+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work... User Rank

National Symbols.

Most every Nation has an animal, bird or mythological creature as a "power-symbol".
    Here are some. Pehaps you would like to participate by providing others not listed here:

United States of America: The Bald-Eagle. Benjamin Franklin wanted it to be the Turkey! :rolleyes:
    Actually, this particular Eagle is not bald but has white feathers on it's head. I suppose this designation was given before someone was able to get a good close-up look at this creature.

Russian Republic: The Bear.

Great Britian: THe Red Lion.

Checkoslovikian Republic: The Double Headed Black-Eagle.

Ireland: The Lyre; an ancient musical instrument similiar to a Harp.

Scotland: The Milk-Thistle; the Lavender Flowered Thistle.

France: The Fluer-de-Lis; the Iris. There's an interesting story behind this symbol. Not to be related here. However, this flower was credited with saving the few remaining French Royalty after a battle while they were being pursued.

Australia: The Kohala Bear.

China: The Dragon.

Norway: A viking Battle-Axe, I think...

What are some othes? Do others here know? What stories do you know relating to these symbols. WHy were they chosen and so designated?

Re: National Symbols.

I remembered another National Symbol; Canada: The Beaver.
    Also, Mexico: An Eagle perched on a Cactus Plant with a Snake in its talons.
    Also, I think India is the Brahma Bull - a White one.

I always thought the US's power animal was the groundhog. I know Japan's power animal is the Mogwai :p

Quote Originally Posted by Spamma Scammer
    I always thought the US's power animal was the groundhog. I know Japan's power animal is the Mogwai :p
    I can understand why you have this impression as there is much fuss and excitement every Groundhog day as it is suggested that this animal, depending upon its activity at that certain time of year; nearly the end of Winter, but not yet Spring, can fortell if SPring is near or six more weeks of WInter. Meaning the harsh, cold stuff. They dress up in tuxedos and silk top-hats and have much oratory from "distuinguished speakers" speakers, present for the occasion. THey have a special, particular Groundhog that they access for the occasion. Even have a name for him.
    But no, he's not our national symbol animal.
    Also, Japan; what is a Mogwai? I have never heard of that. But then, there is of course a lot of things I have yeat to hear about and learn about! :)
    regards...

Mogwais are mammals. They can be nice but they can also be vicious little critters. They average about fourteen inches in height and are very hairy. They are hard to come by these days but if you do manage to get one, you must remember these simple rules...

Keep them away from bright light!- they don't like it

Do not get them wet wet!- all hell can break loose

Do not feed them after midnight!

Mogwais are mammals. They can be nice but they can also be vicious little critters. They average about fourteen inches in height and are very hairy. They are hard to come by these days but if you do manage to get one, you must remember these simple rules...

Keep them away from bright light!- they don't like it

Do not get them wet wet!- all hell can break loose

Do not feed them after midnight!
    Okay, so it's obviously a ruse!

Quote Originally Posted by coontie
    Okay, so it's obviously a ruse!
    havent you seen Gremlins?

Russian Republic: The Bear...
    ...What are some othes? Do others here know? What stories do you know relating to these symbols. WHy were they chosen and so designated?
    The bear is a natural symbol, embodiment of character of Russia, its history, the nature, etc.

Obviously, the version that the eagle is not our Russian symbol, and the two-headed Byzantian agent who has flown to us in days of Sofia Paleolog, has found the admirers. Our symbol - other.

The bear - is strong, furious, terrible. At the same time the bear, in the general opinion, is not too courageous - anyway, here it concedes to the wolf. There is also a saying: the God has not given a bear of the wolf boldness, and the wolf of the bear force! Also it (the bear Is strong, yes in a bog lays) is lazy, and ... On any strange concurrence even our national relation to work is expressed in an image clumsy: Business not a bear, in a wood will not leave...

From all wood living creatures the bear was closest to the person. The bear in Russia - something like tsar of animals, similarly to a lion in Africa or to a tiger in India, he is an owner of Russian wood. And with the owner in Russia it's always respected. So, and a bear: the Owner in the house, that a bear in a pine forest.

Quintessence of idyllic representations about a bear - the Soviet cartoon films. There a bear almost always kind and fair. However, here there is also other, not household, hierarchical moment: a bear - the Supreme arbitrator, authority in a wood, it - the supreme court, and as the hierarch as the representative of the Supreme authority, it cannot have other shape, except for especially positive.

Though a bear, certainly, an animal not political. In the late autumn and in the winter, that is during the hottest political period when at us elections and revolutions, it{he} sleeps in the den. And a paw sucks. If it does not do this - a bear-rod, - that represents doubtless danger to all alive.

So, Russian bear is terrible and disgusting, when it's very wild. Also it is quite comprehensible, clever and obedient, when it is tamed by the person. So, as a matter of fact, a metaphor " Russian bear " can carry both frightening, and pacifying character...

PS. Sorry for clumsy translation. If anybody want more, click here
    http://www.ng.ru/style/1999-12-07/16_bear.html
    but this article in Russian... ;)

Please don't shoot the piano player, he's doing the best he can.

Author’s emoticons KOLOBOK-Style

Thanks Boris, that is good. We respect the Russian Bear! It represents a nation of good human beings that are mostly just desiring and working at making as good a life for theirself as possible, same as we.

The dragon is also the power animal for wales which has something to do with George and the dragon. :)

The dragon is also the power animal for wales which has something to do with George and the dragon. :)

what do you suppose this "Dragon' stuff was all about? Such as the idea of Knights riding out to slay a Dragon.
    Do you think these "Dragons" were in fact left-over small Dinosaur type reptiles? Justy curious what other people think, know about this.
    Same thing about the nation of China and the Dragons in their ancient heritage...

Legend without a cause

Legend without a cause
    welll, I must say that is intuitive and informative input?

Legend without a cause
    maybe "legend"(cruise) explains the cause!?and if "mogwai" are in,so are "critters"!?that is if you live on the "forbidden planet"hehe!!....just askn...
    Last edited by lexx; 08-12-2007 at 11:55 AM.
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

welll, I must say that is intuitive and informative input?
    I was referring to the dragon legend and what it's there for?

OK!?...there's no sense in overexplainin it!?.....hehe!!....just askn...
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you