+ Reply to Thread

New Study: Political Islam Correlated to Support for Terrorism

New Study: Political Islam Correlated to Support for Terrorism
    By Patrick Poole
    American Thinker

A new study by the US Institute for Peace (USIP) of polling data from fourteen different Muslim countries finds that support for a role for Islam in politics strongly correlates with more likely support for terrorism. This statistical analysis is certain to draw protests from the usual propagandists of radical Islam in the US, even though the USIP can hardly be considered a neo-conservative institution.

SNIP

The support for terrorism is also dispersed in the Muslim world: of the top five countries in the fourteen surveyed, two were in the Middle East (Lebanon and Jordan), two were in Africa (Nigeria, Ivory Coast) and one was in Asia (Bangladesh). It should be noted that Egypt refused to let the question be asked as part of the survey, and other presumably high terrorism support areas, including Syria, Iran, Iraq, the Palestinian Authority and Saudi Arabia, were not included in the poll.

The standout finding of the USIP study is that support for an increased role for Islam in politics is correlated with greater support for the use of terrorism, even in countries that already adhere to political Islam:

People who support a strong role for Islam in politics are more likely to also support terrorism. Perhaps more surprisingly, people who perceive Islam to play a large role in the politics of their home country are also more likely to support terrorism. (p. 7)

The USIP study also busts the bubble of radical Islamic apologists who claim that support for terrorism is driven by people living under Islamic dictatorships. What the data shows is that dissatisfaction with Islam's role in internal politics has very little correlation to attitudes on terror. The study finds that

...dissatisfaction with the role of Islam in one's own country's politics is much more weakly correlated with support for terrorism then raw attitudes toward to role of Islam. (p. 7)

Perhaps even more important, the data shows that in these countries the perceived threat to Islam posed by the government plays virtually no role at all in support for terrorism. (p. 7)

To get at what might possibly drive support for terrorism, the study's author looked at respondents opinions on possible threats to Islam. What he discovered is that the perceived threat to Islam by their home government had very little impact in their support for terrorism, but instead, "those who believe the United States and the West pose such a threat are particularly likely to support terrorism." (p. 8) In fact, the perceived threat by the US to Islam correlates higher than any other factor in justifying the use of terrorism. (p. 9)

There are several other surprising findings in the USIP report:

• Respondents in these Muslim countries that believed they had some degree of freedom of speech were found to be more likely to support terrorism. (p. 28) As a possible interpretation for this effect, one explanation offered by the study's author is that "when people perceive themselves to have freedom of expression, they are more inclined to admit their support for terror." (p. 29)
    • In line with the findings of other surveys, support for terrorism is constant across education groups (p. 35) It's not just that education plays little role in justifying terror, but that the relationship is non-existent: "Not only is the relationship statistically insignificant, but by and large the point estimates are zero." (p. 36)
    • Perception of the state of the country's economy was basically uncorrelated with support for terrorism. (p. 30) This finding undercuts the argument that Islamic terrorism is driven by poverty in the Muslim world.
    • Women are more likely to be weak or strong supporters of terrorism than men. (p. 37)
    • Age is negatively correlated to support for terrorism, meaning that the older one gets, the less likely he will justify the use of terrorism. (p. 38-39) The study's author suggests this might be due to a real age effect (views moderate for all ages as they get older), or a generational effect (people born in the 1940s vs. the 1980s). Marriage was also a negative factor in supporting terrorism, though the relationship was found to be statistically insignificant. (p. 40)

As stated earlier, the strongest correlated factor in the support for terrorism is anti-Americanism and the perceived threat to Islam from America in the West. The study's author explains the critical role this plays in the support for terrorism in the Muslim world:

It may well be that people support terrorism because they perceive there to be a threat to Islam from the United States. But the relationship could also work the other way. Terrorism is, among other things, a tool of propaganda. One of the key messages of Islamic terrorists is anti-Americanism. Thus, if terrorism is an effective tool of propaganda, it may be that people who support terrorism (for whatever reason) end up having strongly anti-American sentiments because they are persuaded by the terrorists' message. Another, related, explanation argues that people who support terrorism have a psychological need to justify this support. As a result, they adopt views that "rationalize" their support for terrorism. Thus, while they may perceive their support for terrorism to be caused by their anti-American views, the opposite might be the case-they may have adopted anti-Americanism to justify support for terror. Under either of these alternative interpretations, anti-Americanism does not cause support for terror, support for terror causes anti-Americanism. (p. 41-42)

Terrorists have a vested interest in ratcheting up anti-America rhetoric as part of their hate propaganda campaign. Terror and hatred of America and its values go hand-in-hand in the Muslim world unlike any other factor yet studied. Because these two are so strongly correlated, this tells us something about those quick to indict American society and our government's policies.

