+ Reply to Thread

computer repair scam?

My friend runs a computer repair business out of his home. He got this reply from where he advertised on Craig's List. It just doesn't seem right to me, but I can't find anything about it on line.
    Any advise, please???
    Thanks!

Hello,
    How you doing?

My name is Mary Hamford,i hail from UK and right now i work in Germany I read description and am instrested in your services,I will be importing some computer into the states.The PC are laptops pentium 3 dell computer ..i want you to Install software, clean inner & outer computer components, update software to current status

Get back to me with you total cost for the services of 10 computer.i will like You to know that my mode of payment is by check.

I await your urgent response so that i can put the arrangement in order.
    Thanks

Hello,
    Thanks for the reply. I am okay with the price.I will provide the software you will need.you are to install anti virus,microsoft excel,powerpoint,adobe pagemaker,microsoft office,coral draw,dvd player.
    However, based on your mail . I will instruct my client to forward u a check of about $4800 from which i will like you to deduct the money for your services and you will help me send down the balance through WESTERN UNION OFFICE to my shipper That will be shipping the PC's into the states
    Please i will need your full name and address and your phone # so as to prepare the check and shipping of the computer to your address. i have a reliable shipper that will pickup the PC's when you are done.
    I am looking forward to hear from you.
    Thanks.

Re: computer repair scam?

RUN DO NOT WALK FROM THIS JERK!
    Here is the tipoff (BIG red flag)
    I will instruct my client to forward u a check of about $4800 from which i will like you to deduct the money for your services and you will help me send down the balance through WESTERN UNION OFFICE to my shipper

This is a classic overpayment scam. Avoid at all costs and immediately break off communication with them.

PS. the check is bad but you will have sent your money to them by Western Union long before the bank notices and takes it back.

There is something up there. Not sure what it is. He hasn't asked for any money yet, right? Why would he send 10 computers overseas, pay for shipping and $4800 to have someone install software?? Just doesn't make sense.

1st off...what moron owns 10 computers, but doesn't know how to install software? 2nd, there are no PC shops in Germany? Sounds like a scam, but can't figure out the angle. I would love to continue monitoring the conversation.

Jax

Quote Originally Posted by msd1948
    RUN DO NOT WALK FROM THIS JERK!
    Here is the tipoff (BIG red flag)
    I will instruct my client to forward u a check of about $4800 from which i will like you to deduct the money for your services and you will help me send down the balance through WESTERN UNION OFFICE to my shipper

This is a classic overpayment scam. Avoid at all costs and immediately break off communication with them.

PS. the check is bad but you will have sent your money to them by Western Union long before the bank notices and takes it back.
    Yeah...The Western Union comment got me too. When you see that - run!

ok, so if he gets the check and cashes it and waits to see if it clears would that be okay? He says he was just going to go cash it at a checkngo or something because he doesn't have a bank account.
    Thanks for your help. I knew something wasn't right!

6. 05-30-2007, 11:20 PM

Reason
    errors in composing

It can sometimes take a month before it's cleared. It also may be counterfit. Do an internet search on Overpayment Scams. It's not too much of a reach to see how this version is very similar to others.

Your friend is free to do what he wants, but since you asked - Way too many red flags. They are counting on your friend wanting to make a good sale, and your friend may be temporarily blinded by just what a good deal this guy wants.

Oh by the way, UK working in Germany? Many scammers use the excuse that they're from the US working in Nigeria or the UK.

These magic beans will not grow - trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by michele0987
    ok, so if he gets the check and cashes it and waits to see if it clears would that be okay? He says he was just going to go cash it at a checkngo or something because he doesn't have a bank account.
    Thanks for your help. I knew something wasn't right!
    I have a very strong feeling that before your friend receives a check, the person from Germany will be asking him for money. And it will most likely be Western Union. Just curious where he's going with this.

Be cautiously pestimistic!

Thank you for all of your help! I think it helped my friend to see that I wasn't the only one who thought this sounded too good to be true. He sent an email back to this person saying that it sounded like a scam and that he needed more information (phone number, address, name of business, etc) before he would proceed. Needless to say, there hasn't been a response.
    Thank you all for your quick replies!

That was one heck of scam! Good thing you have realized too. Well, thanks for sharing this with us. I sure now what to do should I encouter this message. Thanks!
    a link was here
    Last edited by Meri Widow; 09-20-2010 at 08:05 AM. Reason: affiliate links go in siggy line

Good job spotting this one. Payments through Western Union are usually iffy especially for amounts as big as the one the email listed.