thorough and ask specific in questions in email or text. Have they been in any accidents? Any repairs done to engine or transmission? Any body work? If you find out later they lied, you covered your ass and have them on record lying. AFAIK, "Buyer beware" does not apply to claims they make that they know to be false, e.g. ["My car has no water damage"](https://vimeo.com/15390422)

4. Be prepared to walk away. Don't feel compelled to continue dealing due to sunk cost or guilt. Seller not providing VIN, vaguely avoiding your questions, or anything that makes you feel uncomfortable.

5. Know the value of the car *and* the fair market value. KBB is a nice guide but its not universal - depending on where you live, cars can usually go for over or under KBB value. For example, I live in the SF Bay Area with a much higher cost of living than the vast majority of the US. As a result, cars usually sell here for higher than KBB value. In contrast to where I used to live in San Diego with a much more reasonable cost of living, you can usually find cars close to KBB value for sale there.

6. Be prepared when meeting. Do your research. What are the common problems with used cars of that make/model in that generation? Have a mechanic lined up. If the test drive goes well, pop open the hood and specifically check for those trouble spots you looked up earlier. After that, take it to a mechanic **of your choosing** for an inspection. Specifically mention those trouble spots as well. It could cost around $70, but it's definitely worth the money over buying a lemon.

7. Figure out how to do the money transaction. Most deals these days are still done with cash and cashier's checks, so plan ahead of time to get that money from the bank. These days, you can also do money transfers on your phone. Between accounts at the same bank, there usually is no fee. It's a good alternative if you don't like carrying cash or a cashier's check for a large sum on you.

8. Be prepared to move on the deal. A true great deal is rare to find, especially on a popular Craigslist area. If you really do find a good car and it checks out completely, be ready to jump on it because if you don't, someone will. I'm not saying buy a car sight unseen, but if it checks out after doing your due diligence, don't be surprised if you decide to spend a day or two thinking it over and find out it's already sold.

To use my own personal experience: Aforementioned friend and I found a 08 Mazda3 in good condition for $5k. A bit higher than KBB value, but significantly cheaper than anything we found for that generation/body type/reliability/odometer in our area. Did our research beforehand to find common problems with the car (engine mount, front struts) beyond the usual what to look fors. Showed up for test drive at 6PM. Parked and popped hood open to do initial inspection at 6:15PM. Took to mechanic of our choosing at 6:20PM. Mechanic did inspection til 7:00PM. All checked out with no major issues. Transferred money and title at 7:10PM.

The (un?)fortunate part is that there was another potential buyer lined up after us at 7:30PM, and simply by being the second appt with the seller, we scooped the car from him. Car has been great since with no issues and nothing close to that good a value on CL since.

I can't speak for any any strictly used dealership experiences, but as most regular dealerships have used inventory it would make sense to look there. I agree with above commenter, David GMC is respectable and pretty good as far as car dealerships go. Stay away from Lethbridge Mitsubishi at all costs. They're so bad there's a Facebook page dedicated to their ups/scams/terrible service. It's called Lethbridge Mitsubishi Fails or something. I've heard rumors that Lethbridge Kia was bought out by the same owners at Mitsubishi, and that it is going the same direction and getting slimy. That's a rumor so I don't know for sure. Happy car shopping!

This is how the communication started. Carol Stier
    posted this vehicle on Facebooks Marketplace. I messaged
    the seller (Carol Stier)

*see 1st picture

Below is what I messaged Carol Stier and then
    her reply.

*see 2nd picture

Below, is my initial email to Carol Stier’s “mom”:

Hello,

I was instructed to contact you about the vehicle you are selling.

Can I get more information on it:

• Miles
    • Condition
    • Anything at all wrong with it
    • Ever been in an accident
    • Where is it located

Can I also get some pictures?

Thanks!!

Then I sent her this follow-up:

The person who instructed me to contact you is Carol Stier – she posted it in the St. Paul MN Facebook online garage sale site. She claimed that you are her mother. She has since removed the posting AND either deleted her account or she has blocked me. I will be reporting this!! NOT COOL!

