+ Reply to Thread

What Do You Define As An Alcholic?

1) Can it happen at any age?

2) When do you know you have become one?

3) Why do people go down this route?

4) A woman drinks a bottle of wine a night, for two weeks, is that a slippery slope?

5) Is boredom a big factor?

6) Does it usually creep up on you, without you realising it?

7) Are there different types?

Anything else..?

YWFT
    Every Saint has a past, every sinner has a future..

Re: What Do You Define As An Alcholic?

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Well Fine Then

4) A woman drinks a bottle of wine a night, for two weeks, is that a slippery slope?

Anything else..?

YWFT
    1. Yes
    2. Drink half a glass of wine, and ask someone not drinking to note your actions during the following hours.
    3. -
    4. No. It takes years (depending on age, to become alcoholic).
    5. No.
    6. Yes.
    7. -

Anything else..?

YWFT

1.) Yes.

2.) I've heard of the half glass of wine/whiskey test, but it basically comes down to whether or not you can stop drinking once you've started. Alcoholics can't.

3.) Everyone is born with a different level of genetic inclination toward alcoholism/addiction. Some people have very little, so even if they binge drink throughout college it might never happen to them. Others have a whole lot, so maybe they get drunk a handful of times, and that's all it takes to cross that invisible line. As for 'why,' there are too many possible answers to that question.

4.) Yes. The previous poster is wrong about that. It doesn't always take years, despite pop culture's depiction of the old man under the bridge nursing a paper bag. I've met a fifteen year old alcoholic who started drinking at fourteen.

5.) It can be, in that drinking can become a way to fill the time, getting the person closer to crossing into addiction.

6.) Yes. Most people don't set out to become alcoholics; it just happens.

7.) No.

...in case you're wondering, I've worked with alcoholics in clinical situations and studied the disease extensively in college.
    Last edited by yossarian; 07-10-2007 at 08:15 PM.

For what it is worth, I think the boredom and disenfranchisement (is that a word!), and failure in career or personal life, would account for many who go down the route of addiction to drink and/or drugs, in my experience.
    Every Saint has a past, every sinner has a future..

For what it is worth, I think the boredom and disenfranchisement (is that a word!), and failure in career or personal life, would account for many who go down the route of addiction to drink and/or drugs, in my experience.
    I would agree, although, for many, the drink and/or drug came before said failures... was, indeed, the catalyst that set them in motion.

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work... User Rank

Anything else..?

YWFT
    1. Alcholism onset is generally at a young age; 10 years old and on up. Perhaps some 8 - 10 year olds. Depending upon the company they keep and the availability of alchol at someone else's place and the mom, dad are not there or just don't care what their's or other children do.
    If an individual is alcholic prone they then will become activated to the drug [yeas drug] and consequentallly develope full blown alcholism.

2. the "proneness factor" is innate in individuals. Usually, it is herediatry. If there is a history of alcoholism in a family, one or more of the children will exhibit such behavior as they get older. Getting older means where they can get their hands on the drug. People that don't become alcholics and have a family history of same will manifest some other sort of drug dependency.
    If there is a history of alchol dependency in the family any offspring/children of these people should never take the first drink of the substance.
    I personally know of one situation where this woman was the daughter of another woman that was one of fourteen children of their parents. Of teh two parents and 13 daughters, they all were alcholics and "hell-raises". Meaning they were constantly in trouble with the law. Several shot and killed other people or were done the same. This womans mother wasn't alcholic but developed diabetes. This woman developed Hypoglycemia; abnormally low blood sugar levels and later became diabetic. She had two children; one manifested alcholism around age 12; a male. Her Daughter manifested alchol and other drug/s dependency; Cocaine, Heroin, Barbituates, whatever she could get. Both posed serious Juvenille Deliquency problems. On into adulthood they had serious issue. The Daughter eventually died from AIDS and the Son continued on into his fourties as alcholic and lived with his mother and was totally dependent. He got into a fight with his Niece and she pushed him and consequentally he feel, suffered a concussion and a broken neck. Now is paralyzed on one side in his left arm and hand. The Father of these children did not have personal issues with alchol or drugs, His family as well. You know "you've become one" when you drink when you get up, drink before going to work, drink at work, go to a club or lounge after work and hang out 'til late, go home and drink. In other words, pretty much constantly in a state of alcholic stupor. But for these people, it is the onbly state of being they know so it is natural to them.
    I saw Robin WIlliams, the Comedian, on "Larry King Live" recently. He has just came out of ALcholic Rehab, AGAIN. Has struggled with the "disease" all of his life. He made some interesting comments. He said, in regard to his trousers being wet with Urine, or otherwise soiled and vomit on his shirt, the question was often posed: "who did this to my clothes?" Also, missing time and being isolated from other people.

3. my opinion is that they find life really painful and difficult and self-medicate to escape reality. This is their only way to cope with life short of taking their life - suicide. Life for these people is not necessairly painful or difficult due to abuse by others or substandard living conditions. It is more of a mental frame of mind that these people bring into the world with theirself. One of the very early precursor or possible warning signgs of later serious drug/alchol problems with an individual is a very young child that cries incessantly, regardless of meaningful human contact and assurance of being fed, diapers/underware clean and obvious physical well-being, including doctor visits to assure reasonably good health.