This new study also shatters the myth of the supposedly peaceful Muslim world advanced recently by CAIR, ISNA and the Orwellian-named Terror Free America. If these organizations are really concerned about combating terror and improving American-Islamic relations, this study clearly demonstrates that they had better start working on the Islamic side of the equation.

Re: New Study: Political Islam Correlated to Support for Terrorism

NEW STUDY: Coffee drinking correlated to early morning automobile crashes

A new study has found that in a large number of early morning car wrecks, many of the drivers had drank coffee within one hour before the accident took place. Most of the drivers where on their way to work researchers say.

(Hey this is just as scientific as your correlated story) ;)
    Last edited by Dawud; 06-16-2007 at 09:10 PM.

BVR USA Liaison Guest

ON CAPITOL HILL
    WorldNetDaily

Muslim congressman called 'security' issue
    Used Quran for swearing-in, accused of associating with radical group
    --WND

He allowed his supporters to shout "Allahu Akbar" (translation "God is Great").

That's a really big security risk!

Think of all of the Christians who shout "Praise the Lord"

Let's put them on the security list also.

BVR USA Liaison Guest

Christians don't strap on bombs and murder innocent women and children!!! :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by BVR USA Liaison
    Ever hear of Eric Roudolph the Evangelical Christian Olympic Bomber?

Or Timmothy McVeigh the Oklahoma City bomber who was a Catholic Christian?

BVR USA Liaison Guest

that's two out of millions, and islamic infidels do it every day and 1.000's of suicide murderers killing innocent victims, themselves and their own people :rolleyes: That's like comparing a small wave to a Tsunami !!! :eek:

dchristie is offline Challenge Authority User Rank

That's only because:

1) They don't have the balls -and

2) The body count is much higher using F-16s, Apache Helicopters and UN Sanctions.
    "The best case against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter"
    -- Winston Churchill

dchristie is offline Challenge Authority User Rank

that's two out of millions, and islamic infidels do it every day and 1.000's of suicide murderers killing innocent victims, themselves and their own people :rolleyes: That's like comparing a small wave to a Tsunami !!! :eek:
    LOL..Out of 1.6 Billion Muslims, even if what you said were statistically accurate, which it's not, they wouldn't exceed Bush's carnage for quite a while. The Bush Crime Gang's Iraqi body count to date: 650,000 +
    Last edited by dchristie; 06-17-2007 at 03:25 AM.
    "The best case against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter"
    -- Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Dawud
    Ever hear of Eric Roudolph the Evangelical Christian Olympic Bomber?

Or Timmothy McVeigh the Oklahoma City bomber who was a Catholic Christian?
    But these two didn't do their deeds in the name of their religion. Muslim's on the other hand, do.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim17
    But these two didn't do their deeds in the name of their religion. Muslim's on the other hand, do. .
    And you know that, how?
    I am not religious, but if you kill a member of my family I will gouge out your eyes and skull-fvck ya, Grim..... and it won't be in the name of any god.
    And if the local Minister happens to give me a condom, don't construe my act as being "religious", k?

Quote Originally Posted by Grim17
    But these two didn't do their deeds in the name of their religion. Muslim's on the other hand, do.

Terrorism Tied To Christian Sect

By Alan Cooperman
    Washington Post Staff Writer

The question is not just whether Rudolph is a terrorist, or whether he considers himself a Christian. It is whether he planted bombs at the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta, two abortion clinics and a gay nightclub to advance a religious ideology -- and how numerous, organized and violent others who share that ideology may be.

Federal investigators believe Rudolph has had a long association with the radical Christian Identity movement, which asserts that North European whites are the direct descendants of the lost tribes of Israel, God's chosen people. Some investigators also think he may have written letters that claimed responsibility for the nightclub and abortion clinic bombings on behalf of the Army of God, a violent offshoot of Christian Identity.

"We declare and will wage total war on the ungodly communist regime in New York and your legaslative bureaucratic lackey's in Washington. It is you who are responsible and preside over the murder of children and issue the policy of ungodly preversion thats destroying our people," one of the letters said, in childish penmanship riddled with errors.

"Based on what we know of Rudolph so far, and admittedly it's fragmentary, there seems to be a fairly high likelihood that he can legitimately be called a Christian terrorist," said Michael Barkun, a professor of political science at Syracuse University who has been a consultant to the FBI on Christian extremist groups.

