+ Reply to Thread

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

Thank goodness for Blackberrys!

They can protect 300,000,000 people but not 1,500 Defence department computers? Come to think of it, they couldn't keep a plane from plowing into the Pentagon either. I wonder who will be blamed?

Cyber Attack Hits Pentagon

(WASHINGTON)—The Defense Department took as many as 1,500 computers off line because of a cyber attack, Pentagon officials said Thursday.

Few details were released about the attack, which happened Wednesday, but Defense Secretary Robert Gates said the computer systems would be working again soon.

Gates said the Pentagon sees hundreds of attacks a day, and this one had no adverse impact on department operations. Employees whose computers were affected could still use their handheld BlackBerrys.

During a press briefing Gates said: "We obviously have redundant systems in place. ... There will be some administrative disruptions and personal inconveniences."

He said the Pentagon shut the computers down when a penetration of the system was detected, and the cause is still being investigated. When asked if his own e-mail account was affected, Gates said: "I don't do e-mail. I'm a very low-tech person."

Navy Lt. Cmdr. Chito Peppler, a Pentagon spokesman, said Defense Department systems are probed every day by a wide variety of attacks. "The nature of the threat is large and diverse, and includes recreational hackers, self-styled cyber-vigilantes, various groups with nationalistic or ideological agendas, transnational actors and nation-states," Peppler said.
    ———

Re: Thank goodness for Blackberrys!

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    They can protect 300,000,000 people but not 1,500 Defence department computers? Come to think of it, they couldn't keep a plane from plowing into the Pentagon either. I wonder who will be blamed?
    Not really all that surprising. No computer system can be 100% infallible, and with a huge target such as that, with as many attacks as it must sustain on a regular basis it's surprising this sort of thing doesn't happen more often.

Rusted is offline Gold Scams Member User Rank

Re: Thank goodness for Blackberrys!

Lotsa clueless people opening attachments, not updating the the anti virus, and believing every phishing email that ever rolled through their in box. Some of them work for gummint......
    All advertising is lies, deceit, and misdirection.