+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christ

Fizban "The Fabulous" Guest

Christ

What does Christ mean ?

Why was Jesus anointed on the head ?

What does the word lord mean. (originally)
    Last edited by Fizban "The Fabulous"; 07-29-2007 at 02:24 PM.

Re: Christ

Quote Originally Posted by Fizban "The Fabulous"
    What does Christ mean ?

Why do you ask about what Messiah and Kurios means?

Do you wish to trust in Christ as your Savior?

(just curious)

LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings. User Rank

"Do you wish to trust in Christ as your Savior?"

How would you get that from his questions?...why would you ask that?

Quote Originally Posted by LogicallyYours
    "Do you wish to trust in Christ as your Savior?"

How would you get that from his questions?...why would you ask that?

You're making the presumption that I myself can't ask questions.

Why do you believe that?

It is one possibility that the reason why the dude with the hat wants to know about what the word Christ and Lord means is because he sincerely wants to know - specifically, he may actually take a genuine interest in who Christ is.

It is also possible that his intent is to attack Christianity; he's just setting things up.

It is also a third possibility that Fiz is about to begin a dialogue in a subject that he knows nothing about, but he thinks he does.

Who knows. But Fizban knows his own motives, you and I don't know precisely. All I can do is discern - based on his previous posts - the questions he asks.

And I'm allowed to do that.
    Last edited by EveryKnee; 07-30-2007 at 07:43 AM.

LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings. User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by EveryKnee

Why do you believe that?

It is one possibility that the reason why the dude with the hat wants to know about what the word Christ and Lord means is because he sincerely wants to know - specifically, he may actually take a genuine interest in who Christ is.

It is also possible that his intent is to attack Christianity; he's just setting things up.

It is also a third possibility that Fiz is about to begin a dialogue in a subject that he knows nothing about, but he thinks he does.

Who knows. But Fizban knows his own motives, you and I don't know precisely. All I can do is discern - based on his previous posts - the questions he asks.

I made no assumption. You can ask what you like. What I wanted to know was, why was his accepting Christ germane to the questions he ask you?

"It is also a third possibility that Fiz is about to begin a dialogue in a subject that he knows nothing about, but he thinks he does."....Now who is making an assumption?

Perhaps he does knows more than you about the topic

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

What does Christ mean ?

Geez, can't you guys just simply answer the questions. Fizban, I'm not sure I'll be 100% correct but I'll try.

1)
    Definition of Christ: The Messiah, as foretold by the prophets of the Hebrew Scriptures. Often used with the.

2)
    The Anointed; an appellation given to Jesus, the Savior. It is synonymous with the Hebrew Messiah.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

3)

christ - Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary :

Christ
    anointed, the Greek translation of the Hebrew word rendered
    "Messiah" (q.v.), the official title of our Lord, occurring five
    hundred and fourteen times in the New Testament. It denotes that
    he was anointed or consecrated to his great redemptive work as
    Prophet, Priest, and King of his people. He is Jesus the Christ
    (Acts 17:3; 18:5; Matt. 22:42), the Anointed One. He is thus
    spoken of by Isaiah (61:1), and by Daniel (9:24-26), who styles
    him "Messiah the Prince."

The Messiah is the same person as "the seed of the woman"
    (Gen. 3:15), "the seed of Abraham" (Gen. 22:18), the "Prophet
    like unto Moses" (Deut. 18:15), "the priest after the order of
    Melchizedek" (Ps. 110:4), "the rod out of the stem of Jesse"
    (Isa. 11:1, 10), the "Immanuel," the virgin's son (Isa. 7:14),
    "the branch of Jehovah" (Isa. 4:2), and "the messenger of the
    covenant" (Mal. 3:1). This is he "of whom Moses in the law and
    the prophets did write." The Old Testament Scripture is full of
    prophetic declarations regarding the Great Deliverer and the
    work he was to accomplish. Jesus the Christ is Jesus the Great
    Deliverer, the Anointed One, the Saviour of men. This name
    denotes that Jesus was divinely appointed, commissioned, and
    accredited as the Saviour of men (Heb. 5:4; Isa. 11:2-4; 49:6;
    John 5:37; Acts 2:22).

