+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Right Then, Here is something you can all get stuck into

Okay, another late night, with barely any sleep, but no matter.

Okay, I will keep it concise.

Let us say that you were given a brief.

Here it is

1) You are launching a lifestlyle/what's on mag, for a given area, town, or city

2) The age group of the readership will be 18-40

3) You want to develop a catchy name, but not a cheesy one, that it easily remembered, and clever.

Feel free to ask further questions....

What would you call it?

I will see what suggestions come in, and then tell you what mine might be.

Thanks

YWFT

:)
    Every Saint has a past, every sinner has a future..

Re: Right Then, Here is something you can all get stuck into

hubbert verdict 2000% profit, what was the question again, i read it and was thinking then I was saying TFTF but that dude is a dud, lexx where are you, where is that guy when you need him lexx will get this correct, he is an absolute genius, he has the inner cleansing plans going all the time, drinking that extensive toxic stuff anything futile will come into his brain

Er, right, thanks.

Anyone else?

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work... User Rank

"STEPPING OUT" [in life]... just like that. Big, bold red letters with the ..., then the little ones in parentheses. All of this on a medium yellow background about twice the size of the letters. The rest of the cover page; a light blue.
    Keep it that way as a signature cover that people recognize every time they see it.
    Also, make the date of the issue in bold black letter, but well seperated from the other lettering. Ideally in the lower right corner.
    Don't clutter the cover with a lot of photos or lettering. Just some interesting lead-in story phrases and a few small, but not too small snapshots to back up story info.
    Inside: Always included a personal, original and sincere message from the mag's author to the reader. Make reference to places visited; resturants, sceninc areas, vacations spots. archelogical sites of interest, etc.
    Always make reference to wearing apparell, recreation, travel that is simple, but interesting and affordable.
    Invite readers to contribute same. Include this in issues and establish a nomial. but reasonable fee to reimburse them for using their material; can be edited, modified. Have them sign a release of no further interet other thn your reward fee.
    When referring to wearing apparel, make reference to where this/these items can be bought and price. When using store names in the article/s visit the store/s and try and get them interested in contributing/paying advertisement fees. Try to embed advertisements in real time articles and not, say one half of 'mag' having advertisments platered all in it.
    Just a few thoughs.

Quote Originally Posted by coontie
    "STEPPING OUT" [in life]... just like that. Big, bold red letters with the ..., then the little ones in parentheses. All of this on a medium yellow background about twice the size of the letters. The rest of the cover page; a light blue.
    Keep it that way as a signature cover that people recognize every time they see it.
    Also, make the date of the issue in bold black letter, but well seperated from the other lettering. Ideally in the lower right corner.
    Don't clutter the cover with a lot of photos or lettering. Just some interesting lead-in story phrases and a few small, but not too small snapshots to back up story info.
    Inside: Always included a personal, original and sincere message from the mag's author to the reader. Make reference to places visited; resturants, sceninc areas, vacations spots. archelogical sites of interest, etc.
    Always make reference to wearing apparell, recreation, travel that is simple, but interesting and affordable.
    Invite readers to contribute same. Include this in issues and establish a nomial. but reasonable fee to reimburse them for using their material; can be edited, modified. Have them sign a release of no further interet other thn your reward fee.
    When referring to wearing apparel, make reference to where this/these items can be bought and price. When using store names in the article/s visit the store/s and try and get them interested in contributing/paying advertisement fees. Try to embed advertisements in real time articles and not, say one half of 'mag' having advertisments platered all in it.
    Just a few thoughs.
    Hey, that is much more like it, thank you. :)

So, let us say that the city was Seattle, it would be called, for the sake of story "Stepping Out" ...in seattle.

Yes, that is a contender.

Any special reason for the colours that you mentioned?

I will wait to see if more ideas come in, then will share with you my own title name, and why I think it is a good one.

Cheers

The Ville De Lafayette [Citizens & Soldiers]
    It would be for Fayetteville, and Fort Bragg.
    The cover would be a single photo of something related to the feature article. Not too cluttered with print, maybe just a few words about the feature article and a couple other articles to grab peoples attention.
    Along with articles about current events and things that are going on with the city commissioners and local government. There would be stories of places of interest and some history of the town. How the civilians of the town town and the soldiers of the military base interact with each other. (In both good and bad ways)
    Reviews of stores, restaurants, night clubs, and bars. I'd try to find those "hole in the wall" places that give good quality service and products, and have a more friendly, more personal relationship between the patrons and the owners and people that work there.
    There would also be a reader input section for readers to write in and tell of the things about the town they like and dislike. And complain or give kudos to the politicians who run the local government, complaints that citizens have about G.I.'s, and visa-versa. I'd have to print a disclaimer there that any letters that contained profanity, name calling, or the like, would not be printed.
    And I'd have a feature where I'd just give my thoughts on things. Something like Andy Rooney, but with my perspective on local concerns. With, of course, a place that readers could comment on what I had written, and again, no profanity or name calling and stuff.
    Last edited by carolinahound; 06-30-2007 at 12:11 AM.

