+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Why I won't see Evan Almighty

I know it's trivial to comment on this. I could just go about my business. But I just have to do a quick vent.

To some people, the story in Genesis of the flood is pretty important. It's not a joke. It's a serious cataclysmic event that drowned even babies. It was awe inspiring and puts the fear of God in you. The magnitude of it and all the implications of it would take long to cover, so I'll just move on.

God promises in that story never to flood the world entire ever again, and makes a covenant with man, and the rainbow marks as a reminder of that promise.

And yet here's a movie about God breaking that promise.

I'm sure it's a movie I'd enjoy watching. Lots of laughs, good acting, special effects and meaningful story and so on - but how can I watch a movie that portrays God as a promise breaker? If you think of the emotional implication of that, that would shatter the Jewish/Christian/Muslim soul.

And of course seeing God the Father walking around as Morgan Freeman when the Bible says anyone who sees God will surely die is also a bit of an issue. But for some reason, I can overlook that.

Now, I know I'm surely going to get some athiests to chime in with the "God doesn't exist" chorus, and the Bible is full of crap. Well, to that, I say maybe. But nonetheless, the stories of the Bible are very meaningful to many people, and to see God break his promise on film is a depressing sight.

Anyway, that's my rant. See the movie if you want. Looks good. I won't, though.

Re: Why I won't see Evan Almighty

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald
    I know it's trivial to comment on this. I could just go about my business. But I just have to do a quick vent.

To some people, the story in Genesis of the flood is pretty important. It's not a joke. It's a serious cataclysmic event that drowned even babies. It was awe inspiring and puts the fear of God in you. The magnitude of it and all the implications of it would take long to cover, so I'll just move on.
    God promises in that story never to flood the world entire ever again, and makes a covenant with man, and the rainbow marks as a reminder of that promise.

I'm sure it's a movie I'd enjoy watching. Lots of laughs, good acting, special effects and meaningful story and so on - but how can I watch a movie that portrays God as a promise breaker? If you think of the emotional implication of that, that would shatter the Jewish/Christian/Muslim soul.

And of course seeing God the Father walking around as Morgan Freeman when the Bible says anyone who sees God will surely die is also a bit of an issue. But for some reason, I can overlook that.

Now, I know I'm surely going to get some athiests to chime in with the "God doesn't exist" chorus, and the Bible is full of crap. Well, to that, I say maybe. But nonetheless, the stories of the Bible are very meaningful to many people, and to see God break his promise on film is a depressing sight.

Anyway, that's my rant. See the movie if you want. Looks good. I won't,
    though.
    Mass genocide by God awe inspiring? What would the Devil have done instead?

You could go on fearing your vile creator or grow up and out of these ridiculous fantasies my friend.

God holds no fear for those of us who know he doesn't exist.
    I am currently reading --- White Jazz - James Ellroy

Quote Originally Posted by Turnbull Ac
    Mass genocide by God awe inspiring? What would the Devil have done instead?

You could go on fearing your vile creator or grow up and out of these ridiculous fantasies my friend.

God holds no fear for those of us who know he doesn't exist.
    I really didn't want to reply to these kinds of messages, but I'll just say this quick, because your response is actually quite common. A lot of people use this as an argument against the Bible, simply because God kills people.

The reason why I'm okay with it, and you're not, is because I believe people are evil. Yes, we do good, but we also do evil. So I believe that God would be completely justified in eradicating all human life so that no evil would be allowed to exist.

You look at the times that God kills, and you see a vile genocidal maniac. I look at it and thank God for his grace for every day I'm given. Life is a gift. We didn't earn it.

It's a fundamental difference in attitude, and to someone who doesn't have it, it's incredibly frustrating to hear someone who does have it. They're portrayed as bigots, mindless idiots, calloused people, insane, and so on. And the people who do all the name calling are very easily offended.

Anyway, I don't mean to butt heads. I'm comfortable with you having your own point of view. But I felt the need to respond. I hope this won't turn into a long debate.

I really didn't want to reply to these kinds of messages, but I'll just say this quick, because your response is actually quite common. A lot of people use this as an argument against the Bible, simply because God kills people.

The reason why I'm okay with it, and you're not, is because I believe people are evil. Yes, we do good, but we also do evil. So I believe that God would be completely justified in eradicating all human life so that no evil would be allowed to exist.

You look at the times that God kills, and you see a vile genocidal maniac. I look at it and thank God for his grace for every day I'm given. Life is a gift. We didn't earn it.