Jessica Carol finally responded to me and this is communication between me and her:

Yes, I would like to talk to the owner in person but that is sort of difficult as you have stated that you have a hearing handicap. So you can’t use a relay service??

And there would be NO shipping because my friend could look and test drive it and if he thinks it’s a good deal, he will hand you over a cashier’s check for $2000 at the DMV (where the title would be transferred to his name and then he will transfer it to mine after he drives to back to me). You really think I woud go through AMAZON for this sort of purchase??? So this vehicle (the 2008 Toyota Rav 4 you are selling for $2000) has been registered/licensed in Lawrence KS in your name (Jessica Carroll)??

Sent: Monday, February 20, 2017 10:03 AM
    To: Me>
    Subject: RE: 2007 Toyota Rav 4

No they don`t but they have nothing to do with this sale and they are not aware of my decision to sell it. Do you want to talk to all of my family members or talk to the owner in person ?Here is the VIN: JTMBD31V685186893 as requested.
    On February 19, 2017 at 8:29 PM “Me” wrote:
    I asked for the VIN number. I never gave you my phone number. I asked for your patents phone number and their address. They have a hearing handicap, too???
    Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2017 11:33 AM
    To: Me
    Subject: RE: 2007 Toyota Rav 4
    Good afternoon,
    I would had called you already as it would had made things easier for me too but I have a hearing handicap and it makes it impossible for me to call or receive phone calls.E-mail is much more convenient for me right now and I hope you understand and appreciate my current condition.You will have the opportunity to see, test drive and inspect the vehicle before making the actual purchase because this is not a sight unseen deal if this is your main concern.As I was telling you in previous email, my husband died recently. I had to move out and now I'm living with my parents in Lawrence, KS. Right now they are the only ones I can rely on through this tragedy. The vehicle is here in the area at the shipping company, sealed and ready for shipping. The price includes free delivery and you can receive it at your address in 1-3 days. Once you get the vehicle , you will have a 5 day trial period prior to making any purchase. If it doesn't suit you, you can return it, on my full expense. You also get all the documents including title, bill of sale, two sets of keys, full service records and everything already signed and notarized into your name.
    For our safety, we should use Amazon. If you want to buy it, e-mail me your full name, P.o. Box or address, including the zip code and phone number. I will then have Amazon know that you are my possible buyer, so they can explain the entire sale and payment method.
    Sincerely,
    Jessica Carroll,
    On February 19, 2017 at 11:15 AM "Me" wrote:
    Can I get the. VIN?? I want to do some research on it first. Also, I have a friend who lives in that area and I will want them to check it out and test drive it for me. Can I get yours parents address and phone # so my friend can call you to arrange a good day and time to look at the vehicle?
    Thank you.

Sent: Friday, February 17, 2017 5:56 PM
    To: Me
    Subject: Re: 2007 Toyota Rav 4
    Hello there,
    Thank you for contacting me about my 2008 Toyota RAV4 Limited 4WD with 2.4L 4cyl Engine and 85,987 miles it's automatic runs on gasoline. The vehicle is in great shape & immaculate condition and I’m the original owner. It has no damage,or hidden defects. I have a clear title, under my name.The price is $2,000. I’m selling it because my husband died 1 month ago (he had a heart attack) and it brings me bad memories so that’s the reason I want to sell it asap. My daughter and I decided to sell the house and so we moved with my parents in Lawrence, KS trying to start a new life. I want to use Amazon Service for the safety of both of us so if you’re interested in purchasing the vehicle just email me with your full name, P.o. Box or address including the zip code and phone number, so I can notify Amazon that you are selected as my possible buyer and they will contact you to explain the entire procedure.
    Thank you,
    Jessica Carroll
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: Escrow scam on Craigslist

