+ Reply to Thread

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

Help Shut Down Puppy Mills..

Soon after "Baby" arrived at a puppy mill, her vocal cords were cut with scissors, without any anesthetic, so she couldn't bark. The puppy mill owner didn't want to be disturbed. Then, she was confined in a cramped cage with a chicken wire floor, so the owner did not have to clean it. Later, she broke her leg, and it was left untreated for years. Ultimately, the leg had to be amputated... (see picture below)

Click here to read the rest of Baby's story -- then, make your donation to save other dogs from the cruelties she endured.

Puppy mills operate largely out of sight and mind, even for many who care deeply about animals. The Humane Society of the United States is working hard to change that -- and with your donation today, we'll drive these massive commercial breeders out of business for good!

As you may know, puppy mills are large-scale breeding facilities. They force mother and father dogs to produce litter after litter of puppies to support consumer demand for purebred and "designer" dogs.

"Breeder dogs" are routinely kept in horrific conditions, enduring a lifetime of misery in tiny cages, deprived of exercise, decent food, or even basic veterinary care. As they age and their fertility wanes, these animals are often killed or abandoned.

What most pet owners and animal lovers don't realize is that so many of the puppies sold through pet stores or Internet sites come from places just like these -- breeding operations filled with suffering, disease, and malnutrition.

Puppy mills typically operate without oversight, sell puppies through third parties, and use deceptive practices to fool the public into believing they care about the puppies they breed. That is why it is crucial to shine a spotlight on this unseen industry.

Help stop this cycle of abuse by making a generous donation today. With your gift, we'll have the critical resources we need to:

1) Investigate and expose the realities behind this cruel commercial industry

2) Advocate for stricter regulation of the industry and increased funding to enforce existing animal welfare laws

3) Educate the public about how to avoid buying puppies or kittens from inhumane commercial breeders.

Puppy mills put profits above compassion, and it's time we put them out of business for good. Please make a generous donation today.

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work... User Rank

Re: Help Shut Down Puppy Mills..

Puppy breeders should be striictly licensed and regulated. Including an inspection of their animals and facilities every 3 months of each year.
    Also, any particular female breeder dog [they refer to them as "*****es] should only have two litters of puppies each year.
    Strict penalities should be applied and enforced for breeder animal abuse, which includes cleanliness of facilities, all required tagging, vaccinations
    and a physical check-up of the animal by a licensed veternerian once a year.
    Any breeder female should only be used in that capacity for not more than five years, then retired, including spaying. The owner should keep the dog
    or sell it to another home.
    Also, strict laws should be applied to require every dog and cat owner, of "ordinary animals" [mutts, heinz-57, alley cats, whatever] to have the animal spayed or neutered. Only licensed, registered breeder should be allowed to have animals that can breed.
    Cat breeders should have the same laws, rules, regulations and controls applied to them that the dog breeders have.

Quote Originally Posted by coontie
    Puppy breeders should be striictly licensed and regulated. Including an inspection of their animals and facilities every 3 months of each year.
    Also, any particular female breeder dog [they refer to them as "*****es] should only have two litters of puppies each year.
    Strict penalities should be applied and enforced for breeder animal abuse, which includes cleanliness of facilities, all required tagging, vaccinations
    and a physical check-up of the animal by a licensed veternerian once a year.
    Any breeder female should only be used in that capacity for not more than five years, then retired, including spaying. The owner should keep the dog
    or sell it to another home.
    Also, strict laws should be applied to require every dog and cat owner, of "ordinary animals" [mutts, heinz-57, alley cats, whatever] to have the animal spayed or neutered. Only licensed, registered breeder should be allowed to have animals that can breed.
    Cat breeders should have the same laws, rules, regulations and controls applied to them that the dog breeders have.
    Agreed except for mandatory spaying or nutering. I understand why somebody would want to enforce this law and I myself have always had my animals fixed as I do not want unwanted animals - but I don't think the goverment should be able to tell you what to do with your animal in that respect. If they're not being abused I don't think it is the governments business to tell you what to do with your animal. If they were in the wild they would be reproducing anyway. I do think it is okay for a animal shelter to make you have your animal fixed as you are essentially purchasing the animal from them.