Investigators have said, however, that it is unclear whether Rudolph genuinely was part of an Army of God or merely claimed to belong to an organized group. According to Barkun, most Christian Identity followers are nonviolent, and the movement's militants generally adhere to the principle of "leaderless resistance," believing that government surveillance is so pervasive that organized groups are bound to be penetrated and it is wiser to act alone.

"I would prefer to say that Rudolph is a religiously inspired terrorist, because most mainstream Christians consider Christian Identity to be a heresy," Aho said. If Christians take umbrage at the juxtaposition of the words "Christian" and "terrorist," he added, "that may give them some idea of how Muslims feel" when they constantly hear the term "Islamic terrorism," especially since the Sept. 11 attacks.

"Religiously inspired terrorism is a worldwide phenomenon, and every major world religion has people who have appropriated the label of their religion in order to legitimize their violence," Aho said.

Not only in Rudolph's case, but also in the case of Oklahoma City bomber Timothy J. McVeigh and Muslim suicide bombers, "there's always the question of what comes first, is it the religious belief or the violent personality?" Aho said. "I'm inclined to believe that people who are violent in their inclinations search out a religious home that justifies their violence."

Rudolph, 36, appears to have found his religious home during his impoverished family's wanderings in his fatherless teenage years.

The FBI believes he was exposed to Christian Identity's ideology in the early 1980s when his mother brought him to live for four months with the Church of Israel, a congregation in Schell City, Mo. Federal investigators have said that after that experience, when he was about 14, Rudolph periodically made contact with Christian Identity groups, including the Aryan Nations, an Idaho-based group that has been influential in the militia movement.
    Gayman, 66, recalled that Rudolph's mother arrived at the church in the Missouri Ozarks about 1981 or '82 with Eric and Jamie, one of his four brothers, and presented herself as a "widow in very destitute condition, with two boys to feed and without money to buy food or gas." He said his congregation took them in "just long enough for them to get back on their feet."

The Church of Israel does not call itself a Christian Identity congregation. But its teachings echo the movement's, which are generally traced to two 19th-century British ministers, John Wilson and Edward Hine, who justified colonialism on the grounds that the British nation was descended from the 10 lost tribes of biblical Israel.

Asked to explain the Church of Israel's racial views, Gayman said, "We teach that God is the creator of all races, that He created them separately and distinctly with their own unique talents and characteristics, and that every race has a purpose in God's plan."

As to the purpose of whites, he said: "I would simply say that we believe that the Caucasian people are the literal descendants of the lost 10 tribes of Israel, and they would occupy a place of prominence in the plan of God."

Because the Christian Identity movement is loosely organized and keeps no membership rolls, its numbers have been estimated at anywhere from 2,000 to 100,000, including many informal chapters in prisons. Many adherents are strongly anti-Semitic, considering themselves to be the true Israelites and Jews to be impostors.

Barkun said the anti-gay and antiabortion positions that may have motivated Rudolph's alleged bombings "are a rather subordinate theme" in Christian Identity. He noted, however, that members of Rudolph's extended family have said he viewed abortion not just as the taking of life, but as a threat to the white race.

Quote Originally Posted by UserName
    And you know that, how?
    I am not religious, but if you kill a member of my family I will gouge out your eyes and skull-fvck ya, Grim..... and it won't be in the name of any god.
    And if the local Minister happens to give me a condom, don't construe my act as being "religious", k?
    Very good one UN!

See, this is what drives people away from religion(s)! Look at all the mayhem
    that has been caused through history in the name of someones "god" and
    everyone has "the right way" and the only road to their reward!
    I was raised Southern Baptist..every Sunday, Wednesday night, every night of
    every revival there ever was untill I got old enough to do otherwise. I believe
    in everyone embracing their chosen religion freely as long as they dont cram
    it down anyone elses throat....but, thats not the way it works!

I embrace no religion. I do practice telling the truth, helping anyone who needs
    help, respecting differences (except where illegal immigration is concerned :D ),
    being responsible, helping animals and old people (the gap is narrowing), and I
    would do the same for kids but Ive seen none on the side of the road or
    in need of assistance just to live and I believe in being kind to others as I
    wish them to be kind to me. I would never steal anything, lie or intentionally
    harm anyone or anything. But, I guess that makes me a heretic or something!
    I believe there is something after this life whatever anyone wants to call it....
    Heaven, another plane of existance, pure energy.....whatever...hope there is.

All this dogma and mud slinging is unsettling and useless....but go ahead and enjoy yourselves.....its still a sort of free country.

But if anyone tries to harm me, my family, a defensless person, or my animals I will respond with
    violence! And thats a promise.