As a precaution , I always use any craigslist transaction "in person" locally and it is safer to do transactions in the Police Department's lobby. Many police departments (USA) encourages this practice.
    --------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by jaspercat52 View Post
    I almost got scammed...thank god I kept digging...here's how it worked:

I found this ad on Craigslist:
    2003 03 HONDA CIVIC LX 5SPD MANUAL 4D SEDAN LIKE NEW CA - $5200
    Reply to: [email protected]
    Date: 2006-01-15, 7:38PM PST

This Civic is in great condition all around and like-new. Please take a look at all the photos including any showing particular exterior dents or scratches (if any).A free carfax report is also available, please click on carfax link under reports. Also, additional high resolution photos can be sent to serious buyers, just provide us with your email address. Become the second owner of this well-kept automobile. All available records show the odometer reading on this vehicle to be accurate. All mechanical parts including transmission are in working order.

Year: 2003
    Make: Honda
    Model: Civic
    VIN: 2HGES15573H506193
    Mileage: 48,405
    Transmission: Manual
    Engine: 4 - Cyl. 1.7 L
    Exterior Color: Silver
    Interior Color: Gray
    Body Style: 4 Dr Sedan
    Title Status: Clear

FREE CARFAX REPORT FOR MY CAR : http://www.carfax.com/cfm/ccc_Displa...ES15573H506193

* This item has been posted by-owner.
    * yes -- it's ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Then we had these e-mails (I took my name out):

When i working there i work by self. All my friennd and my family are in UK. Im very sorry. I will wait your email me back. Thank You Again.

wrote:

Don't you have any family here or friends that you trust?? I would feel so
    much better conducting this transaction through a person.

K

>From: Mark Bailey
    >To: K
    >Subject: Re: 2003 03 HONDA CIVIC LX 5SPD MANUAL 4D SEDAN LIKE NEW CA -
    >$5200
    >Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 00:09:59 -0800 (PST)
    >
    >With all my pleasure. Here you have them email :
    >[email protected] Email them and tell the to open a case with
    >our transaction .. Send them your informations , the cars price and your
    >questions. I will wait for them to contact me them . Or you shold keep me
    >in touch. Thank You
    >
    > PS: I understand you very much with this .. I see this life is become
    >very DARK. I work very hard night and day to keep my kids alife.
    >
    >
    >K wrote:
    > Can I contact the escrow company directly first and give my information
    >through them? This way I will know that you are definately connected to
    >them. Forgive my suspicions, but this is a lot of money still and your idea
    >on how to sell your car in extraordinary and if I lost this much money with
    >no car in the end, life as I know it would become very, very DARK!!
    >
    >K
    >
    > >From: Mark Bailey
    > >To: K
    > >Subject: Re: 2003 03 HONDA CIVIC LX 5SPD MANUAL 4D SEDAN LIKE NEW CA -
    > >$5200
    > >Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 23:44:02 -0800 (PST)
    > >
    > >Ofcourse you can. All Escrow agency have a REFUND REQUEST. The escrow
    > >company name is Escrow Support ( www.escrow-support.us ). If you are
    >still
    > >interested in the car please email me back with your full name and your
    > >full shipping address and i will open a case immediatly with our
    > >transaction, after i will do that, they will contact you with more
    > >informations about refunding and how to make the payment. I know that
    >they
    > >shall give you a term of 14 days to inspect the car after you will make
    >the
    > >payment and receive the car . So if you are still interested in the car i
    > >will wait your email back with your full name and your full shipping
    > >address. Thank you so very much for understanding me and for the
    >attention
    > >that you give me.
    > >
    > > Best Regards, Mark Bailey
    > >
    > >
    > >K wrote:
    > > Which escrow company is it? If the car gets here and it is not in the
    > >condition you say it is in, can I get my money back?
    > >
    > >K
    > >
    > > >From: Mark Bailey
    > > >To: K
    > > >Subject: Re: 2003 03 HONDA CIVIC LX 5SPD MANUAL 4D SEDAN LIKE NEW CA -
    > > >$5200
    > > >Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 21:25:29 -0800 (PST)
    > > >
    > > >Hello
    > > >
    > > > 5 months ago i ustu work in US,now i have returned back home and i
    > > >realised that i need to sell the car that i bought in US , the car is
    > > >registered in US ,and it's a left hand drive, and it is very hard to
    > >drive
    > > >a car in a country where all steerings are on the right side . The
    > >shipping
    > > >is free and the car is so cheap because i have to find a client very
    >fast
    > > >because i had a decease in my family and i need the money. This whole
    > > >transaction will take 5 working days ,we shall use a escrow agency,one
    > >with
    > > >whom i've been working for 4 years and i have a great trust in them. If
    > >you
    > > >will come up with an ideea to use another escrow agency i shall deny
    >your
    > > >request . If you are still interested please do not hesitate to e-mail
    >me
    > > >back. Thank you
    > > >
    > > >K
    > > > I am so confused!! Yes, I would still be interested, but what's the
    > > >story??
    > > >
    > > >K > > >
    > > >
    > > > >From: Mark Bailey
    > > > >To: K
    > > > >Subject: Re: 2003 03 HONDA CIVIC LX 5SPD MANUAL 4D SEDAN LIKE NEW CA
    >-
    > > > >$5200 Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 17:34:58 -0800 (PST)
    > > > >
    > > > >If i shall tell you that the car is located in UK and the SHIPPING is
    > > >FREE
    > > > >OF CHARGES would you still be interested ? Thank you and i am waiting
    > > >with
    > > > >all my pleasure your email back.