To believe that "Jesus is the Christ" is to believe that he is
    the Anointed, the Messiah of the prophets, the Saviour sent of
    God, that he was, in a word, what he claimed to be. This is to
    believe the gospel, by the faith of which alone men can be
    brought unto God. That Jesus is the Christ is the testimony of
    God, and the faith of this constitutes a Christian (1 Cor. 12:3;
    1 John 5:1).

Mark 14: 3

3 And being in Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, as he sat at meat, there came a woman having an alabaster box of ointment of spikenard very precious; and she brake the box, and poured it on his head.

There are two explanations of why Jesus was annointed on the head:

The anointing of Jesus is performed in accordance with the traditional anointing of kings — appropriate, if one believes that Jesus was the king of the Jews. Jesus entered Jerusalem in royal fashion and would be mocked as king later before his crucifixion.

An alternative interpretation is offered by Jesus himself at the end of the passage, though, when he observes that she he anointing his body before “the burying.” This would have been read as a foreshadowing of Jesus’ execution, at least by Mark’s audience.

Definition of the word Lord

Lord
    n 1: the Judeo-Christian God [syn: Godhead, Lord, Creator,
    Maker, Divine, God Almighty, Almighty, Jehovah]

2: a person who has general authority over others [syn: overlord,
    master] One who has power and authority; a master; a ruler; a
    governor; a prince; a proprietor, as of a manor.

3: a titled peer of the realm [syn: Lord, noble, nobleman]
    [ant: Lady, Lady]

And then there is this Athiest guys interesting explanation: (His arguments make very little sense, but he's an athiest trying to explain Christianity. That pretty much explains it all. But I put it here for a voice from the opposite camp.

Throughout Ingersoll's works he refers to Jesus mainly as "Christ", believed to be a title of honor and majesty. But the real definition of the word "Christ", explained as to its importance, shows it was not a title at all and so destroys the beliefs of those who consider themselves Christians. "Christ", from the Greek "krist" means only to anoint. (Anoint. To smear or pour oil or ointment on the head or body of a person or an object). So why wasn't Jesus called "Anointed", "Jesus Anointed" or "Anointed Jesus"?

Anointing was a ceremony, a ritual, recognizing a person as deserving of a certain title. Queen Elizabeth was anointed by the Arch Bishop of Canterbury. He rubbed some oil on her forehead, before an audience, and pronounced her the rightful Queen of the United Kingdom. Note; she is not called "Anointed", "Elizabeth Anointed" or "Anointed Elizabeth". She is addressed by her title "Queen", not the name of the ceremony recognizing her as queen.

Had the word "anointed" been used in place of "Christ", too many Bible readers would have realized Jesus had never been anointed and therefore was not to be considered the Messiah sent to the "Lost sheep of the house of Israel", the Jews. The only person who could have anointed Jesus as Messiah was Caiaphas, the high priest of the Jews that year. But Caiaphas, far from recognizing Jesus as the Messiah and anointing him, wanted him dead. (John 11:47-51).

John 11:48 says "If we let him thus alone, all men will believe on him: and the Romans shall come and take away both our place and nation".

So Caiaphas didn't anoint Jesus. Okay; so what about Acts 10:38 where it says "How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power..."? Did the god smear Jesus with the Holy Ghost" Did it smear him with power?

The way the claimed anointing was phrased shows it was either hearsay or made up by the writer long after Jesus' death. No one knows who wrote it anyway. Would not a god who sent it's son to a people let them know in a better way than a one-liner by an anonymous writer? And yet, one of the world's greatest religions hangs on that one unreliable comment by an unreliable, unknown author.

http://www.kurtsaxon.com/atheist001.htm

OK, now you can tell us what is on your mind. :D

Lady Mod

Who knows.

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
    The Shadow knows MwwwaaaahaaahaaHaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Quote Originally Posted by LogicallyYours
    I made no assumption. You can ask what you like. What I wanted to know was, why was his accepting Christ germane to the questions he ask you?

"It is also a third possibility that Fiz is about to begin a dialogue in a subject that he knows nothing about, but he thinks he does."....Now who is making an assumption?

