+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

anyone familiar with e-checks or insticheck?

I posted an ad on craigslist to sell a vehicle. A guy has responded to my post and agreed to purchase the vehicle but wants to use e-check as a form of payment. From my understanding he sends a check via e-mail and I print it out using some check document paper and I am able to go to his bank and cash it. I am not familiar with this form of payment and therefore not
    comfortable with it. Has anyone ever used this form of payment before? Is this some sort of scam?

Re: anyone familiar with e-checks or insticheck?

Unfortunatly I am not familiar with insticheck either, however I thought it was interesting because I too listed on craigslist and this morning someone tried to pay me the same way, I was also uncomfortable, so I searched the web and ran across your post. Was this person possibly Barry Johnson, did he seem very urgent to buy your car?????? This person gave me a link to the www.insticheck.com, it looks legit, but I'm still no sure what to think. oh, and another thing you post was dated 8/21/07, I was contacted 8/22/07 just seems strange. And Ive told this person to call me personally 3 times and no phone call, so that further makes me suspicous, Good luck and be carefull.

Mr. Jones,
    I did find another post were some recieved an almost identical email as I did and it was a scam I will post a link to it. http://www.electrolund.com/2007/08/m...-scam-baiting/

hope this helps, I won't be accepting any insticheck.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesjones
    I posted an ad on craigslist to sell a vehicle. A guy has responded to my post and agreed to purchase the vehicle but wants to use e-check as a form of payment. From my understanding he sends a check via e-mail and I print it out using some check document paper and I am able to go to his bank and cash it. I am not familiar with this form of payment and therefore not
    comfortable with it. Has anyone ever used this form of payment before? Is this some sort of scam?
    Of COURSE it is a scam, do you honestly believe complete strangers email you with an offer to send you a check for your car sight unseen? I can send you all the bogus "e-checks" you like and each and every one will be worth exactly the same as the one you'll get from the scammer, NOTHING.

Then he will want you to send HIM some money (or his buddy). So instead of SELLING your car you'll end up sending YOUR money to a COMPLETE STRANGER who lives in Nigeria.

That's in Africa.

In case you didn't know.

Wise up.

I got the same offer on my truck. I told the guy to put his happy ass on a plane and fly down here to pick it up. If he wants the truck so bad it should not be an issue. Guy said he was from New York City.

Get a rope.

Anyway, I had 18 replies on my CL truck ad and of that, only 2 people have bothered to show up to look at it. Two more promised to be here at such-and-such a time, neither showed. The rest were SCAMS of one form or another, except for the one guy offered $500 (it's selling for $1000 and scrap value is $600). I told him where to go and the scammers can all suck it.

Barry Johnson from New Jersey strikes again!
    Insticheck.
    This time for a post on Craigslist for at the end of August 07.
    He said he was deaf.
    Then, was in an accident.
    Then he had come back from the doctor.
    Too bad, it seems like Insticheck is a legit company, and their business is now being hurt by these scammers.
    The kharma wheel's going to come back and hit him firmly in the jaw. I think they call that dharma.

Yep. The Barry Johnson from New Jersey scam. I just posted on Craig's List (Oct 2007) and received the same stuff: just had an accident, can't call because he's deaf, will add $50 to price of car to cover cost of printing Business Check Paper, wants me to use Echeck at www.insticheck.com. Scam.

Barry Johnson from New Jersey contacted me about my truck in California, it is also listed on Craigslist. Same story as above.

WOW! I just stumbled accross this website after recieving my own offer to buy my craigslist truck with an insticheck. Looks like this guy is back at it. He has changed his name to Tuan Phan and has added some broken English, calling Craigs List "craigs web" (who does that?!) but he is still living in New Jersey, is still def and by golly this man must have the worst luck because he just got out of the hospital again!

The guy now seems to be in Rhode Island. I was immediately suspicious of the guy and asked why he couldn't use paypal and that seems to be the end of it.

Jim

Is this legit ??

