+ Reply to Thread

Dissapearing H2O?

OK,

This is probably easily explained (I hope) but not by me...

I had a sealed ziplock bag full of ice cubes, I dropped it in the sink and there it sat for three days...I know all of the icecubes melted, so then it was a sealed bag of water...when I picked up the bag later in the week, the water was gone, but the air in the bag was not (gone). My question is how did that happen? Oh, btw if you could explain it on a first or second grade level it would be appreciated :) Thanks in advance Pete.

Re: Dissapearing H2O?

Quote Originally Posted by jigglepete
    OK,

This is probably easily explained (I hope) but not by me...

I had a sealed ziplock bag full of ice cubes, I dropped it in the sink and there it sat for three days...I know all of the icecubes melted, so then it was a sealed bag of water...when I picked up the bag later in the week, the water was gone, but the air in the bag was not (gone). My question is how did that happen? Oh, btw if you could explain it on a first or second grade level it would be appreciated :) Thanks in advance Pete.
    Beats me. I'm guessing since the water was gone there was probably a small hole in the bag that it leaked out. As for why there was still air in it... I'm not sure. Maybe the bag was strong enough to support its own weight and keep its shape even though there was nothing in it, that's the only thing I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by kazza
    Beats me. I'm guessing since the water was gone there was probably a small hole in the bag that it leaked out. As for why there was still air in it... I'm not sure. Maybe the bag was strong enough to support its own weight and keep its shape even though there was nothing in it, that's the only thing I can think of.
    Talk about confusing, now that the humidity outside is at about 83%, some of the water is back in the bag... :confused: and it seems that some of the air in the bag was displaced...weird...

I should probabaly just throw out the bag and forget about it...but now my curiosity has peaked...

Do you live alone? someone could have interfered with it. Also, some ziplock bags have tiny pores inorder to keep food fresh.
    Last edited by Qi123; 06-03-2007 at 11:47 PM.

slower Guest

As the bag thaws out and warms, the air within it will expand, increasing its pressure. This will force the water (which is incompressible) out through any tiny leak (such as a pinhole or an imperfect ziplok seal) that may have been below the water level. Excess air will also exit until the pressure of air remaining within the bag becomes equal to local atmospheric pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Qi123
    Do you live alone? someone could have interfered with it. Also, some ziplock bags have tiny pores inorder to keep food fresh.
    Thank you, yes I do live alone...pores? sounds good to me...

Quote Originally Posted by slower
    As the bag thaws out and warms, the air within it will expand, increasing its pressure. This will force the water (which is incompressible) out through any tiny leak (such as a pinhole or an imperfect ziplok seal) that may have been below the water level. Excess air will also exit until the pressure of air remaining within the bag becomes equal to local atmospheric pressure.
    That makes perfect sense! Thanks, and I hope you consider being a teacher if you aren't already...now...to the landfill!

Hey now you better recycle that bag!!! Don't send it to the landfill. I have to admit I was a bit worried when I read the topic of this thread. Disappearing H2O!?!? gosh what next!? Turn out to be amusing not alarming like I expected

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy2207
    Hey now you better recycle that bag!!! Don't send it to the landfill. I have to admit I was a bit worried when I read the topic of this thread. Disappearing H2O!?!? gosh what next!? Turn out to be amusing not alarming like I expected
    Ha, Ha...sorry about the shock... :D (note to self...skip land fill...recycle ;) )

good explanations but i was ready ta quit at...."lives alone"....!?hehe!!....just askn...
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you