+ Reply to Thread

Lunar Eclipse August 28

There's going to be a total lunar eclipse on August 28th. It will be visible from the United States, Australia, and Asia (pretty much anyone bordering the pacific). If you're in western USA you'll get a view of the whole show, if you're in the east you'll miss out on the end but will still see the moon eclipsed. During a lunar eclipse the moon does not dissappear, rather it turns a deep shade of red, as the red sunlight refracts through Earth's atmosphere and illuminates it.

If you're in Australia the eclipse starts at 6:50pm and ends at 10:24pm. If you're in America the ecplise starts about 1am PDT and finishes about 5am PDT. It's one of the few astronomical events that are best viewed with the naked eye, so if you can, get out of the city, find a nice dark sky and watch the show. There won't be another chance for over 3 years.

For more info about the eclipse, and about eclipses in general:
    http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclips...2007Aug28.html

Re: Lunar Eclipse August 28

Quote Originally Posted by kazza
    There's going to be a total lunar eclipse on August 28th. It will be visible from the United States, Australia, and Asia (pretty much anyone bordering the pacific). If you're in western USA you'll get a view of the whole show, if you're in the east you'll miss out on the end but will still see the moon eclipsed. During a lunar eclipse the moon does not dissappear, rather it turns a deep shade of red, as the red sunlight refracts through Earth's atmosphere and illuminates it.

If you're in Australia the eclipse starts at 6:50pm and ends at 10:24pm. If you're in America the ecplise starts about 1am PDT and finishes about 5am PDT. It's one of the few astronomical events that are best viewed with the naked eye, so if you can, get out of the city, find a nice dark sky and watch the show. There won't be another chance for over 3 years.

For more info about the eclipse, and about eclipses in general:
    http://<br /> http://sunearth.gsfc....2007Aug28.html
    Hey John, Welcome back! I will of course be expecting a full report... This month is going to be a wiz-banger for astronomers! Not only do we have the total eclipse, but as well, Mars is going to be really large in the sky (no, not the size of another moon, but still, impressive...) nearing the end of the month, but #1 for night sky fun will be the perciid meteor shower. I have the specific details at home though...

Anyway, welcome back again. Pete :)

Quote Originally Posted by jigglepete
    Hey John, Welcome back! I will of course be expecting a full report... This month is going to be a wiz-banger for astronomers! Not only do we have the total eclipse, but as well, Mars is going to be really large in the sky (no, not the size of another moon, but still, impressive...) nearing the end of the month, but #1 for night sky fun will be the perciid meteor shower. I have the specific details at home though...

Anyway, welcome back again. Pete :)
    Oh don't worry, you'll get a full report :D. Only problem is I don't know where to start, there's so much I've seen and done in 6 weeks, I'll have to try to condense it down to something manageable.

Unfortunately the Perciid shower isn't visible from Australia, but let me know how it goes, it peaks in a few days I think.

Welcome back..hope you had an eventful trip...waiting to read all about it. Thanks for the heads up on the eclipse.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap070308.html

the moon is red! the Gods are angry ahhh! :eek: :D
    "Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held. Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin. Believe nothing just because someone else believes it. Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true."