+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is MLM a "Quixotic" endeavour?

I stumbled on this word the other night, "quixotic" meaning...(interesting that Amway went by "QUIXtar"...I wonder...)

"1. Caught up in the romance of noble deeds and the pursuit of unreachable goals; idealistic without regard to practicality."

I love MLM, or at least the idea of MLM, it's a brilliant concept, nobel, lofty ideals, on paper, but in reality, it can be a heart-breaking experience, like any business.

I know from personal experience, and was reminded of it when I recently read a link posted by Richard Brooke, one of MLM's best and brightest. One of our more enlightened members here, noagenda, posted the link on the Legal NetworkMarketing Guidelines thread today, just after I read it on MLM.com last night too! weird... Here's the RBBrooke link!

...and in that blog post was the following...it was sort of a rally cry from Richard. ( I think it was posted originally in 2009 fyi-oh56)

Quote Originally Posted by RBBrooke
    The shared vision of Network Marketers could be this:

To bring a new paradigm of abundance and wealth building into existence so that most people…

~ Understand how and why Network Marketing could work for them;

~ Admire and respect those who succeed, just as they admire those who succeed in equities, real estate and small business;

~ Trust the business model based on our ethics, our candor, our commitment to build trust and respect;

~ And have one primary Network Marketing business, in which they are building residual income.

Imagine … almost everyone you know is building wealth through the residual income of their chosen Network Marketing company, just like they are investing in equities and real estate. Now there are three ways to build wealth, and everyone knows it.
    Wonderful, inspiring vision of the potential of MLM. I have to admit.

My question is this, that vision, of everyone "in MLM", is Richard Brooke a modern day Don Quixote or a visionary leader with a noble inspiring, ATTAINABLE vision?

Is his 'vision' of everyone using MLM even practical?

If everyone is 'in', who would everyone "sell" to?

I mean, if MLM is popular, like on Oprah popular, with people excited, giddy about MLM/DS... everyone you approach would already be in one, wouldn't they?

SATURATION?

Is his dream of everyone doing MLM "Quxoitic"?

Is that vision a tool used to fan the flames, or an achievable, attainable goal for millions of hopeful business builders?

...just a question/observation.

Kerry

oh56
    Last edited by ohein56; 09-04-2013 at 03:39 PM.
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Re: Is MLM a "Quixotic" endeavour?

Quote Originally Posted by ohein56 View Post
    I stumbled on this word the other night, "quixotic" meaning...(interesting that Amway went by "QUIXtar"...I wonder...)

"1. Caught up in the romance of noble deeds and the pursuit of unreachable goals; idealistic without regard to practicality."

I love MLM, or at least the idea of MLM, it's a brilliant concept, nobel, lofty ideals, on paper, but in reality, it can be a heart-breaking experience, like any business.

I know from personal experience, and was reminded of it when I recently read a link posted by Richard Brooke, one of MLM's best and brightest. One of our more enlightened members here, noagenda, posted the link on the Legal NetworkMarketing Guidelines thread today, just after I read it on MLM.com last night too! weird... Here's the RBBrooke link!

...and in that blog post was the following...it was sort of a rally cry from Richard. ( I think it was posted originally in 2009 fyi-oh56)

My question is this, that vision, of everyone "in MLM", is Richard Brooke a modern day Don Quixote or a visionary leader with a noble inspiring, ATTAINABLE vision?

I mean, if MLM is popular, like on Oprah popular, with people excited, giddy about MLM/DS... everyone you approach would already be in one, wouldn't they?

SATURATION?

Is that vision a tool used to fan the flames, or an achievable, attainable goal for millions of hopeful business builders?

Kerry

oh56
    For MLM to work there has to be:
    1. A relatively small number of leaders.
    2. Full timers
    3. Part timers
    4. Wholesale customers
    5. Retail customers.

In this way, everyone can be in MLM with no fear of saturation.
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDoyle View Post
    For MLM to work there has to be:
    1. A relatively small number of leaders.
    2. Full timers
    3. Part timers
    4. Wholesale customers
    5. Retail customers.

In this way, everyone can be in MLM with no fear of saturation.
    So, in your mind, the potential is there for everyone to be "in" MLM at some level?

Would we all have lists of people that we buy different stuff from, at RETAIL, but the leaders "build" only one, is that how it'd work? Everyone...?

