+ Reply to Thread

Has anyone subscribed to Dennis Slothower?

If you havent heard about him, google it, it seems real (like most scam sites do) and too good to be true but I have been looking for people online to find out if they have used it and even used Yahoo answers to ask, nobody has heard of it. He talks about picking "Stealth Stocks"

Re: Has anyone subscribed to Dennis Slothower?

Quote Originally Posted by super_mario View Post
    If you havent heard about him, google it, it seems real (like most scam sites do) and too good to be true but I have been looking for people online to find out if they have used it and even used Yahoo answers to ask, nobody has heard of it. He talks about picking "Stealth Stocks"
    I somehow, by mistake, though I don't recall doing so, subscribed to his news letter. He hit my card for $99. Wrote for a refund. To date have received NO word back.

Skip Cook

I think it would be appropriate to call Mr. Slothower an enthusiastic self-promoter. I wish him well, but this neutral article says it all, he's just an ordinary. This article tracks several years of his performance, and while lengthy, should be a must-read before handing over your capital.

From: http://www.cxoadvisory.com/individua...nis-slothower/

Last Updated: May 5, 2011

Guru Accuracy Rating
    45%
    This is below average.
    Current guru average is 48%

We evaluate here the stock market commentary of Dennis Slothower via Zacks.com and MarketWatch.com since June 2002. Dennis Slothower, who is editor of the Stealth Stocks and On the Money newsletters. According to Stealth Stocks, Mr. Slothower “is an absolute master at taking into account how world news – the true ‘market-moving events’ – will impact each and every investment in his trading portfolio.” The table below extracts highlights from this commentary and shows the performance of the S&P 500 index over the 5, 21, 63 and 254 trading days after the publication date for each item. Red plus (minus) signs to the right of specific items indicate those that the market has subsequently proven right (wrong). We conclude that:
    • Dennis Slothower relies on a combination of technical and fundamental factors in forecasting stock market behavior. He emphasizes the importance of crude oil prices and money supply to the stock market.
    • With respect to market timing, Mr. Slothower did fairly well in recognizing the market bottom in late 2002 but was slow by several months in committing fully to the 2003 upswing. Similarly, he avoided the crash in 2008-2009 but did not commit to the ensuing rebound. On short to intermediate term calls, he is sometimes right and sometimes wrong.
    • One of his forecasts proved to be about equally right and wrong, so we evaluated it “0″ and graded him both right and wrong.
    • Dennis Slothower’s forecast sample is moderate, as is confidence in the measurement of his accuracy.

Here are additional notes to augment the tabular summary below:
    From Peter Brimelow in MarketWatch (11/1/10): “…Stealth Stocks is up a solid 2.7% annualized over the nine…years it has been followed by the Hulbert Financial Digest, compared to 1.9% annualized for the dividend-reinvested Wilshire 5000 Total Stock Market Index. But over the over the last five…years, it is up 4.6% annualized vs. negative 0.5% for the total return Wilshire 5000.”

From Peter Brimelow in MarketWatch (2/1/10): “…over the past 12 months, Stealth Stock Daily Alert is up only 2.1% by Hulbert Financial Digest count, compared to 28.3% for the dividend-reinvested Wilshire 5000 Total Stock Market Index. Still, over the past three years, Slothower is up an annualized 3.93% against negative 5.25% annualized for the total return Wilshire 5000.And over the past five years, the letter was up an annualized 3.45%, versus just 0.93% annualized for the total return Wilshire 5000.”

From Tim Smith in MarketWatch (7/24/09): “From January 1995, when the Hulbert Financial Digest began tracking his service, until the end of October 2007…his service modestly lagged the Wilshire 5000. It returned an annualized 8.9%, vs. 11.9% for the Wilshire. Slothower, however, went mostly into cash around that high… From November 2007 to June 2009, his service’s T-bill position has returned a positive annualized 0.5%, while the Wilshire 5000 has lost 24.7%.”

From Peter Brimelow in MarketWatch (12/4/08): “…over the past three years, during which the total return DJ-Wilshire 5,000 has lost negative 8.93% annualized, Stealth Stocks Daily Alert has achieved a annualized gain of 5.16% by Hulbert Financial Digest count; Stealth Stocks has achieved 6.6% annualized and On the Money has achieved 1.99% annualized. …over the past five years, Stealth Stocks has achieved an annualized gain of 2.47%, vs. negative 1.16% annualized for the total return DJ-W 5,000. And over the past 10 years, On The Money has achieved an annualized gain of 5.71%, vs. a 0.19% annualized loss for the total return DJ-W.”

STAY AWAY. And particularly avoid any FREE offers. He will not cancel after your trial. Be prepared to dispute charges.

Quote Originally Posted by super_mario View Post
    Indeed, sounds too good to be true. This has now been marked on Web of Trust, which is a non-profit web organization dedicated to helping people avoid scam sites. Not a spam for them by the way; check it out if you like. I believe this is a variation on the penny stock theme anyway. Grumpy