It would be nice if EVERY individual would take responsibility in managing their Dogs, Cats so that they do NOT present a nuisance and a threat to other people. But sadly, for other people and the animals there are some, as you know, that do NOT care to take social responsibility.
    That is why we have government authority and the Law. Good government does not mean that the authorities should stand back and, in observing what SOME people consider there personal freedom/s, allow them to abuse and disrespect other people and also the animals.
    Law is there for an individual to call upon when they have personaly, reasonably tried to remedy, correct a problem. The Law prefers that they be called in lieu of "ratcheting" the issue, situation out of control - meaning becoming violent. You cannot reason, talk to some people.
    Some people feel that their personal freedom, civil rights, means that they can do as they please, when and where and anyone else that attempts to intervene when they are being abusive and disrespectful of others, these will immediately becomne vehement, vile and abusive with their language and will threaten, and some do, to physically hurt you.
    So what does this have to do with animals? Well, it is the people that have Cats and Dogs and allow them to breed at their whim [the animals and people, that don't care] Then when the newborn of these animals comes along most of the time they try to get rid of them throught other people. But a lot of people already have several animals, so don't want anymore. Others drown or otherwise destroy the animals. Some take them to the "humane society" which is much overburdened with such animals already. Then, some take the animals and dump them along the road somewhere.
    In my neighborhood I spot on the average of 10 - 12 "stray dogs" a year. Most are by the road loooking frightened and otherwise attentive as though looking, waiting for whomever dumped them to come back and get them, NOT!
    I know some people that live by busy secondary highways and rural roads that say they are always having strange dogs come into their yard, around their house. Their comment: " I really wish people would quit dumpoing dogs out near my place.
    True story, one of my first hand experiences: I was at a city dumpt/land-fill site waiting my turn to dump some trash. Several more individuals were ahead of me. One was a Dog Pound Truck - it was marked such on the side. When their turn came, the two men went back and opened up the back of the truck. I counted 18 full grown dogs they pulled out and several plastic bags I took to be Puppies and Cats/Kittens in them - all dead, of course.
    What is the recourse if mandatory spaying, neutering is not mandated by the authorities? I know some people that are responsible and take the initiative to voluntarily do so, in order to eliminate all the personal issues to theirselves and also give better care to their animals. What is to be done about those that, as mentioned above, just don't care about other people or the plight of the animals?
    Final note: the so called "house-cat" is responsible for mass destruction of many bird species, both songbird and game birds. Around where a person lives, they can quite accurately gage the amount of "outside cats" and ferrile [domestic cats gone wild, because people have dumped entire litters] that are present in their area by the presence or absence of songbirds and in rural areas "Bob-White" Quail. Also, beneficial nonveneoums reptiles such as snakes and lizards that kill and eat many rodents and insects.
    Another personal experience. For a while I did home and small business maintenance and repair work. At one point I was contacted by an older woman that said she needed my help to rid her daughters residence of a large amount of cats and clean up some very dismal living circumstances.
    It was a literal "nightmare" and horror-situation. THe place was filthy, overran with roaches, bathtubs, lavatories, toilets full of cat fecal material, dead cats and kittend. Closets; where there was one or two shelves, the cats were "roosting" side by side" seperated by piles of disgusting material. Cats were eating other cats and fighting and killiong or injuring each other. WHen and if this woman fed them at all she would just dump a large sack of dry food out on the floor. The stench was unbearable and this woman was living in the place.
    I and her son-in-law who was helping [not the cat woman's husband] took mattresses to the dumper. Carpet and pads, we ripped up off of the floor and discarded, wooden shelving out of the closets, ruined furniture, clothes and other items. We opened the windows and the doors, cats were taking off out of the place everywhere. I counted 86 full grown Cats and 32 Kittens. Some were blind in one or both eyes, missing ears and tails and in some cases leg/s. We called the human society and they came and got what they could and took them away. The others ran wild around the Town-Home complex. People were really complaining. About every week the humane society would come by and retrieve cats from the traps they had set.
    The woman's mother spent about 12,000 dollars to clean up, fix up the place, The cat woman had to go before a judge in court. He told her NOT to collect anymore cats such as she had been know to do, or he would send her to jail in a mental institute. I did a lot of work in the place. I noticed about two years later this woman was again luring stray cats back into her residence. She had a serious mental proble. These people ususally do.
    As you read this post there are literally thousands of such people right now in this country who are doing the same RIGHT NOW!
    Many dogs are kept in back yards in the city and suburbs - not fed or watered properly and these people seldom make any sort of personal contact with these animals, especially to take these animals out for walks and spend personal time with them. All they want and intend is for the dog to be preent to bark if someone is around the residence, especially at night. Consequentally these dogs are frustrated and angry and most just spend the entire day and into the night barking non-stop and being a nuisance and annoying neighbors. The people that have these dogs just "tune-out" this noise and if someone complains to them thay want to threaten and cuss people out.
    Last edited by coontie; 07-10-2007 at 11:38 PM.