Remember, it's on Oprah, every day, we'd see commercials, print adds, billboards constantly, MLM this, MLM that...

Is that realistic?

Just playing devil's advocate a little...

:rasta:
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

SATURATION?

Kerry

oh56
    I like his “vision” of the ideal MLM environment. The reality is you hope that MLM, like any noble endeavor can at least attain the outline of that vision. To change from within the corrosive culture that has as he says “destroyed dreams” and permeated the perception of a corrupt system. There will always be a high attrition in MLM. That in itself justifies its viability. As you say if everyone was in it who would you sell to ? What you want is the ease of entry , exit and re-entry into the system without the current stigma that seems to be attached to it. People do not begrudge failure. They cannot tolerate fraud or the perception of it. As Brooke says MLM must shift the paradigm.

So, in your mind, the potential is there for everyone to be "in" MLM at some level?

Would we all have lists of people that we buy different stuff from, at RETAIL, but the leaders "build" only one, is that how it'd work? Everyone...?

Remember, it's on Oprah, every day, we'd see commercials, print adds, billboards constantly, MLM this, MLM that...

Is that realistic?

Just playing devil's advocate a little...

:rasta:
    I'm not saying it will happen, I'm saying it could work without saturation in the form I posted.
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

I remember a top distributor once saying "the aim is not to sign up the whole world as distributors but to get the whole world as customers", not forgetting of course that distributors are customers too.

Quote Originally Posted by noagenda View Post
    I like his “vision” of the ideal MLM environment.
    Something that the general marketplace in the US is NOT. Far from what I'd call "ideal". jmo
    The reality is you hope that MLM, like any noble endeavor can at least attain the outline of that vision.
    Yep, it always starts with a dream...
    To change from within the corrosive culture that has as he says “destroyed dreams” and permeated the perception of a corrupt system.
    That's greed rearing it's ugly head...
    There will always be a high attrition in MLM. That in itself justifies its viability.
    How's that? Please explain what you mean?
    As you say if everyone was in it who would you sell to ? What you want is the ease of entry, exit and re-entry into the system without the current stigma that seems to be attached to it.
    IMO, ease of entry already exists. Many companies joining fees are under $500.00, many under $100.00, some even free...!
    People do not begrudge failure.
    I think they do, often.
    They cannot tolerate fraud or the perception of it.
    As they should pretty much,...perception isn't always reality though...? There's the "opportunity", I guess, straightening out those inaccurate 'perceptions'.

As Brooke says MLM must shift the paradigm.
    Easier said than done...very much so...

I did like what he suggested from the corporate side of things...

Corporate Commitments:

~ A commitment to the longevity of their Network Marketing compensation model. A 100-plus year Network Marketing business plan.
    ~ A commitment to honor, champion and protect the sales leaders who build with you. Success is a partnership, with both parties committing 100 percent.
    ~ A commitment to develop the very best products possible, and to market them legally and responsibly.
    ~ A commitment to design and market the opportunity in a way that fosters trust, respect and an environment free of regulatory actions and negative media.
    ~ A commitment to respect and champion every other company’s right to compete, and every leader’s right to choose and build their empire without undue litigation intimidation and harassment.
    ~ A commitment to a clear, concise set of policies and procedures that spells out each party’s rights and responsibilities, and is balanced in its favor. (We cannot expect sales leaders to invest years building something that the company can terminate at any time … “at their sole discretion.”)
    As for the "Leaders" themselves?

Leader Commitments:

~ Do your homework. Find a company that honors your own vision and values, one that is responsible and commited to longevity.
    ~ Marry your company, for the long haul. Soooo many so called "leaders" jump from scam to scam...ing1: it's sad.-oh56
    ~ Follow your company’s policies and procedures. Do not put your company at risk with unethical marketing or business practices. Check your facts. Just because someone else said it, doesn’t make it true.
    ~ Follow the spirit and intent of your compensation plan. Compensation plans are designed to incentivize specific behaviors and a specific culture. Undermining the plan undermines the culture.
    ~ If a divorce is absolutely necessary, do it with honor, integrity and generosity. When it is clear you made a mistake, get out quick and get out clean. Don’t expect to be paid to compete with your former company. There is no leadership or integrity in such an expectation. Also, don’t promote your new company at the public relations expense of your previous company. Remember, at one time you said that they were the best there was.
    ~ Be a “Do the Right Thing” leader. You know what the right thing is. Do that...
    ~~~~~
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDoyle View Post
    I'm not saying it will happen, I'm saying it could work without saturation in the form I posted.
    I'm sure it would to, just for the sake of debate...though...the thought of MLM being popular & on Oprah, billboards, radio, print etc...just makes 'saturation' easier to imagine happening is all.
    ~~~~~
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

What you want is the ease of entry , exit and re-entry into the system without the current stigma that seems to be attached to it.
    This has two aspects two it.

