+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 93

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    846

    A question for the Atheists

    Do the Atheists here think there could be a possibility of consciousness after death?
    I understand that evidence cannot be had or is not available yet at this time to support or deny it one way or the other. I want to know how you feel about the idea and why.

    Not trying to set anyone up here just asking a question. I myself have considered the idea of nothingness after death and to me, if it is true, then I certainly won't know the difference or care after I am gone. But then again I can't help but think there is still a possibility/probability that there may be more after death.
    Then again I am not beyond the idea that that is just wishful thinking.

    Just wondering. Not fishing for an argument or heated discussion just your opinion.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,773

    Re: A question for the Atheists

    Quote Originally Posted by Anti_thesisofreason
    Do the Atheists here think there could be a possibility of consciousness after death?
    I understand that evidence cannot be had or is not available yet at this time to support or deny it one way or the other. I want to know how you feel about the idea and why.

    Not trying to set anyone up here just asking a question. I myself have considered the idea of nothingness after death and to me, if it is true, then I certainly won't know the difference or care after I am gone. But then again I can't help but think there is still a possibility/probability that there may be more after death.
    Then again I am not beyond the idea that that is just wishful thinking.

    Just wondering. Not fishing for an argument or heated discussion just your opinion.

    Thanks.
    Hello AT,

    If there's no 'god', no creator (and hence a-theists), then the only other viable option really would have to be evolution.

    Now, how the atoms and molecules showed up at or before the big bang - well - I think that's already been discussed (with no proof).

    So, then question, to re-word it, is;
    Can man evolve into a creature which has a soul - with thought, emotions, will - that exists outside the body, even after death...?

    This, of course, would have to be outside the norm of physical, observable science.

    ****

    You know, and this is rather humorous, but I've met self-proclaimed atheists who said "I don't believe there's a 'god,' but I'm going to heaven."

    No God? No heaven.



    I'm inclined to think that the response you'll get will be "Of course not!", but we'll have to see where this goes.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    327

    Re: A question for the Atheists

    Now, how the atoms and molecules showed up at or before the big bang - well - I think that's already been discussed (with no proof).
    You need to do some reading up on the physics of the begining of the universe. Our knowledge about the formation from the point of the big bang is pretty much complete. And physicists are now formulating ideas about pre the BB, interesting times.
    Can man evolve into a creature which has a soul - with thought, emotions, will - that exists outside the body, even after death...?
    SOUL? Are your thoughts an indicator of a soul, your emotions? or WILL do these indicate a soul?
    Can you offer any proof that such a thing as a soul even exists, apart from you say so? I thought such a thing was indefinable.
    You know, and this is rather humorous, but I've met self-proclaimed atheists who said "I don't believe there's a 'god,' but I'm going to heaven."
    Maybe you were talking to agnostics.
    I'm inclined to think that the response you'll get will be "Of course not!", but we'll have to see where this goes
    A more appropriate response might be:
    I have no idea. But if there is be sure to pop back and let us know.
    And please, give my regards to the almighty if you see him.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    846

    Re: A question for the Atheists

    Quote Originally Posted by EveryKnee
    Hello AT,

    If there's no 'god', no creator (and hence a-theists), then the only other viable option really would have to be evolution.

    Now, how the atoms and molecules showed up at or before the big bang - well - I think that's already been discussed (with no proof).

    So, then question, to re-word it, is;
    Can man evolve into a creature which has a soul - with thought, emotions, will - that exists outside the body, even after death...?

    This, of course, would have to be outside the norm of physical, observable science.

    ****

    You know, and this is rather humorous, but I've met self-proclaimed atheists who said "I don't believe there's a 'god,' but I'm going to heaven."

    No God? No heaven.



    I'm inclined to think that the response you'll get will be "Of course not!", but we'll have to see where this goes.
    I didn't ask the question to debate evolution so lets not go there.
    I do not question the validity of evolution.

    I also don't think you have to give up one for the other. I have a healthy respect for science balanced with a spiritual path that does not require me to follow but instead requires me to discover for myself. Can I give empirical evidence pointing toward my spiritual beliefs? No I cannot, I'm not out to prove anything just asking a question.

    I am interested to see the response also.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    846

    Re: A question for the Atheists

    Quote Originally Posted by pancho
    A more appropriate response might be:
    I have no idea.
    Thanks Pancho.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,682

    Re: A question for the Atheists

    It's not impossible, but I'm not familiar with any evidence regarding a claim of consciousness after brain death.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,773

    Re: A question for the Atheists

    Quote Originally Posted by pancho
    You need to do some reading up on the physics of the begining of the universe. Our knowledge about the formation from the point of the big bang is pretty much complete. And physicists are now formulating ideas about pre the BB, interesting times.
    In a nutshell, please post these. I'll say Thanks ahead of time.

    Quote Originally Posted by pancho
    SOUL? Are your thoughts an indicator of a soul, your emotions? or WILL do these indicate a soul?
    Can you offer any proof that such a thing as a soul even exists, apart from you say so? I thought such a thing was indefinable.
    I offer no proof. Just information, to which the reader can take it by faith or leave it. But we've been there, done that.