How about something uncomplicated such as "It's Seattle", for example, or "Into" (Seattel), I am only using Seattle as my model here, btw.

Easy to remember, etc..?

If you use a State, City or other specific area name in the title you are confining it to that area. It would be better to design it to at least be of interest to national circulation, and perhaps Canada as well.
    If you care to feature articles on cities, you used Seattle, for instance; a good choice of a bersatile and interesting city. You could have a team of people to go there and visit for a minimum of one week, see the sights - not the typical "touristy" stuff, but things, people, of a local and unique 'color, interest. Try to keep celeberities out of it. Depend and work more with people on the street, talk to cops, firemen, waitresses, people at the Beach, Street people. Find out about local unusual and interesting people, Interview them and have some pics.
    The color combos? Red on yellow grabs attention and blue, sort of on the light gray, but blue emphasis, is a good back ground.
    Go look at magazines on the reack at local stores like B&N or Borders. Notice schemes that stand out and those that are lost in the muddle of other publications. You shouldn't have to study this matter very long. It should work like: when you first walk up and take a quick glance, what jumps out. That is what you want the cover to do. That is the first thing that grabs the publics attention. Then, as I outlined earlier, have some lead in story lines [briefly] printed on the cover and perhaps a small snapshot photo of some interesting objects.
    With clothing attire, keep to the basic department store type businesses. Saty away from the expensive and snooty fashion stuff. But, at the same time feature stylish and age oriented clothing combinations. Also, suggest entire apparel sets, such as a blouse, skirt or pants [short or longer] a shell or jacket, socks and shoes and possibly something for the hair. Same for guys. Also, try to find some 'funky' places that feature unique clothing, usually used clothing. This would be typically small shops in out of the way places. You can find these in Seattle, Portland, Sanfrancisco, Denver, Dallas and so on.
    Have a good person on your staff to head up making apparel set selections, but don't have some snob or upper crust idea fashion promoter. Keep it simple, clean and down to Earth. You could try using a 18 - 19 year old for 'Teen, early twenties preferences. Another of 25 - 26, 32 -33 and 40.
    Keep away from the higih dollar, trendy stuff. It is just a commercial trap to bait younger people into badgering their parents to buy certain 'name-brand' clothing items, because so and so is wearing the same.
    You may want to address this situation in an article, where it would be pointed out that people get more for their money shopping for good quality wearing apparel, especially made with cotton, ideally domestic. Same also for shoes and accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Well Fine Then
    .......Feel free to ask further questions....:)
    Why is it that many people who have already formed their own idea about a thing, keeps it to themselves while they request others to throw their's out. Then once the group has charitably donated, the person will then summarize & conclude with their own?
    Why is this?
    what the heck is this crap?

Quote Originally Posted by wiseroption
    Why is it that many people who have already formed their own idea about a thing, keeps it to themselves while they request others to throw their's out. Then once the group has charitably donated, the person will then summarize & conclude with their own?
    Why is this?
    The circumstance speaks for itself, does it not? In my life I have encountered much of this. There are so quirky, ego psycholgical principles being exercised by these individuals.
    Mainly, the ploy is to say, as they do, when they show their hand, that: "that was my idea all along. How did you know?" MAinly not wanting to give credit to someone else for some obvious reasons.

The circumstance speaks for itself, does it not? In my life I have encountered much of this. There are so quirky, ego psycholgical principles being exercised by these individuals.
    Mainly, the ploy is to say, as they do, when they show their hand, that: "that was my idea all along. How did you know?" MAinly not wanting to give credit to someone else for some obvious reasons.
    That is certainly one theory that crosses the mind. For example; you coontie, happen to be one of those who freely offers your conclusion of a very well thought-out process. Now, if the OP does just what you said.... takes what you said, or even any miniscule part of it, claiming it to be their idea all along, or even a cross mixture of all suggestions given, then who among us is to say what is original or what is plagarism? The irony of a method in posting questions like that on this board is, if the OP responds at all in summary, that is taking action on what was offered to him/her freely, which is by clear definition a scam.
    How ironic ;)

