+ Reply to Thread

impossible technological gadget

How do You think? Which of the technological gadget of today, if found by archaeologists in 2000 years, would be considered impossible to have been invented in our times?

Re: impossible technological gadget

Quote Originally Posted by carolekb
    How do You think? Which of the technological gadget of today, if found by archaeologists in 2000 years, would be considered impossible to have been invented in our times?
    Bluetooth! I've been learning about bluetooth lately and it's awesome! Bluetooth changes frequencies 1,600 times every second and is oh-so-far superior to line-of-sight technologies like IR (remotes).
    Okay it's not the best in terms of technology but I do think it's damn awesome and it is already revolutionizing wireless controlling

Yeah, I have to agree with SJ, he is right on the money!

And all those gadgets that I seen on HGTV yesterday! Too many to tell you about.

Interesting,

2000 years is a long long time. I would think technology of making water burn would top my list. This is new breakthrough which is amazing to see.

http://www.environmental.builderspot...ROGENFUEL.html

the error is, it takes more energy to produce the flame than the flame gives you back. he is only converting the energy on the power grid, to a flame. as amazing as the glow from an electric space heater. to run his sterling engine he could have just heated a coil of wire. instead, he is using microwaves, which i think would be less efficient and more costly.

we don't use hydrogen cause we don't have any. it has to be made, expensively. we can't store it inexpensively either. we use oil cause we have lots of it. when it runs out then we will use something else.

That's awesome, I didn't know that Bluetooth shifted frequencies. Kind of like the consumer electronics version of HAVEQUICK. :P

when i look around, i think all our technology, is primitive. just barely useful. we use cement or tar highways. the romans did that. we use the polluting internal combustion engine with very low efficiency. we don't have a spaceship that can actually fly anywhere. we use gravity tricks to pretend we can fly to moon or mars. and even then we can't send anything real heavy. just a radio controlled model to mars. and radio is old. dumb humans took many thousands of years to discover it and only recently can manage to switch a mobile phone from one tower to the next. first time i heard of the TRS-80 computer i was impressed and had to have one, soon, no matter the cost. but then i really studied how it worked and its not magic. and newer computers do things pretty much the same way, just faster. i always thought a person should be able to buy the number of processing cores he can afford today and add on more cores later as he pleases but we haven't got to that point yet. by the time you save up to improve your system, they don't do it that way anymore and you have to buy a whole new one. scanners at supermarket seems to work well and much better than paper stickers. debit cards instead of cash is also working well. but these things still seem primitive to me. the tape strip on a plastic card, just has a magneticly recorded number and magnetic recording is old and primitive too. i just can't think of anything that i am really impressed with because, for me, there is no magic. i understand how things work.

Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong. User Rank

Oh? Perhaps you could do a search for "Microsoft Coffee Table" This looks pretty cool, and its taking touch screen TV's to a whole new level.

But your exactly right. Everything new in technology is pretty much based on an old idea and made faster/better graphics/more user friendly/more features etc.

Also check out the Iphone. Never before have so many "old technologies" been put together into one small package. Could a TRS-80 do that? Unlikely. Perhaps it could handle some of the functions very weakly, but not everything at once; even if it had the time to do the work, it doesn't have ability to hold the memory.

Or camera's. Theres no way we could produce 7 million pixes images several times a second, and still have them be afordable for most families who can save some money.

One thing to note is that as computers get more complex, operating systems and user functions are putting more and more demand on the computer. The advancements are still happening though, and if you look at the microcontrollers which use no operating system to perform their duties, the advancements are *crazy*. We're talking 1/100th the power to do 1000x the calculations (compared to the TRS-80 days) I have here on my desk one micro that doesn't cover over the top of my thumb that can do far more than the TRS-80 does, and runs for about a month on a pear for power (electrodes poked into the fruit)

No the basic abilites have not changed, but don't discount speed and size - those make real differences when it comes to the usability of the technology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Turing_machine

yes, you are correct. speed is very important. any universal processor can do what any other processor can do. the TRS-80, however, may have taken 8000 years to get it done. before there were trains, people walked to California. now they can fly. i would still walk cause i prefer to smoke and not be searched. maybe they can implant an RFID chip in me that says i am not an islamic terrorist ?

Quote Originally Posted by mumbles
    i would still walk cause i prefer to smoke and not be searched. maybe they can implant an RFID chip in me that says i am not an islamic terrorist ?
    That's awesome! Post of the day!

ok,but the chip would have to have a "kill" circuit just in case you changed your mind!?hehe!!.....just askn....
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

on the other hand!?why would archeologists be finding this stuff!?does this question presuppose an end to civilization as we know it!?wouldn't it take more than 2000 years to regain the technological advancement superior enough to make such an observational question possible!?or am i thinking illogically again!?hehe!!.....just askn....
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you