The website address that he gives is: http://www.escrow-support.us/

This website LOOKS very legit. If you look under contacts however, there is no phone number. There is a license number though - # 9631865 which seems to come from "The European Chamber of E-Commerce East Lancashire," however, this group says on their website that they do not give out such licenses to escrow companies - http://www.chamberelancs.co.uk/index...tion=show_news

Also, if you look on the Chamber's website and look up any of the several names that are mentioned on the scammer's site, (and there are four names mind you that you will come across if you continues looking at everything - Global Security One, Better Business Support, Escrow Support, and International Escrow) - only one comes up on the Chamber's website: Global Security One. If you follow the link to that companies website, it goes somewhere totally different than to the scammer sight. I was thinking that I could be looking at another branch of the same business, but I remembered that the addresses were the same so I got confused. I decided to look closer at the addresses and sure enough - there was something wrong. The addresses were almost exactly the same, but the town was different and the zip code was off by one digit.

When I went to Whois, the site looked further bunk. An escrow company should be some type of corporation, but the website was regitstered to some guy named Phillip.

Overall, from the very beginning, nothing was adding up, but I couldn't pass up what looked like a good deal without being sure it wasn't real. The first words in the ad "this civic" made me wonder immediately - it sounded like a dealership posting the ad rather than an individual who would say "MY car." THen he goes on to talk about his car as though he doesn't really know much about it - not knowing if there are any scratches on it or not. Another thing that was catching my attention is that the person said he was from England and that this was where all his friends and family lived, but his english was horrible. One other catch was the name of the company he gave in his e-mail - he said the name was "Escrow Support." That name isn't mentioned anywhere on the website and who the hell would name their company that??? Oh yah, and there was another one - the pictures of the car! His pictures were taken here in the US - I'm almost sure. Behind the car was a parking lot full of SUV's and a long row of tall healthy Palm Trees - don't even try and tell me these things exist in England...

Just to mess with this guy I've been keeping up on the e-mails - I asked him when the pictures were taken. He hasn't replied yet. Damn, I should have tried to get a phone number after all so I could call him in "England" when I know he's here in Cali somewhere....I hope he writes me back...

These craigslist scammers are getting more and more clever. Its hard enough for truth and I am a savvy surfer. But the average Joe might fall for these car scams.

Name:  craigslist-texts.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  47.4 KB

Please help our church -
    Your donations no matter how small are appreciated :)