+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bend 'em...

Bend 'em...

...like Beckham (name of a vid game)

Question, does anyone think that adding Beckham to the Galaxy (non-American-Football) will bring the kind of excitement that Soccer brings to throngs of fans throughout the world, to the US? I played Soccer in high school, and was a fan during the Pele years, My opinion is that if Pele couldn't do it than how can Beckham...Just curious what others think...

Re: Bend 'em...

I don't know if you've had the chance to see the movie or read "Once In a Lifetime", but the movie tries to explain the rise and fall of the Cosmos and the NASL. Of course, growing up in NYC during the Pele years has a lot to do with why I became a soccer fan.

David Beckham has always had good players around him at Manchester United, Real Madrid and the England National Team. While Landon Donovan, Cobi Jones, and Abel Xavier are no slouches, they don't compare to having Ryan Giggs, Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Luis Figo, Zinedine Zidane, Raul, or Stephen Gerrard as your teammates.

It could be worse however, since the Metrostars had Roberto Donadoni on their team in their first season. He was only playing at half speed, yet he was far superior to anyone else in the lineup.

I don't deny David Beckham's talent, however, I don't think he can rise to the level of expectation that is surrounding him right now.
    Owner/Creator
    C and D Games
    Analog Games in a Digital World.

Re: Bend 'em...

Quote Originally Posted by jigglepete
    ...like Beckham (name of a vid game)

Question, does anyone think that adding Beckham to the Galaxy (non-American-Football) will bring the kind of excitement that Soccer brings to throngs of fans throughout the world, to the US? I played Soccer in high school, and was a fan during the Pele years, My opinion is that if Pele couldn't do it than how can Beckham...Just curious what others think...

Probably not, he is an old man from what I understand. They probably should have went after Ronaldhino(the most popular athlete in the world according to ESPN) from Brazil if they wanted to revitalize soccer in the US. Pele did get people into soccer, it just didn't last. They were selling out New York stadiums when he was playing. I admit I did watch his 13 minutes that he played in that first game he played, but unless I catch a game flipping through channels I probably won't again. I always watch the World Cup though but I root for Italy, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by gussser
    DC You post on so many different subjects that it hard to keep up with it all. Unconfuse me---ARE YOU JEWISH?????
    Take the Quiz! Are you left?Right? Middle?

The Quiz!