+ Reply to Thread

Is A Demo Car Used or New One?

Dear Members and Fellows,

Last May 31, I purchased a demo 2007 Suzuki XL7 with 3488 miles. The dealer requested me to waive a $1,000 factory rebate. Curiously in the sales contract I found such car was sold me as used one. Why the dealer requested me to sign the waiver, if only new cars receive rebates?

In addition, I would appreciate to recourse to your wisdom. This is a desperate situation.

About the demo car above cited, the sales contract had 45 days to pay the first loan installment on July 15. However, the dealer granted me to get 90 days of deferred payment for the first payment on September 1.

Even do, the dealer's new car manager requested me to sign the contract because he would get from the lien holder the extension time for 60 days. Also, he told me If necessary he would ask for more 30 days and for such purpose, I would need to come back to the dealer to request the extra days.

On June 27, I contacted such dealer manager to know if the due date for first payment was on August 1. He told me was going to request the extension time to the lien holder. On August 29 at 11 a.m., I contacted him about, and he assured me that he had got the due date for August 1. Same dayat 4 p.m. , I inquired the lien holder about, and they answered me that the due date was on July 15, and an extension time for August 1 or September 1 was out of consideration.

On July 5, I inquired the lien holder again, and the response was the same: Due date on July 15. Today, the lien holder confirmed me one more time that the due date continues for July 15. I have tried in person and by phone to meet such manager, but he never comes back to me and always is unavailable. I am afraid that I will fall behind my first payment. What can I do?

Here in Colorado, the Colorado Attorney General refers the cases to the Better Business Bureau. When the business is member of the BBB, this organization is ineffective (The dealer is member). Also when the car manufacturer is contacted -normally- they send back the consumer to resolve the issue with the dealer.

Grateful for your ideas.

griver

Re: Is A Demo Car Used or New One?

griver, not sure if all states have the same regulations but in Massachusetts a "Demo Car" is a new car, not used. A demo is a new car that has never been sold (registered) and has light mileage on it, anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand miles usually due to customer test drives, loaner car for customer repairs, or sometimes the sales mgr or salesmen get to use the car until it's sold. Now because the car is "New" ALL the factory rebates incentives ect are in force. imo verbal agreements between you and the sales mgr mean nothing, if the contract says the 1st payment is due July 15th then that is when its due. You could get legal help but it sounds like you can't afford it, or you could return to the dealership and send a strong message to the mgr that if he does not address your concerns he'll soon spend an afternoon in a court room. Even if he thinks you don't have a legal leg to stand on he may try to work something out with you. In the meantime you made a couple of mistakes, but thats ok as long as you learn from them... The dealer is a scumbag! Never do business with them again...
    Rich99

I'm new to this site and I am going to use YOU for my first post. You should feel honored:shocked:! Anyway, I work at a dealership in Missouri and in this state a "Demo" vehicle is still considered new and has all the rebates and incentives still attached to it. This is the way it is in most other states also. It's the few bad dealers that makes all of us honest dealers look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    I'm new to this site and I am going to use YOU for my first post. You should feel honored:shocked:! Anyway, I work at a dealership in Missouri and in this state a "Demo" vehicle is still considered new and has all the rebates and incentives still attached to it. This is the way it is in most other states also. It's the few bad dealers that makes all of us honest dealers look bad.
    UNLESS

1 - The demo car was titled by the dealership to save on taxes or some other normal business purpose.

or

2 - The car was last years model! Then the demo would usually be titled in the dealership's name and then REBATES WOULD NOT apply fromt he current year.