Sam Simon, creator of the "Simpsons" television cartoon feature has made several million dollars available in the area of the city of Los Angeles, California for the voluntary spaying, neutering of Cats and Dogs.
    No figures were given regarding Cat euthanasia, otherwise known as "destroying", or plain and simply killing. However, regarding Dogs, the figures are: previous to this program being carried out at least some 60,000 Dogs were killed every year by the Humane Society, now the figures of the annual amount killed is down to less than 14,000; this in the City of Los Angeles alone.
    Just think, multiply these figures for the entire United States, even at 14,000/year, the lesser amount; lets suppose a reasonable average figure of 8,000 Dogs/state [remember, no Cats considered] times 52 states, we are looking at very possibly around a half-miilion Dogs each year that are having to be destroyed. The figure is probably closer to a million. How many are killed on the roads, hit by cars or just die from disease and neglect at the hands of their human "owners"?
    They are "cute" as puppies, aren't they? And of course people want to make their kids and others happy to be 'given' a puppy. But, then the novelty wears off, the puppy isn't any longer cute and the child gets bored, like many do with their mediocre toys. The puppy grows into a dog, is confined to the backyard, often on a chain. Not properly fed, watered or given companionship. Barks constantly out of anger and frustration, annoyning neighbors. Both the animal and the peace of mind of the neighbors being ignored by the animal's owner.
    Developes diseases such as heartworms from mosquito borne parasites, mange fungus, from the damp ground it has to lie on. Either dies a miserable death, gets loose, runs the roads, is hit by a car or picked up and taken to be destroyed.
    How many humans would want to be committed to such a circumstance as this? None. But many people treat helpless animals in this manner and are indifferent.
    What good is that suggested human tenderness, compassion and caring about these animals in regard to it being cruel and inhumane to "fix" them so that they cannot interbreed? And for the sake of the animals, at least, don't have one if they are not going to treat it with ordinary decency and kindness.
    I really get weary of seeing on the average of twenty dog and cat pictures in the paper every day of these animals that are "put up for adoption" by the Humane Society". In all of their eyes you can see fright, terror and sadness at being abandoned and instinctively knowing that if someone doesn't come and take them they will be killed and their lifelss bodys dumped at the city land-fill.

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by coontie
    What good is that suggested human tenderness, compassion and caring about these animals in regard to it being cruel and inhumane to "fix" them so that they cannot interbreed? And for the sake of the animals, at least, don't have one if they are not going to treat it with ordinary decency and kindness.
    I really get weary of seeing on the average of twenty dog and cat pictures in the paper every day of these animals that are "put up for adoption" by the Humane Society". In all of their eyes you can see fright, terror and sadness at being abandoned and instinctively knowing that if someone doesn't come and take them they will be killed and their lifelss bodys dumped at the city land-fill.
    Amen. It is not cruel to spay or nueter an animal and it's not cruel to put unwanted animals down. What is cruel is to get one and then treat it worse than one would treat livestock and not take responsibility of maintenance and well being of your pet nor being a good neighbor to those around you by taking care of your animals.

I can't begin to say how many people I've reported and had fined when they ignored the warnings of the humane society to take care of their animals. Dozens anyway. I've also removed animals from premises of those who continue to get pets but then ignore them when the "new" wears off.

