+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Angies List.com

Angies List.com

Angies List is a for profit business that attempts to give reports on good expereinces and bad experiences on business's around the US.

Angies List advertises that, companies do not pay to be listed on our service, consumers do.

BUT,

Nothing stops business owners from paying for the service and writing something positive about their own business..

How do consumers know that the person posting something positive about the business does not have financial gain from doing so?

If you want to do a more detailed background check on business, I reccomend going to the Better Business Bureau. www.bbb.org

Re: Angies List.com

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyJimmy
    Angies List is a for profit business that attempts to give reports on good expereinces and bad experiences on business's around the US.

Angies List advertises that, companies do not pay to be listed on our service, consumers do.

BUT,

Nothing stops business owners from paying for the service and writing something positive about their own business..

How do consumers know that the person posting something positive about the business does not have financial gain from doing so?

If you want to do a more detailed background check on business, I reccomend going to the Better Business Bureau. www.bbb.org
    You're kidding, right? The BBB is totally a membership driven organization. It is basically extortion to get a good review. How do I know that? I was a member for many years.

Most of these organizaions have to get their money from somewhere. Just look at 1-800-dentist.

Yes, but the BBB actually does do a background check, How do I know?, my company is a member. Its the best way I found to "market" trust.

Unfortunatly there is no www.god.com consumers can go to , to make sure we are honest and going to do business, honest and ethically..

In the industry that I am in, it really helps to tell people that I have a perfect record, and that I am an "open book" check me out!

I don't see it as extortion at all. They take a large work load off of the Government by taking complaints and trying to resolvem them.

I get newsletters monthly on the BBB kicking companies out who don't meet their standards.

How much do customers have to pay?

COMPLETELY disagree that Angie’s List is a good thing. I work for a company that does home remodeling. A third party tried to hire my employer to do work on a house that they don’t own. When my employer stated that for the company to do the work they would have to have authorization in writing from the home owner the person became irate. Then the person requested that my employer deliver building materials for a $25 fee (normal delivery from the store in question is $75). In the interest of good-will my employer did that and then just out of pure spite because my employer refused to do work on a property without proper authorization this person went on Angie’s List completely slamming my employer. My employer NEVER knew Angie’s List even existed and has an “A+” rating with the BBB for over 15 years. Long story short, Angie’s List is a way for crack-pot type people who hold grudges to pay money and then attempt to ruin others when they don’t get their way.

I need a good motorcycle shop, so I thought I'd try this service. The price seemed a bit high, so I passed. Over the next couple weeks, I received email offers of 20% off, then 40% off, so I went back.

When I opened a Paypal account to purchase the service (OK, start the flames for me being dumb enough to use Paypal!), I found that the price before the discount had increased by $10. Before I could abort, a Page Could Not be Displayed message aborted for me.

Went back to pay without Paypal, and after I entered my credit card, the rest of the form was filled out--but not with current info or info that the credit card company has on file, or that I gave in my Paypal setup. Where did Angieslist get that information? Why did they have it? I stopped right there and will not be back. They are probably in violation of some federal law, but I don't know that I could prove it.

Like any user-based service, this list is subject to manipulation by unscrupulous insiders. I see that sometimes on resellerratings.com, but one can usually pick out the ringers, as the people aren't even smart enough to give any mediocre ratings. There have to be lots of reviews over a significant time period for them to be meaningful. I don't see angieslist being worth $40 a year in any case, and I really don't like them invading my privacy!

Anyone know a good, reasonable HD cycle repair shop around Houston?