4. this woman didn't just start drinking, has done so before. Possibly escalating.

5. No, it is a mental difficulty, affliction. Those lacking will-power are doomed,
    know this, but ignore and are indifferent to it.

6. No.

7. No.

Final note: Alchol is the LEGAL National Drug of the United States. Many people use it to self medicate, to get through difficult times and to deal with stress and painful issues and to have courage to take certain responsibilities; a "mild form" of alcholism. Meaning that they don't foolow the hard and fastr reime mentioned previously. For the most part these people are reaasonably n control oof thei faculaties.
    Some people have a better tolerance than others to alchol, but a national standar had to be set to detemine Intoxication in the legal sense to work to keep drunk drivers off of the roads, which is responsbile for the majority of automobile accidents. Many intoxicated people still feel and see theirself as in control of their facualities and therefore are capable of responsible driving - they're not!
    For those people that seriously do not want to be alcholics, it comes down to personal desire, will-power to not do this as well as some medical and Psychological counciling. Anyone so challenged with this dependency should NEVER take another drink.
    Much work stiill needs to be done to find a cure, which requires drug intervention, other professionals intervention and the true and sincere desire for the individual to reform from the habit.
    A tremendous amount of money revenue is realized from Alchol substance manufatures and also the federal government, which annual receives several billion dollars revenue in taxatioj of this material.
    Since it is such an enormous money making propisition for commerce and the government it doesn't seem like there will be any real serious measures taken any time soon to correct the situation. It will not be with the elimination of Alchol substance. That has already been tried about eighty years ago. Something that has been with humans more or less since there has been humans. There are some that don't care for it, some that can have an "occasional" drink and then get along without it. Others should never touch the stuff. It is a matter of personal choice and responsibility.

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work... User Rank

Additional comment: first, my comment regarding this matter was never posted on the forum as a new post, at the time it was made. Was allowed to remain, I would say at best, somewhat anonymous, in that regard.
    Anyhow, what I wanted to say further in this regard, in referencing my post #4 on the thread in this "Chat Here" forum regarding "Help to Shut Down Puppy Mills"; the woman that I made reference to in that post, of mine, which I referred to as a "Cat-Collector". She was [?] a reformed Alcholic. What I have noticed about such individuals is that they take up a similiar addictive habit, circumstance, activity that has the same "modus-operandi" as the previous addictive habit, but it is camaflouged, disguised. Seemingly to, first of all, fool theirself and next to fool others.
    However, it soon becomes obvious what is actually in progress.
    Sometimes the reoccurence of the addictive habit is the taking on of a fganatical religious guise wherein they spout off with all sort of likened language and suggestions and have crosees, bibles and religious pitcures all over the place. They also act like everyone else in the world is a doomed sinner and is going to Hell, unless they are allowed to convert them.

Yes, I believe it can.

When you can not go without having a drink, whether it is daily, weekly or monthly. It is a dependency that has become routine & controls the drinker to the point they can not say no & not feel that they have suffered some setback from it.

Phsycologically different for everyone, but generally to substitute a loss or inability to cope.

I don't think so, but I imagine she's pretty slippery.

I don't think so, unless the boredom derives from a loss or inability to cope with something.

Yes, like most all addictions.

Yes. See answer to your #3 and consider among them "The Social Alcoholic"...the one who claims to only drink socially. They are still unable to cope with the situation at hand without a drink to "stabalize" them or to consider them "participatory".

Anything else..?
    Alcohol is legal, overtly available, relatively inexpensive & socially acceptable. Therefor making it a common disease that often goes unrecognized and more often denied.
    Last edited by wiseroption; 07-19-2007 at 10:43 PM. Reason: 'cause I wanted to.
    what the heck is this crap?

Anything else..?

YWFT
    1. Yes I would think so.

2. I guess when it starts to cause problems in your life. Like the guys I work with that go everyday to the bar after work for 5 and 6 hours and their home lives can be messed up sometimes. My one friend recently spent 4 nights on my couch because his wife kicked him out and it took 4 days before she would let him come home.

3. Some cases I do think its genetic, or its just so prelevant in their home as kids they grow up around it and start early and think its fine until its too late. Then there are people who turn to booze because they have problems and it soothes them but the booze ends up making their lives worse.

4. Yeah thats a slippery slope. The whole bottle? Or is she sharing it? I guess it doesnt matter really, 14 days straight of drinking alcohol isnt good. A Glass a day wouldnt be bad but a bottle, yes.

5. Yeah I think that could be a factor, sure.

6. I've never really had a drinking problem, maybe a little while I was in school in HS and college, but I chose to get blasted because everyone was, so it didnt creep up on me. I dont drink much anymore, maybe I go to the bar with the guys once every two weeks and I will drink a beer or some wine when I go out to eat at some restaraunts. Pennsylvania is a strange state a lot of restaraunts are not allowed to serve beer at least without a license.

7. Sure some people like to fight(Irish guys :D ), some drunks are funny, some are nice, some do serious damage to their families.

Why? you think you gotta drinkin problem Steve?
    Last edited by luciano; 07-19-2007 at 11:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gussser
    DC You post on so many different subjects that it hard to keep up with it all. Unconfuse me---ARE YOU JEWISH?????
    Take the Quiz! Are you left?Right? Middle?

The Quiz!