That is certainly one theory that crosses the mind. For example; you coontie, happen to be one of those who freely offers your conclusion of a very well thought-out process. Now, if the OP does just what you said.... takes what you said, or even any miniscule part of it, claiming it to be their idea all along, or even a cross mixture of all suggestions given, then who among us is to say what is original or what is plagarism? The irony of a method in posting questions like that on this board is, if the OP responds at all in summary, that is taking action on what was offered to him/her freely, which is by clear definition a scam.
    How ironic ;)
    Very succinct!!! Exactly my thoughts. But, I had thoughts in this regard when I posted the reply/s. I am aware that once anyone puts ANY material out on the internet, or even in a person to person discussion, they are then passing the information over to public domain.
    Usually, I offer suggestions, opinions just to try and help people on here, as I know some are honest and sincere and really trying hard, stuglling to make something happen in their life/lives.
    My ideas, I realize are not necessarily one-hundred percent accurate, or refined to the point of useability. Thre is much additional work left to be done. These are mostly 'SEED' ideas. Also, recall in one of my post, I mentioned in a post in regard to bringin things into your life; I gave the steps, suggestions, but then said one has to get off of their 'DUff" [nicer word for you know what] and put some of theirself.selves. a lot of actual work/energy, to make something worthwhile, benefical to happen.
    I am aware of the Scammers as well, and despised them. I really work to not be victimized by such human dregs. They are a sad and pathetic lot. I aliken them to fleas, ticks, leeches - blood-sucking human parasites.
    They don't want to ACTUALLY work. Want others to be their host-victim/s. All they seek to do is to use a computer and the internet, or out here on the street go door to door and be fraudlent.
    A pox on them! :rolleyes:

Very succinct!!! ....... sad and pathetic lot. I aliken them to fleas, ticks, leeches - blood-sucking human parasites.
    They don't want to ACTUALLY work. Want others to be their host-victim/s. All they seek to do is to use a computer and the internet, or out here on the street go door to door and be fraudlent.
    A pox on them! :rolleyes:
    I know this question may seem redundant, but why can't others see this when it is happening? I know a 20 year old young man who has conned his mom, dad & grandmother into thinking he is some computer whiz, which was easy to do, since mom, dad & grandma never learned how easy it is to use a computer, even to be a web designer, or create graphic arts. So this kid has convinced them that he is an artist who has not been given a break while he plays games & stays in chat rooms on the computer in his room. All the while, he's staying in the cool air conditioned bedroom, munching away on the household groceries & utilities while mom & dad are out working.

Sometimes the naivety or desperation of the people who allow themselves to be scammed, conned, or whatever makes me angry & I do not know who I am angrier at.....the scammer or the scammed. I just wish I could help them to see the light!

I know this question may seem redundant, but why can't others see this when it is happening? I know a 20 year old young man who has conned his mom, dad & grandmother into thinking he is some computer whiz, which was easy to do, since mom, dad & grandma never learned how easy it is to use a computer, even to be a web designer, or create graphic arts. So this kid has convinced them that he is an artist who has not been given a break while he plays games & stays in chat rooms on the computer in his room. All the while, he's staying in the cool air conditioned bedroom, munching away on the household groceries & utilities while mom & dad are out working.

Sometimes the naivety or desperation of the people who allow themselves to be scammed, conned, or whatever makes me angry & I do not know who I am angrier at.....the scammer or the scammed. I just wish I could help them to see the light!

Listen, Mr Gump, do not even suggest that I am here to scam anyone, I am looking for some suggested names for a title for a mag, I would propose to you that you stop being so paranoid, and that maybe laying off the amphetamine will help.

Bloody, hell, some people. :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions that have come in so far, I will throw some in over the next day or so, and after that, I will run them all as a poll,see what comes out as most popular.

It is called manipulation, or 'playing someone', as the one that is doing this intuits that his victim/s are vunerable. These people are cunning, sly, in this regards. Their speciality in life is proflierating shams on others and priding theirself in doing so. They are generally shiftless, lazy, lack personal pride and have no ambition.
    However, there is an old song that I vaguely recall the words to. Don't remember them exactly, or the title, but it goes something to the effect {the key thought/idea] that the one that is a shammer and fraud and always works on destroying people, bringing them down, double-crossing, being two-faced, which is what the one you mentioned is... That eventually that one will be brought down, and brought down hard and it will not be pretty to be around to see.
    People that refuse to take hold of life and get out and give it a good try; well, the ride will be over someday, then they will be utterly at a loss to know what to do with theirself.
    Often, these are the pan-handler types that stand on the street corners with signs asking for help and saying 'God bless you'. They are such pathetic scammers that they disrespect God and people their message is aimed at.
    The one you mention - I think his/her parents love him/her and want to believe in them and feel they are suceeding. But, in their heart of hearts, they really and truly know otherwise. It is so sad that they are being treated so abusively and disrespectfully.
    Just this morning I read a newspaper article that said there are mor 'adult children' living with their parents than ever before. These two that were specifically mentioned in the article were 33 and 34 years old. They, as well, were abusing and taking disrespectful advantage of their parents.
    Last edited by coontie; 06-30-2007 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah Well Fine Then
    Listen, Mr Gump, do not even suggest that I am here to scam anyone, I am looking for some suggested names for a title for a mag, I would propose to you that you stop being so paranoid, and that maybe laying off the amphetamine will help.

Bloody, hell, some people. :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions that have come in so far, I will throw some in over the next day or so, and after that, I will run them all as a poll,see what comes out as most popular.
    So why are you now acting so negatively and harshly? Somebody strike a nerve? Huh!