+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Celestia

Celestia

This is a great program I stumbled across last night. It lets you take a 3D tour of the Universe. It is one of the most humbling things I have ever come across. I'm not sure why, because intellectually I was aware of the vast distances between planets and stars, but to be controlling the camera as you move through the solar system, to see Earth suspended in nothingness, to zoom out and see the Sun suspended in nothingness, to go even further and see our Galaxy suspended in nothingness. Wow. It's breathtaking, and quite disturbing.

Program Here:
    http://www.shatters.net/celestia/

Takes a few minutes to learn the navigation. When you first start the program click on Render in the menu at the top, then View Options, then uncheck Galaxies (otherwise it runs really slow). To navigate use a mouse wheel to zoom in and out, hold left mouse button to rotate the camera, the right mouse button to rotate around whatever you are focused on (Earth at first). To focus on something else either click on it in the window so that it's name appears in the top right, or click Navigation menu, then Select Object and type in the object name. Once it says the name in the top right press F and you will be focused on that object.

Re: Celestia

You're really gonna keep us busy huh? We have a weekly series that just started on the History channel here in america called "The Universe." Fascinating. Last week was all about the sun, this week Mars. Tuesday nights at six here on the west coast.
    The terminally stupid and certifiably insane.

Quote Originally Posted by kazza
    This is a great program I stumbled across last night. It lets you take a 3D tour of the Universe. It is one of the most humbling things I have ever come across. I'm not sure why, because intellectually I was aware of the vast distances between planets and stars, but to be controlling the camera as you move through the solar system, to see Earth suspended in nothingness, to zoom out and see the Sun suspended in nothingness, to go even further and see our Galaxy suspended in nothingness. Wow. It's breathtaking, and quite disturbing.

Program Here:
    http://www.shatters.net/celestia/

Takes a few minutes to learn the navigation. When you first start the program click on Render in the menu at the top, then View Options, then uncheck Galaxies (otherwise it runs really slow). To navigate use a mouse wheel to zoom in and out, hold left mouse button to rotate the camera, the right mouse button to rotate around whatever you are focused on (Earth at first). To focus on something else either click on it in the window so that it's name appears in the top right, or click Navigation menu, then Select Object and type in the object name. Once it says the name in the top right press F and you will be focused on that object.

i have a program called "stellarium" off the net and my only complaint is the resolution of all special objects.like a galaxy!?if you zoom in on it it is not in the same contrast range as the background like a cut and paste job!?takes away from the realism of the experience!?hehe!!...just askn...
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

i happen to stumble on another free program that is a real challenge for would be space navigators!?it's called "orbiter" and it looks awesome!?the only drawback is it uses REAL PHYSICS modeling for the spaceflights!?so no arcade flying style allowed!?SHUCKS!!....hehe!!...just askn
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

Hah, yeah, Orbiter can be a real pain, but there are loads of beautiful plug-ins and add-ons. Fantastic program.

Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong. User Rank

Celestia has been around for decades. It is far more advanced with way more information now, but I remember using it back in 1988 to view the night sky at any time (day or night) from any number of major cities or a user entered lat/long.