Perhaps he does knows more than you about the topic
    I did use the word 'possibility' - I didn't say that he indeed would actually write something he didn't know anything about.

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    Geez, can't you guys just simply answer the questions. Fizban, I'm not sure I'll be 100% correct but I'll try.

1)
    Definition of Christ: The Messiah, as foretold by the prophets of the Hebrew Scriptures. Often used with the.

2)
    The Anointed; an appellation given to Jesus, the Savior. It is synonymous with the Hebrew Messiah.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

3)

christ - Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary :

Christ
    anointed, the Greek translation of the Hebrew word rendered
    "Messiah" (q.v.), the official title of our Lord, occurring five
    hundred and fourteen times in the New Testament. It denotes that
    he was anointed or consecrated to his great redemptive work as
    Prophet, Priest, and King of his people. He is Jesus the Christ
    (Acts 17:3; 18:5; Matt. 22:42), the Anointed One. He is thus
    spoken of by Isaiah (61:1), and by Daniel (9:24-26), who styles
    him "Messiah the Prince."

The Messiah is the same person as "the seed of the woman"
    (Gen. 3:15), "the seed of Abraham" (Gen. 22:18), the "Prophet
    like unto Moses" (Deut. 18:15), "the priest after the order of
    Melchizedek" (Ps. 110:4), "the rod out of the stem of Jesse"
    (Isa. 11:1, 10), the "Immanuel," the virgin's son (Isa. 7:14),
    "the branch of Jehovah" (Isa. 4:2), and "the messenger of the
    covenant" (Mal. 3:1). This is he "of whom Moses in the law and
    the prophets did write." The Old Testament Scripture is full of
    prophetic declarations regarding the Great Deliverer and the
    work he was to accomplish. Jesus the Christ is Jesus the Great
    Deliverer, the Anointed One, the Saviour of men. This name
    denotes that Jesus was divinely appointed, commissioned, and
    accredited as the Saviour of men (Heb. 5:4; Isa. 11:2-4; 49:6;
    John 5:37; Acts 2:22).

To believe that "Jesus is the Christ" is to believe that he is
    the Anointed, the Messiah of the prophets, the Saviour sent of
    God, that he was, in a word, what he claimed to be. This is to
    believe the gospel, by the faith of which alone men can be
    brought unto God. That Jesus is the Christ is the testimony of
    God, and the faith of this constitutes a Christian (1 Cor. 12:3;
    1 John 5:1).

Mark 14: 3

3 And being in Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, as he sat at meat, there came a woman having an alabaster box of ointment of spikenard very precious; and she brake the box, and poured it on his head.

There are two explanations of why Jesus was annointed on the head:

The anointing of Jesus is performed in accordance with the traditional anointing of kings — appropriate, if one believes that Jesus was the king of the Jews. Jesus entered Jerusalem in royal fashion and would be mocked as king later before his crucifixion.

An alternative interpretation is offered by Jesus himself at the end of the passage, though, when he observes that she he anointing his body before “the burying.” This would have been read as a foreshadowing of Jesus’ execution, at least by Mark’s audience.

Definition of the word Lord

Lord
    n 1: the Judeo-Christian God [syn: Godhead, Lord, Creator,
    Maker, Divine, God Almighty, Almighty, Jehovah]

2: a person who has general authority over others [syn: overlord,
    master] One who has power and authority; a master; a ruler; a
    governor; a prince; a proprietor, as of a manor.

3: a titled peer of the realm [syn: Lord, noble, nobleman]
    [ant: Lady, Lady]

And then there is this Athiest guys interesting explanation: (His arguments make very little sense, but he's an athiest trying to explain Christianity. That pretty much explains it all. But I put it here for a voice from the opposite camp.

Throughout Ingersoll's works he refers to Jesus mainly as "Christ", believed to be a title of honor and majesty. But the real definition of the word "Christ", explained as to its importance, shows it was not a title at all and so destroys the beliefs of those who consider themselves Christians. "Christ", from the Greek "krist" means only to anoint. (Anoint. To smear or pour oil or ointment on the head or body of a person or an object). So why wasn't Jesus called "Anointed", "Jesus Anointed" or "Anointed Jesus"?

