+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

please don't be a scam

My husband and I are trying to sell an '07 Fleetwood Bounder Motorhome and received a call the other day from a Western RV in Denver, CO.

I hate to be so skeptical if this is truly a legit business, but this is 2007 and I can't afford to lose $109,000.

He says we only have to pay $1/mile for him to come pick it up{from Seattle area} and that is our only expense. He will then place our RV on his lot and once a buyer is found, he would charge them a downpayment. The RV stays in our name until said buyer can procure a loan for the worth of the RV{can take up to 4 years, all the while RV is still in our name}. So basically, they are renting our RV. Making our payments for us and at no time will it ever come back to us or harm our credit.

If they don't pay the payment, he will make it and then repossess the vehicle. He isn't charging us a commission. That's the part that seems a little hokey.

My father adds, what happens if the driver runs over a kid in a vehicle that's in our name? Or runs drugs across a border and then ditches the vehicle...that's in OUR name?? How am I protected?

is this a scam???

Re: please don't be a scam

If the 'deale' wants you to pay him before he pcks up, particularly if he wants you to send payment via Wesern Union, it is a scam.

But why would you pay money to have your RV driven to Denver to sell it on the dealer's lot? That is just plain nuts. Sell your RV locally.

BTW What is the deler's name, address and phone number. I'll check him out for you
    Last edited by thetruthbetold; 09-01-2007 at 05:08 AM.

Wht is their phone number/website?

That's just another piece of the puzzle. They do have a website, it's pretty hard to find and it's very "homemade" looking.

We've just recently decided to sell and there is only one lot close by and they don't consign. We have it listed on National Multi-list and the only interest we've had was by a scammer! He was trying to pull a "Nigerian Scam." I'm sure he's already changed his name, but then he was going by Ron Larson{larceny?}, so he is one of the reasons I'm so skeptical. God bless America and all the slackers out there trying to steal my money instead of earning their own!

We're headed out at the end of October and are living in it right now as we're on assignment. Lots of crazy details adding to it. We have a real house on the east coast, but it's being rented out. Otherwise, I'd go home and make mu husband deal with all this! :)

The name of the dealership is Western RV, located at 2071 South Grant St. Denver, CO 80210. phone # 303-995-7248.

I can't find their website, but know my husband was on it the other day. When I find it, I'll post it here.

Thanks!

also, what are your opinions about consigning in general at local RV lots?
    Last edited by mcQueen; 09-01-2007 at 06:55 AM.

Address is listed as single family home on the market
    http://www.trulia.com/property/10330...enver-CO-80210

Phone is a cell and unpublished. No Western RV is listed anywhere. If business exists it usually is on whitepages.com.

Would not it be not funny if they decided to live in your RV while their home is in foreclosure.
    Last edited by borisf96; 09-01-2007 at 07:09 AM.

OMG that was fast. My heart is racing. He just sounded like such a sincere old man...

I hope he rots in the hots. Jerk.

Thanks, thanks, thanks a million. We really want to get rid of our RV and were super close to going through with this. Wow.

Thanks a million dude, you just saved me $109,000.

:)

http://westernrvservices.com. He called me from another phone # earlier today and I googled it and found their website.

Not much of a website. It does say on there that the numbers are cell numbers, but no explaination on why the address is a home. Unless, of course, they're selling RV's out of their front yard.
    Last edited by mcQueen; 09-01-2007 at 07:19 AM.

Created: 2007-08-14
    Expires: 2008-08-14
    Website was created two weeks ago. Probably just for you.

You may want to report it to Remax realtor who selling this house
    (800) 231-9153
    Last edited by borisf96; 09-01-2007 at 07:36 AM.

wow, I hope you get paid for this!

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by mcQueen
    wow, I hope you get paid for this!

Thanks again.

Go to maps.google.com and put in the Denver address. Select Satellite view and you will see that there are no RV lots anywhere nearby. It is a residential street.

This is a first RV scam on this forum? Anybody remembers?

I called the guy and he says their lot is at W 76th Ave and Pecos St. I pulled up the Google map for that location and there wasn't an RV lot at that location at the time, if there is one there now it isn't a big one. He wasn't too surprised that someone with a different name was calling about him buying an RV so I'd bet he is soliciting everyone he can find.

Bottom line, why on earth would you pay $1000 to have someone drive your RV to their unknown, small lot with some vague agreement about them selling it.

Dumb idea, I'd avoid it at all costs.

Sell your RV locally or find a dealer in the Southwest who will take it on consignment and drive it there yourself. No way would I let some fly-by-night dealer take my RV on consignment.

His website is hosted by Homestead.com, the high budget $4.99/mo plan.

BTW the part about getting a down payment and then taking up to 4 years for the buyer to get a loan is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life. Are there any mileage limits? In 4 years you RV could be utterly trashed. Of course your credit is at risk, you have no guarantee that he will make your payment on time or at all.

This deal stinks to high heaven.
    Last edited by thetruthbetold; 09-01-2007 at 08:16 AM.

all things we've considered. The guy just called 2 days ago, so this is just the beginning of the whole ordeal. I wonder how many unsuspecting old people they've scammed.

Does law enforcement ever get involved in these things? Or are the scammers too good at what they do? Or better said, is it too easy to run a scam with the onset of prepaid phones, CHEAP websites and such?

I googled RV consigment scams and there are just so many different ways people are being ripped off. It really is unfortunate that people have to be so skeptical.

Home at that address cost almost $500K. Why would anybody with that kind of money needs such a suspicious business? Definite scam.

It certainly sounds a bit shaky, except, as noted, it is a rather ham-handed presentation. It sounds like he might be trying to use the motor home himself, perhaps to do a bit of traveling. Unless there is a stip on mileage from the consignee, he can drive it all over the place. Also, if he has a dealer license, he can certainly sell your vehicle, obtain financing, etc. He can also drive it because he would be bonded and insured. Just check to see if he has a license to sell vehicles. The biggest problem, for you, is that his bond is likely far less than the value of your property, so your potential recourse would be limited to the bond amount.

But...no compensation? How confusing is that? He should be expecting at least 5% for his effort. I like the aforementioned "solution to foreclosure" suggestion of a previous poster. Needs an RV so he can live indoors...