(1) There's the pro MLM groups that disparage people as "quitters" and "losers" - or used to, not sure if any still do. That's extremely damaging (not to mention stupid and disrespectful)

(2) Then there's the anti-MLMers who promote the idea that everyone who didn't go super triple double Jupiter Ambassador are "failures" and prove MLM doesn't work.

There is nothing wrong with people joining an MLM and sitting around and enjoying the products and even the business environment without actually prioritising it enough to reach high levels. They need to be accepted by everyone.

New to scam.com? This is what you can expect from MLM critics in support of their claims ....

Why the f-u-c-k do you need evidence all the time? - Zapticon
    You know that I don't provide proof of my claims - Once Upon A Time
    I have the information but I'm not posting it - Joecool

How's that? Please explain what you mean?
    You explained it yourself:

Many companies joining fees are under $500.00, many under $100.00, some even free...!
    The ease of entry, exit and reentry should be a good selling point to MLM. Attrition is just a by-product of that ease.

The ease of entry, exit and reentry should be a good selling point to MLM. Attrition is just a by-product of that ease.
    Yup, it's not a symptom of a negative, it's a symptom of a positive.

New to scam.com? This is what you can expect from MLM critics in support of their claims ....

Why the f-u-c-k do you need evidence all the time? - Zapticon
    You know that I don't provide proof of my claims - Once Upon A Time
    I have the information but I'm not posting it - Joecool

James R is offline I'm no crook...my upline told me to do it!

Then why are YOU not in it?

As far as being "Quix".....whatever.

That is left for the MLM experts like yourself who would fall such an elementary concept.

Hope this helps!
    Excited about Nopalea Cactus Juice? Learn how to make your own for FREE!
    Don't be another "$50 a bottle" sucker....best of all you know exaclty what's in it. Click HERE.

Here's a good one....
    "That's why I changed my 'story'".
    Where else can you find this nonsense besides here?

SATURATION?

Kerry

oh56
    I think it is not Quixotic. I guess a similarity is that don Quixote and the average MLMer are searching for meaning in their lives and undertake tasks to find that meaning. But I believe don Quixote's quest is truly altruistic. He wants the world to be a place where brave knights save damsels in distress. The MLMer's quest is more about himself. He wants meaning, but also respect, and money, and undertakes tasks that are more about himself than helping others, despite what MLM rhetoric says.

"Lofty ideals" is marketing spin.

Yawn... is offline I ain't got time for pedantic Ghandi type internet nerds

As in Don Quixote - a tragic character of literature that goes mad (among other things).

From which the term 'Quixotic' is derived.

James R is offline I'm no crook...my upline told me to do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Yawn... View Post
    As in Don Quixote - a tragic character of literature that goes mad (among other things).

From which the term 'Quixotic' is derived.
    Or IBOfightback's "Quixtar" from back in the day.

It's starting to make sense now.

I always wondered where that name came from.
    Excited about Nopalea Cactus Juice? Learn how to make your own for FREE!
    Don't be another "$50 a bottle" sucker....best of all you know exaclty what's in it. Click HERE.

Here's a good one....
    "That's why I changed my 'story'".
    Where else can you find this nonsense besides here?

Yawn... is offline I ain't got time for pedantic Ghandi type internet nerds

Quote Originally Posted by James R View Post
    Or IBOfightback's "Quixtar" from back in the day.

It's starting to make sense now.

I always wondered where that name came from.
    Oh the irony ... Quixtar .... Quixotic ....

Indeed, MLM does seem to be a "Quixotic" endeavour

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    This is an excellent arrangement by The Marine Corps Band, and Jim Neighbors playing Gomer Pyle.

The play 'Man of La Mancha'