Pet ownership is not a "cheap" proposition. Unless you get a fish or hamster. If you can't afford the shots, spaying and nuetering and upkeep, don't get one, this includes bunnies, which are another mistreated pet in many households. Don't get a pet for a child with the idea that you kid is old enough to learn that responsibility. If your child can not do a list of chores everyday without being told to do them, guess what? They aren't mature enough to take care of a pet. If mom or dad aren't willing to take care of the animal, don't get an animal.

Lady Mod

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    Amen. It is not cruel to spay or nueter an animal and it's not cruel to put unwanted animals down. What is cruel is to get one and then treat it worse than one would treat livestock and not take responsibility of maintenance and well being of your pet nor being a good neighbor to those around you by taking care of your animals.

I can't begin to say how many people I've reported and had fined when they ignored the warnings of the humane society to take care of their animals. Dozens anyway. I've also removed animals from premises of those who continue to get pets but then ignore them when the "new" wears off.

Pet ownership is not a "cheap" proposition. Unless you get a fish or hamster. If you can't afford the shots, spaying and nuetering and upkeep, don't get one, this includes bunnies, which are another mistreated pet in many households. Don't get a pet for a child with the idea that you kid is old enough to learn that responsibility. If your child can not do a list of chores everyday without being told to do them, guess what? They aren't mature enough to take care of a pet. If mom or dad aren't willing to take care of the animal, don't get an animal.

Lady Mod

you are very correct in your position and I respect your opinion. It is good to see people that are animal rights and treatment activist. These creatures are helpless and cannot take care of theirself under conditions to which humans have and are subjecting them. Therefore they need humans protectors to defend them against their human abusers.
    That is right; other animals besides cat and dogs should be protected as well. All are vunerable and defenseless.
    When there is a large population of animals that "owners" get tired of and abandon, neglect, then these creatures are shed on society and the authorities. With the large amount that are no longer wanted every day, there is no choice but to "put-down" those that are not taken for adoption.
    Probably, out of 20 animals that are plaed for adoption on tenth; 2 animals will be adopted.
    It is time that stringent methods be taken to control the animal population and thereby make less available for abuse by those that prove to be uncaring and negligent.
    With the Los Angeles situation and Sam Simon making millions available to people for their animals to be spayed and neutered it is obvious that many people desire to do this. Problem elsewhere? People know better but SOME do not want to spend the money to do what is right for their animal.

I salute you!
    Last edited by coontie; 07-17-2007 at 03:00 AM.

LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings. User Rank

Aw man, those puppy mills make the best puppy butter!......ground ever so smoothly.....goes wonerful on toast!

....mmmmmmmmm....pass me the spread!

The BBB issued a nationwide press release on a simlar scam.

AMERICAN KENNEL CLUB AND BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU WARN CONSUMERS TO BE WARY OF PUPPY SCAMS
    -- Longing for a Canine Companion? Don’t Get Conned! --
    For Immediate Release
    New York, NY – The American Kennel Club® (AKC®) and the Council of Better Business Bureaus (CBBB) are warning consumers about scams targeting unsuspecting puppy buyers.

Both the AKC and the CBBB have recently received a number of reports from consumers throughout the nation who have lost money after responding to online or newspaper classified advertising. Commonly, the scammer —posing as a breeder—will place an ad offering free or inexpensive puppies. Communicating solely through emails, the scammer may claim that he/she is affiliated with a religious organization and is being relocated to a foreign country and needs to re-home the puppies.

“The consumer can be taken in by the sincerity of the scammer, who’ll say that they don’t care about money and just want to find a good home for their beloved puppies,” said Steve Cox, Vice President of communications for the CBBB. “But then the fees for shipping the pet mount up and the consumer can lose hundreds of dollars before realizing they’ve been conned and will never get their puppy.”

“This is certainly not the only scam to be aware of, but it is a common one,” says AKC spokesperson Lisa Peterson. “Because of the emotional investment, consumers are more vulnerable to being taken advantage of when it comes to a cute cuddly puppy than with any other purchase. A dog is a major investment -- a living, breathing being who will rely on you for 10 years or more. Take time to educate yourself on the hallmarks of a legitimate and responsible breeder.”