Anointing was a ceremony, a ritual, recognizing a person as deserving of a certain title. Queen Elizabeth was anointed by the Arch Bishop of Canterbury. He rubbed some oil on her forehead, before an audience, and pronounced her the rightful Queen of the United Kingdom. Note; she is not called "Anointed", "Elizabeth Anointed" or "Anointed Elizabeth". She is addressed by her title "Queen", not the name of the ceremony recognizing her as queen.

Had the word "anointed" been used in place of "Christ", too many Bible readers would have realized Jesus had never been anointed and therefore was not to be considered the Messiah sent to the "Lost sheep of the house of Israel", the Jews. The only person who could have anointed Jesus as Messiah was Caiaphas, the high priest of the Jews that year. But Caiaphas, far from recognizing Jesus as the Messiah and anointing him, wanted him dead. (John 11:47-51).

John 11:48 says "If we let him thus alone, all men will believe on him: and the Romans shall come and take away both our place and nation".

So Caiaphas didn't anoint Jesus. Okay; so what about Acts 10:38 where it says "How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power..."? Did the god smear Jesus with the Holy Ghost" Did it smear him with power?

http://www.kurtsaxon.com/atheist001.htm

OK, now you can tell us what is on your mind. :D

Lady Mod

Thanks for doing some homework for us.

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

Thanks for doing some homework for us.

You're welcome, though it didn't take long. Maybe 10 minutes out of my morning. Now, to see what Fizban is gonna do with the information.

:rolleyes:

I did use the word 'possibility' - I didn't say that he indeed would actually write something he didn't know anything about.
    Yeah...nice side step. You even can't admit when you are caught. Pathetic

"Christ" is really "cristo" or "crisco," which means "oil," not anointed. The "Lord," originally spelled "Lard," is simply congealed crisco.

Go look in the oxford dictionary of the enlish language, look at the word lord.
    L O R D comes from the word L A R D. thats where it comes from thats how it was spelt in the kings English.

So Christ is really the congealed cristos which means oil --- Lard ---- Lord

So its Jesus the oil as he was anointed.

The kings of Israel was always anointed with holy oils.

The word anointed means in Hebrew ?

Basically the word anointed comes from sex.

You would be suprised how much sex is in entwined in ancient religion.

sex, drugs and rock and roll.

There is a huge amounts of words and terms and symbols.
    But you don't see that as the bible has been miss-represented.

The bible is symbolic. it should be on astrology and energy that we recieve and send out, that's what changes us and that's how we evolve.

According to Strongs Hebrew and Greek Dictionary which is built in to the e-Sword KJV Bible,

Christ comes from "Christos" (khris-tos') and means: anointed, that is, the Messiah, an epithet of Jesus: - Christ.

I guess it depends on who's dictionary you put your trust in.

Quote Originally Posted by Shnerdly
    According to Strongs Hebrew and Greek Dictionary which is built in to the e-Sword KJV Bible,

Christ comes from "Christos" (khris-tos') and means: anointed, that is, the Messiah, an epithet of Jesus: - Christ.

I guess it depends on who's dictionary you put your trust in.
    anointing was always used as a sexual symblism for penis/sex worshiping by the ancients.

look at the towers, temples and obelisk of those time.

Solomon's Temple

notice how the ark is kept in the head of the penis.

Whats it look like to you ?
    its the sex act.
    its a penis inside a vagina
    Last edited by Fizban "The Fabulous"; 07-31-2007 at 10:13 AM.

Why do you believe that?

i have 1 obvious nitpic with the statement "Fiz knows his own motives"!?this is a legal statement!?a denial of ignorance as an excuse!?hehe!!......just askn....
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

anointing was always used as a sexual symblism for penis/sex worshiping by the ancients.

look at the towers, temples and obelisk of those time.

Solomon's Temple

notice how the ark is kept in the head of the penis.

Whats it look like to you ?
    its the sex act.
    its a penis inside a vagina

FIZZ!!your a freakin genius!?just think what a think tank you and anti and solved and zilena and myself would make!?and i say this completely free of mind expanding substances!?even though it's killin me!?how long can i hold out!?hehe!!....just askn....
    Last edited by lexx; 07-31-2007 at 11:08 AM.
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you