It's a fundamental difference in attitude, and to someone who doesn't have it, it's incredibly frustrating to hear someone who does have it. They're portrayed as bigots, mindless idiots, calloused people, insane, and so on. And the people who do all the name calling are very easily offended.

Anyway, I don't mean to butt heads. I'm comfortable with you having your own point of view. But I felt the need to respond. I hope this won't turn into a long debate.

But your God kills indiscriminately unless you believe Babies/Animals/Plants Etc are Evil. I am sure an all powerful God could eradicate evil, the fact that it still exists is testament to the impotence of his powers.

If I were God I would simply click my fingers and make the Evil people vanish.

How is it I a mere mortal in a few seconds can come up with an infinitely easier way to rid that planet of evil than God? Do you not find that extraordinary?

It is amazing to think that an all powerful God could do so much for mankind yet does nothing, absolutely nothing to make this world a better place.

Yes life is a gift but this gift has come from your parents who in turn are the latest in a surviving line of descendants that goes back millions of years. This is truly awe inspiring.
    I am currently reading --- White Jazz - James Ellroy

I don't see the big deal - it's a comedy, it's not supposed to be realistic. Did you ever see Bruce Almighty? Same concept and it was a funny movie, when it came down to it, he didn't want god's powers after all.

There are many more movies that I would feel much more offended by than this comedy.

I suppose you were offended by Monty Python's Life of Brian too, Ronald? I thought it was hilarious, and I myself am Christian (well, an Episcopalian; we're considered the "hippies" of the Protestant world.) We should be allowed to laugh at ourselves every once in a while.

Ronald, I saw Steve Carell on a morning talk show yesterday, and he addressed the very thing you're concerned about (God's promise to never again flood the Earth.) He said that the movie does not disregard that promise, although he didn't go into detail as I'm sure he didn't want to ruin anything plot-wise.

So don't let that stop you from seeing the movie; I don't think you've got anything to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Turnbull Ac
    But your God kills indiscriminately unless you believe Babies/Animals/Plants Etc are Evil. I am sure an all powerful God could eradicate evil, the fact that it still exists is testament to the impotence of his powers.

If I were God I would simply click my fingers and make the Evil people vanish.

How is it I a mere mortal in a few seconds can come up with an infinitely easier way to rid that planet of evil than God? Do you not find that extraordinary?

It is amazing to think that an all powerful God could do so much for mankind yet does nothing, absolutely nothing to make this world a better place.

Yes life is a gift but this gift has come from your parents who in turn are the latest in a surviving line of descendants that goes back millions of years. This is truly awe inspiring.
    If you read the Bible, he did make them vanish, it was simply their choice, not to get on the ark. He has given each of us the ability to make the world a better place, so let me ask you, who has failed, God or man?

Look out Ronald! It's an evil, satanic unicorn!

AIEEEEEEE!

Quote Originally Posted by furbearingbrick
    Look out Ronald! It's an evil, satanic unicorn!

AIEEEEEEE!

We should all just enjoy the movie.

God/Goddess is All Loving.

"There's a time and a place for everything." Remember?

He/She also has a sense of humor.

He/She created the platypus for crying out loud.

A beaver with a duck's bill.

Go figure. :D

The platypus is far more than a beaver with a duck's bill!
    http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/platypus.html

Quote Originally Posted by furbearingbrick
    The platypus is far more than a beaver with a duck's bill!
    http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/platypus.html
    Yes indeed. And poisonous!

Who'da thought? :)

Speaking of platypuses...I've been in utter amazement at the many varied animal/creature species of the land, sea, and air. Many of which we have yet to discover.

Guess it goes to show, our creator had other things in mind when these creatures were made to be.

There has to be a method to His/Her madness. :rolleyes:

Your taking things too literal there Ron, go see the movie if you want to. When they flood the world in the movie, its not real buddy. Just a movie. The movie may be a bit blasphemous but I think you will get a "pass" from God for going to see it if you really want to. You can always go to confession and confess to a priest your sins. Say a few hail marys and your clean dog, thats what I do sometimes when Im feelin guilty. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by gussser
    DC You post on so many different subjects that it hard to keep up with it all. Unconfuse me---ARE YOU JEWISH?????
    Take the Quiz! Are you left?Right? Middle?

The Quiz!

I'm sure going to check it out. I liked Bruce Almighty.

Just the previews are funny.