Hello Just view your advert on craigs web,I am willing to purchase the item asap.I hope its still avaliable for sales?I will like to know your last asking> price for it and also the present conditions of it?Please get back to me today via email so that we can proceed further. You can call my friend phone 856-393-4528,we stay together cause i am> deaf.His name is Barry. Best Regards> Tuan Phan.

Sounds Good
    Thanks for your prompt response to my email,i am okay with your asking price.I will like to proceed with payment today while my shipping co will handle the pick up as i have other goods to be picked.I will informed thier C.E.O to pick the goods altogether, when you must have gotten your cash at hand.I would have loved to make a cash payment or mail a check to your home address today but due to the nature of my business as an aircraft attendant with the fact that i am moving so i have just my echeck account left to opperate. I am in no rush to pick up the item till funds are clear at the bank.As there are too many scams on internet as regards buying and selling with large bogus account.My mode of payment will be via Electronic Check drawn on .(Bank Of America).Electronic Cashier checks is fast and secure.You will probarbly need a business check paper to print and cash or deposit the check today.The business check paper is sold for $20 at any stationery store,staples or at your local office supply outlet.I will add the cost of supplies to your asking price with an extra offer for accepting my mode of payment.I will need your name and address with valid email address to send the Echeck to your email which you can print immediately when you must have purchase the supplies at staples or any stationery store.Kindly delete the advert of this item if my mode of payment is accepted.I will await your email asap.You can call my phone 856-393-4528,if i am unable to pick the call please drop a massage i will get back to you asap.
    Thanks.

Someone claiming to be in Iowa (the time stamp on the e-mail was Pacific Standard Time) tried the "insticheck" scam to buy the telescope I've listed on CL.... wrote back and said no, but I will accept a Western Union cash transfer. I am quite certain I won't be hearing back from [email protected] again.

the scam-mail:
    Thanks i got all information i needed about the AD , and i will like to buy it for $2850. I am presently located in lowa and we have a private shipper that will come to pick it up after you must have received cash from your bank.Our mode of payment will be via electronic cashier check. Echeck is simple, secured, legal, fast and it is setup to eliminate the stress of putting check in mail for days. .All you need to do is to get a business check paper for $20. Once you have the business check paper i will send the secured link to print out the electronic check to your email for printing. You can then print and proceed to clear and cash the check at your bank. The cost of procuring the business check paper will be added to the bottom price.
    Please visit http://web.archive.org/web/200412041...m/Download.htm to get more info on echeck,you can get business check paper at office depot, officemax, staples or any stationary store wal-mart shopping moll around. I will be waiting to read from you soon.
    Thanks
    Last edited by becca_cet; 01-09-2008 at 09:34 AM.

Only safeway that I know to except a e-check is via paypal they hold it intil the funds are clear and then just eft to your bank account on file and its done but fyi anyone wanting to go to the trouble to ship a car that isnt a classic or anything real high end is a scam sell on cl a bentley or something and it could quickly become legit with all the collectors from around the world etc.

Thanks for all the great info everyone. Barry Johnson hit today. I put the phone number in Google and found out he's a SCAMMER. Actually I think I new the second I read his crappy letter. I will be reporting him to the FTC. This is very illegal. Anyone that had contact with him should report also. Hopefully no one falls for this. Here's a link to the FTC. www.ftc.gov)

I've been talking to this "TUAN PHAN" the last two days...he's trying to pay $12,000 for a car without asking any questions. The number he gave me is a California number, the address he gave is also California. He wants to pay via cashiers or personal checks. Broken English was how he sounded in a voicemail.
    Is there anything we can do to get him caught? I posted a blog, if anyone wants to reply there, too.

I have been emailing this Tuan Phan about purchasing a set of Roland electric drums. He has even sent me the e-check, then I decided to search and found this site. THANKS! I thought something didn't sound quite right. I believe it is the amount of the sale, not the item that keeps him interested. I was wanting $3200 for the drums and he did not negotiate at all. That was the second alarm. I'll be returning the box of checks that i purchased at Office Max.