+ Reply to Thread

Telephone scam keeps calling back...very frustrating

I own a bookstore and in the past two weeks or so I have been getting calls just about every day from someone claiming to be from some misc. yellow pages wanting to 'confirm' my stores name, address, telephone #, etc... and then goes on to say last years subscription is up and wants to 'make sure' I want to sign up for another two years for $39.95. At this point I tell them I don't want this service, and he informs me if I want to cancel it, it is a $500 cancellation fee.

I never signed on for this last year. I know it is a scam. I just want these idiots to stop calling me. Yesterday I cut him short and asked him for a call-back number, and he says "Sure, it's 514..." and he hangs up. Today, I ask again for a call back number and he says "No, I'll call back later". So, that tactic didn't last long.

Should I tell them I have involved the police? Tell them I'm recording these conversations? Ask them about global warming?

Please help. They are driving me nuts...

Re: Telephone scam keeps calling back...very frustrating

As soon as you realize he is a scammer, hang up the phone. No polite conversations.
    You can also tell him that you are on to him first . If nothing else helps ask police.

You may have seen this info already, but if not
    http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs3-hrs2.htm

Re: Telephone scam keeps calling back...very frustrating

Thank you for the response. The link you provided has some information I was not aware of, and again I thank you.

I tried hanging up on these people, and they called right back. Another forum I like hanging out in(fantasy football) advised I ask them for their company name and address for 'my letter to the Attorney General'. I think I'll try that next.

Re: Telephone scam keeps calling back...very frust

A little something I have tried:
    Once you answer and know it is the same (or another) scam, Firmly announce that the phone call is being recorded for evidence in the civil and criminal suit you are filing against them. Doesn't matter that it may be a lie. After all, they are lying to you about your membership and it's fake cancellation fee.
    Chances are, the people calling actually work for a call center that place sales calls for the scam. They are trained to hang up if they come across ANY friction during the call, and recording them is equivalent to a huge piece of sandpaper to them!!
    You can put your number on the national do not call list at:
    https://www.donotcall.gov/register/reg.aspx

I have, and it works. But remember, if you sign up for something online or elsewhere after registering on the do not call list and submit your phone number, you will recieve calls from the company you sent your number too and their affiliates as well.

Thanks OneQuestion.

Here's how I got them to stop:(I cut and pasted this from an entry I posted on a fantasy football message board)

I get a call from some Indian guy wanting to sign us up for an online business to business directory. I alway tell them "No" and hang up. Today I get one of these calls, listen to him('John', yeah, right) tell me for $39.95 we can have the same listing as we did last year(no I didn't), but now the $39.95 is good for two years. I ask him if it is only for the internet, and he says it is in the yellow book also. I say "No thanks" and hang up.

He calls right back asking why I hung up on him. I decide to call him out on it and ask him what catagory am I under. He says "bookdealers", I open the book and I am not there. He says he doesn't know why I cannot find my store there, and says he can direct me to my listing online. "www.oypgpyguide.com" or some such thing. I say again, "No thanks" and hang up.

He calls back! I say I do not want this service. So, he says "Thats fine, sir. I will mail you an invoice for $500.00 for the cancellation fee." I gave a hearty laugh and hung up.

He calls back again. He wants to know what name to file the cancellation fee under. I tell him there is no way in hell we'll pay that. He says to never mind, he will put it in the mail today with my name. I laugh again, and then he hangs up.

$500.00?? :yelcutelaughA: :rotz:
    When he asked what name to send the cancellation fee under, you should have brought up the old middle school quote: Your Mama! lol Bet he would have seen red!
    All these scammers and the call centers they hire seem to do is threaten people. Kinda sad really.