+ Reply to Thread

Global Warming To Effect Humidity

Wednesday, October 10, 2007
    WASHINGTON - The world isn't just getting hotter from man-made global warming, it's getting stickier. It really is the humidity. The amount of moisture in the air near the surface - the stuff that makes hot weather unbearable - increased 2.2 percent in just under three decades. And computer models show that the only explanation is man-made global warming, according to a study published in Thursday's journal Nature.

"This humidity change is an important contribution to heat stress in humans as a result of global warming," said Nathan Gillett of the University of East Anglia in the United Kingdom, a co-author of the study.

Gillett studied changes in specific humidity, which is a measurement of total moisture in the air, between 1973-2002. Increases in humidity can be dangerous to people because it makes the body less efficient at cooling itself, said University of Miami health and climate researcher Laurence Kalkstein. He was not connected with the research.

Humidity increased over most of the globe, including the eastern United States, said study co-author Katharine Willett, a climate researcher at Yale University. However, a few regions, including the U.S. West, South Africa and parts of Australia were drier.

The finding isn't surprising to climate scientists. Physics dictates that warmer air can hold more moisture. But Gillett's study shows that the increase in humidity already is significant and can be attributed to gas emissions from the burning of fossil fuels.

To show that this is man-made, Gillett ran computer models to simulate past climate conditions and studied what would happen to humidity if there were no man-made greenhouse gases. It didn't match reality.

He looked at what would happen from just man-made greenhouse gases. That didn't match either. Then he looked at the combination of natural conditions and greenhouse gases. The results were nearly identical to the year-by-year increases in humidity.

Gillett's study followed another last month that used the same technique to show that moisture above the world's oceans increased and that it bore the "fingerprint" of being caused by man-made global warming.

Climate scientists have now seen the man-made fingerprint of global warming on 10 different aspects of Earth's environment: surface temperatures, humidity, water vapor over the oceans, barometric pressure, total precipitation, wildfires, change in species of plants in animals, water run-off, temperatures in the upper atmosphere, and heat content in the world's oceans.

"This story does now fit together; there are now no loose ends," said Ben Santer, a scientist at Lawrence Livermore National Lab and author of the September study on moisture above the oceans. "The message is pretty compelling that natural causes alone just can't cut it."

The studies make sense, said University of Victoria climate scientist Andrew Weaver, who was not part of either team's research.

It will only feel worse in the future, Gillett said. Moisture in the air increases by about 6 percent with every degree Celsius (1.8 degrees Fahrenheit), he said. Using the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's projections for temperature increases, that would mean a 12 to 24 percent increase in humidity by the year 2100.

"Although it might not be a lethal kind of thing, it's going to increase human discomfort," Willett said.

Yukes...I hate humidity:grrr:
    ---

On the Net:

Nature: http://www.nature.com/nature
    I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck. ~Emma Goldman

Re: Global Warming To Effect Humidity

Quote Originally Posted by peregrine View Post
    The world isn't just getting hotter from man-made global warming, it's getting stickier.
    What The Fanatics Don't Want You To Know----
    Cherry-picking
    Inside Politics
    Greg Pierce
    September 17, 2007

"Need more proof that the Big Green Scare Machine :shocked: is spoon-feeding you cherry-picked non-science" to further their global warming alarmist agenda? "Try this," Marc Sheppard writes at americanthinker.com.
    "While news of Arctic ice shrinking to its lowest level on record is being screamed everywhere ... the emergence of colder weather and ice levels at their highest in almost 30 years on the other side of the globe has been all but ignored," Mr. Sheppard said.
    "In coming months, you're sure to hear a lot about how global warming has created that which has eluded explorers from John Cabot in 1497 to Henry Hudson in 1609: the fabled Arctic Ocean shipping lane known as the Northwest Passage.
    "And, while it's true that satellite photos have found an ice-free corridor along Canada, Alaska and Greenland and Northern Hemisphere ice at its lowest level since such images were taken in 1978, it's also true that Antarctic ice levels (Southern Hemisphere) are at record highs for that same period.
    "That's right, according to the University of Illinois Polar Research Group Web site The Cryosphere Today: 'The Southern Hemisphere sea ice area has broken the previous maximum of 16.03 million sq. km and is currently at 16.26 million sq. km. This represents an increase of about 1.4 percent above the previous SH ice area record high.'
    "To be sure, this historic bipolarity of the Southern Hemisphere sea ice maximum corresponding with a Northern Hemisphere sea ice minimum is puzzling.
    "The fact that climate illusionists will only reveal the heads side of the coin certainly is not."

phlipper's too busy fighting Islamo-Marxism to bother to get his story straight.

global warming is a myth, read my article i posted here at this forum, you can not argue with the REAL FACTS. Humidity has been around forever, get real man! What is Al Gore promoting, that people should build now days homes made with STRAW but STRAW insulated homes are only ideal in dry states and does AL GORE live in such a home, Nope and would he if he were to build a new home, nope! And he been telling people to RIDE THEIR BIKES TO WORK and all that nonsense. But I watched TV GLENN BECK and he exposed AL GORE, when GORE has to do shows he takes a private JET now, with the milage he has put on that JET, he has used so much fuel, was it he could of traveled around the world with and telling the PEOPLE to ride a bike to work, Well there are not bike routes alongside the highways are there, can you image riding a bike in a rainy day in a thunderstormy day and for those of you who live in cold climates riding your bike in a snow storm, AL GORE IS FULL OF LIES and you people are being SCAMMED BIG TIME, you are all so gullible it is pathetic!

I guess if you write "REAL FACTS" in big capital letters, your logic suddenly becomes solid, well-researched, and well-tested.

Wow, science has never been easier.

Quote Originally Posted by bic View Post
    It would be easier for you, once you start thinking for yourself. The problem with the brainwashing you had is that they put too much bleach in.

Isn't it ironic, that you're calling for people to "think for yourself" because they just won't mindlessly buy your obvious bull?

For example, when people don't buy your repeated insinuations that this whole "global warming" thing is just a huge scam promoted by the Hitler-Marxist-Santaclaus al-Gore al-Jihad Conspiracy to Destroy Western Civilization? Or when you keep referring to "facts" that aren't? Or when you say there's no global warming, right after you say there is global warming except it started 250 years ago? Or when you agree that galaxy's statements are "REAL FACTS" just because he put lots of words in big capital letters?
    Last edited by bic; 10-11-2007 at 02:10 PM.

.... because they just won't mindlessly buy your obvious bull?
    The question is 'Who's bull have you been buying into?'
    By the way, get over yourself. You're not worth it.

Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong. User Rank

I guess if you write "REAL FACTS" in big capital letters, your logic suddenly becomes solid, well-researched, and well-tested.

Really? let me try that.

Its a REAL FACT that I have a million dollars.

:cry: nope no money.

How about IT IS A REAL UNDISPUTABE FACT PROVEN BY DECADES OF SCIENCE AND TEAMS OF SCIENTISTS that I have a million dollars

: nope. no money yet.

I don't think you're correct in your conclusion. Maybe he's just full of %^$^

Amazing bic is now an expert on global warming. He must worship ozone Al.

Wow, that'll be so very devastating, tesla770... except you don't actually listen to the real experts -- the real climate scientists -- when they say that anthropogenic global warming is real, do you?

So that must mean you're the mostest highestest expertest expert on the issue of global warming. Because you already Know™ the Plain Truth™ about the issue -- the Truth™ untainted by lowly Facts and Logic.
    Last edited by bic; 10-13-2007 at 10:22 AM.