The AKC and BBB offer the following advice:

• Do your research. Ask if the breeder is a member of an AKC-affiliated club and contact that club to verify membership or check recent listings of available AKC Litters from breeders at:www.akc.org/classified/index.cfm. You can also check with the BBB (www.bbb.org) and the AKC (919-233-9767) to see if there are any complaints about the breeder. Request references and speak to other people who have purchased dogs from this breeder—especially if the breeder does not live near you.
    • Beware of breeders who seem overly concerned with getting paid. Any reputable breeder will be far more concerned with the appropriateness of the potential pet home than what and when they are getting paid. Make sure you have clear expectations – ideally in writing – of how and when the pup will be paid for. Be especially wary of any breeder who insists that you wire money and who calls to ask for more money to be wired to cover last minute shipping fees.
    • Don’t be fooled by a slick web site. Unscrupulous breeders and even outright scams can be represented by professional-looking web sites that lure you in with fraudulent pictures of adorable puppies. At the very least speak with the breeder on the telephone and ideally meet the breeder, the puppy and the dam in person. If you locate a breeder online, never send money without checking their references and credentials first. The AKC recommends that you first contact the national organization for the breed (Parent Club). It is essential to visit the breeder at their home to see the entire litter and the care and conditions given to the puppies prior to purchasing.
    • Take your time. Beware of breeders who claim to have multiple breeds ready to ship immediately. It’s highly unlikely that your perfect puppy will be available for shipping on the very day you call. Gestation and socialization of a litter takes months -- no puppy should be separated from the dam before 8 weeks of age.
    • Report a scam. Anyone who has experienced a dog-related scam should report it to their local authorities as well as their local BBB (www.bbb.org) to file a complaint. Consumers can also direct questions and concerns to AKC Customer Service at 919-233-9767, or e-mail info@akc.org.
    “If you are sure you are dealing with an actual breeder who has a dog to sell, there are still things to be aware of,” adds Peterson. “If you expect the dog you are buying to be AKC-registrable, you must obtain documentation when you pick up the dog. Be wary of excuses such as ‘AKC hasn't sent the papers yet.’ If a breeder is doing his paperwork in a timely manner, there is no reason the AKC Dog Registration Application form should not be available, so wait until you receive it before you pay for and take home your puppy. Once you have completed the financial aspect of the transaction, there is little recourse for an unsatisfied buyer.”

• To learn about the hallmarks of a responsible breeder, visit: www.akc.org/press_center/facts_stats.cfm?page=responsible_breeder
      ###

The American Kennel Club, founded in 1884, is a not-for-profit organization which maintains the largest registry of purebred dogs in the world and oversees the sport of purebred dogs in the United States. The AKC is dedicated to upholding the integrity of its registry, promoting the sport of purebred dogs and breeding for type and function. Along with its nearly 5,000 licensed and member clubs and its affiliated organizations, the AKC advocates for the purebred dog as a family companion, advances canine health and well-being, works to protect the rights of all dog owners and promotes responsible dog ownership. More than 20,000 competitions for AKC-registered purebred dogs are held under AKC rules and regulations each year including conformation, agility, obedience, rally, tracking, herding, lure coursing, coonhound events, hunt tests, field and earthdog trials. Affiliate AKC organizations include the AKC Canine Health Foundation, AKC Companion Animal Recovery and the AKC Museum of the Dog. For more information, visit www.akc.org.

About the BBB System BBB is an unbiased, non-profit entity that sets and upholds high standards for fair and honest business behavior. Businesses and charities that earn BBB membership contractually agree and adhere to the organization’s high standards of ethical business behavior. BBB provides objective advice, free business Reliability Reports and charity Wise Giving Reports, and educational information on topics affecting marketplace trust. BBB also offers complaint and dispute resolution support for consumers who need help with unfair or unethical business treatment. The first BBB was founded in 1912. Today, 128 BBBs serve communities across the U.S. and Canada, evaluating and monitoring more than three million local and national businesses and charities. Please visit www.bbb.org for more information about the BBB System