+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your Birthday Star.

Finding your birthday star...

http://outreach.jach.hawaii.edu/birthstars/year.php

My Birthday Star:

Your birthday star is in the constellation Eridanus. It is called 58 Eridani in the Historia Cœlestis Britannica of John Flamsteed and Edmund Halley. It is called NS 0447-1656 in the NStars database.

It has visual magnitude 5.47 meaning that you could just see this star with the naked eye under the best viewing conditions. It is marked in the center of this star chart, at celestial coordinates (J2000 equinox):
    Right ascension 4:47:36.3
    Declination -16:56:4

This star is 43.4 light years away, which means that the light we see from it today set off on its journey at about the same time that you were born. Come back in a month or two and your birthday star may change, as the light from more distant stars reaches Earth.

Who knows where this star is?

Please don't shoot the piano player, he's doing the best he can.

Author’s emoticons KOLOBOK-Style

Re: Your Birthday Star.

Johann Bayer's Uranometria star catalog. It is called NS 0025-7715 in the NStars database.

It has visual magnitude 2.8 meaning that you could see this star with the naked eye in good viewing conditions. It is marked in the center of this star chart, at celestial coordinates (J2000 equinox):

Right ascension 0:25:45.1
    Declination -77:15:15.2

This star is 24.4 light years away, which means that the light we see from it today set off on its journey at about the same time that you were born. Come back in a month or two and your birthday star may change, as the light from more distant stars reaches Earth.

http://outreach.jach.hawaii.edu/birthstars/maps/166.gif
    "Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held. Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin. Believe nothing just because someone else believes it. Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true."

I couldn't figure out how to paste my results...

But...

My B-day star is known commonly as Capella,

It is called NS 0516+4559A in the NStars database.

It has a visual magnitude of 0.7 meaning it is one of the brightest stars in the sky!

Bir, this was a great activity, thanks!

As an aside, did you know...that on your 30th birthday, the light from Venus that left the planet on the day of your birth has reached the earth thirty years later...If you are into it, that day is the best for having your starcharts read...So I hear...

Quote Originally Posted by BiR
    Finding your birthday star...

Who knows where this star is?
    PS, I know where that star is!

Your birthday star is in the constellation Dorado. It has the name æ (Zeta) Doradus in Johann Bayer's Uranometria star catalog. It is called NS 0505-5728 in the NStars database.

It has visual magnitude 4.68 meaning that you could just see this star with the naked eye under the best viewing conditions. It is marked in the center of this star chart, at celestial coordinates (J2000 equinox):

Right ascension 5:5:30.7
    Declination -57:28:21.8

This star is 38.0 light years away, which means that the light we see from it today set off on its journey at about the same time that you were born. Come back in a month or two and your birthday star may change, as the light from more distant stars reaches Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by jigglepete
    PS, I know where that star is!
    Well... What about it? :rolleyes: I'll buy a chocolate for you... :D Is this on southern hemisphere or northern? Don't keep me in suspense. ;)

Please don't shoot the piano player, he's doing the best he can.

Author’s emoticons KOLOBOK-Style

Well, I noticed the constellation Orion the Hunter, just above and to the left of your star, So, I will have to say northern hemi...I live in the North East US, and I am thinking, Orion is going to be visible soon, and getting higher in the sky as fall approaches.

What is the best Russian chocolate :D

Oh, and Bir, I read in the paper yesterday, and a story said, that somewhere in Russia, the local government gave everyone the day off for...PROCREATION :eek: Is this true, do they really give prizes in nine months if you birth a "patriot?" How is the housing market in this region? :D

Oh, and Bir, I read in the paper yesterday, and a story said, that somewhere in Russia, the local government gave everyone the day off for...PROCREATION :eek: Is this true, do they really give prizes in nine months if you birth a "patriot?"
    If you don't have nobody to procreate with, will they assign you a hot young thing? :D

But seriously, I just ordered a telescope that should be here in a couple weeks. Does anybody know of any good sites that can help a beginer find the constilations and planets?

Quote Originally Posted by carolinahound
    If you don't have nobody to procreate with, will they assign you a hot young thing? :D

But seriously, I just ordered a telescope that should be here in a couple weeks. Does anybody know of any good sites that can help a beginer find the constilations and planets?
    Hey c-hound, I don't know about websites, maybe sky and telescope magazine's site?

As far as books, there is but one (that I use) and that is NightWatch A Practical Guide to Viewing the Universe It has charts of every significant celestial event through 2010 and if they are on more than the third edition (the one I have) it will go further into the future.

And if that doesn't work just ask what you want to find and we'll go from there!

Cool, I'll look for that book. And I may hit you up when I get the telescope. Thanks. :)

Out of curiosity, what kind of scope are you ordering?

Out of curiosity, what kind of scope are you ordering?
    It's a Celestron PowerSeeker 50 Astronomical Telescope. I got it with coke rewards since they ran out of what I was saving my points for. I thought the kids and I could have some fun with it.
    Here's a link to the info on it. Probably won't be able to see much with it, but if we get interested, I'll fork out some money for a better one.
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/celestro...telescope.html

a nintendo super scope?

Quote Originally Posted by Spamma Scammer
    a nintendo super scope?
    Yea, that's it. :D

Quote Originally Posted by carolinahound
    It's a Celestron PowerSeeker 50 Astronomical Telescope. I got it with coke rewards since they ran out of what I was saving my points for. I thought the kids and I could have some fun with it.
    Here's a link to the info on it. Probably won't be able to see much with it, but if we get interested, I'll fork out some money for a better one.
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/celestro...telescope.html
    I checked out the link, I think you picked a very good starter scope. I own a Celestron but it is a terrestrial spotting scope, the C90. Still, you will be able to see some amazing things in the sky, plus you could really do some great land viewing with it...And with a price like that (coke rewards) you better appreciate it :D

I checked out the link, I think you picked a very good starter scope. I own a Celestron but it is a terrestrial spotting scope, the C90. Still, you will be able to see some amazing things in the sky, plus you could really do some great land viewing with it...And with a price like that (coke rewards) you better appreciate it :D
    what is it like for perving? is it any good? :)