    Quote Originally Posted by pancho
    .A more appropriate response might be:
    I have no idea. But if there is be sure to pop back and let us know.
    And please, give my regards to the almighty if you see him.
    If you have no idea, then sure.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,548

    Re: A question for the Atheists

    Anything's possible. But as with Mary being a virgin, the universe being created in a week, Jesus the son of god, etc., there is simply no evidence to suggest that we are anything but worm food after this life. No conciousness, no nothing except worm food.
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    327

    Re: A question for the Atheists

    In a nutshell, please post these
    Sorry but the universe didnt start life in a nutshell.
    faith or leave it.
    Yes exactly lets leave it.
    no idea, then sure
    Sure what? You'll pop back and tell us about it, or give my regards to the almighty?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    846

    Re: A question for the Atheists

    Quote Originally Posted by ianmatthews
    It's not impossible, but I'm not familiar with any evidence regarding a claim of consciousness after brain death.
    I'm not looking for evidence just opinion nothing more.

    Thanks for the input. :)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    846

    Re: A question for the Atheists

    Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    Anything's possible. But as with Mary being a virgin, the universe being created in a week, Jesus the son of god, etc., there is simply no evidence to suggest that we are anything but worm food after this life. No conciousness, no nothing except worm food.
    You are correct there is no evidence and I am not coming at this from a Christian point of view so no argument there either.
    Your worm food statement is interesting - not that it has anything to do with consciousness after death - but we do carry on, in a way, after we die by becoming apart of the world around us. That is if we are allowed to decay naturally or our cre-mains are spread around in the wild. We become a part of the tree near by or the grass and flowers and maybe if we are in the grass a deer or rabbit comes along and eats us and we are now apart of them. We do in a deeper sense live on after death. Will I be conscious of it? Most likely not.

    And I understand that most people won't or don't see it that way, I don't have a problem with that.

    I am just beginning to discover quantum physics and the remarkable things that it says about the reality around us and the potential of parallel and alternate realities and different planes of existence. This started me thinking about an "afterlife" of sorts that maybe death is not the finality of life but just a change in existence kind of like Buddhists and Hindu's think but not exactly.

    Just thinking really. Pondering and thinking.

    Thanks for the input :)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,548

    Re: A question for the Atheists

    Quote Originally Posted by Anti_thesisofreason
    You are correct there is no evidence and I am not coming at this from a Christian point of view so no argument there either.
    Your worm food statement is interesting - not that it has anything to do with consciousness after death - but we do carry on, in a way, after we die by becoming apart of the world around us. That is if we are allowed to decay naturally or our cre-mains are spread around in the wild. We become a part of the tree near by or the grass and flowers and maybe if we are in the grass a deer or rabbit comes along and eats us and we are now apart of them. We do in a deeper sense live on after death. Will I be conscious of it? Most likely not.

    And I understand that most people won't or don't see it that way, I don't have a problem with that.

    I am just beginning to discover quantum physics and the remarkable things that it says about the reality around us and the potential of parallel and alternate realities and different planes of existence. This started me thinking about an "afterlife" of sorts that maybe death is not the finality of life but just a change in existence kind of like Buddhists and Hindu's think but not exactly.

    Just thinking really. Pondering and thinking.

    Thanks for the input :)
    You're correct that being worm food has nothing to do with conciousness. It's simply the beginning of our becoming a part of the world around us.
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    846

    Re: A question for the Atheists

    Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    You're correct that being worm food has nothing to do with conciousness. It's simply the beginning of our becoming a part of the world around us.
    But aren't we already a part of the world around us??

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    327

    Re: A question for the Atheists

    Must be Sunday and the Kneed one cant touch a keyboard. So Anti_thesis in the paraphrased words of Chris Hitchens who says on behalf of many anti theists.
    We may claim not to know if there is anything after this life. But one thing is assured, those who claim that they do know are lying.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    272

    Re: A question for the Atheists

    Quote Originally Posted by Anti_thesisofreason
    Do the Atheists here think there could be a possibility of consciousness after death?
    I understand that evidence cannot be had or is not available yet at this time to support or deny it one way or the other. I want to know how you feel about the idea and why.

    Not trying to set anyone up here just asking a question. I myself have considered the idea of nothingness after death and to me, if it is true, then I certainly won't know the difference or care after I am gone. But then again I can't help but think there is still a possibility/probability that there may be more after death.
    Then again I am not beyond the idea that that is just wishful thinking.

    Just wondering. Not fishing for an argument or heated discussion just your opinion.


    Thanks.


    No I don't because I believe our consciousness is a function of our brains and once the brain is dead we are no more.
    I am currently reading --- White Jazz - James Ellroy

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    846

    Re: A question for the Atheists

    Quote Originally Posted by Turnbull Ac
    No I don't because I believe our consciousness is a function of our brains and once the brain is dead we are no more.
    Thanks Turnbull!

Similar Threads

  1. Atheists becoming Christians
    By Administrator in forum Religious Scams
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-14-2014, 04:14 PM
  2. A Joke For the Atheists
    By Administrator in forum Religious Scams
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 04-09-2014, 08:54 AM
  3. If Atheists Rules the World
    By bibleman in forum Religious Scams
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-31-2013, 08:55 PM
  4. Atheists Are Dicks
    By pwrone in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 02-11-2010, 12:52 PM
  5. Atheists for Democrats!
    By pwrone in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-23-2006, 09:01 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •